Yay! YEEHAW, it's Shootin' Time

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
Oooo - a blow gun might be more up my alley - I don't like loud weapons. We're looking at crossbows, and we've swords, daggers including some that might as well be short swords, machetes....
Careful on crossbows, especially the older ones. Strings for older models (those with just the crossbar, no cams) can be very tough to locate. Unless you deeply trust your local archery shop to be competent to make one, best to shop around, online even. A local shop always did me good with all the bows I own. Never an issue with strings until they said they could make one for my old Powermaster crossbow (made in 1965 by Wham-O). Turns out they just took a bow string and wound the loops smaller so it'd not slip over the arm tips. HINT: that's not the way to do it. It put so much stress on the loops that on my first firing one loop broke and just missed removing my nose off my face.

Spend the money on a new model crossbow, you'll appreciate the ease of finding components.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Careful on crossbows, especially the older ones. Strings for older models (those with just the crossbar, no cams) can be very tough to locate. Unless you deeply trust your local archery shop to be competent to make one, best to shop around, online even. A local shop always did me good with all the bows I own. Never an issue with strings until they said they could make one for my old Powermaster crossbow (made in 1965 by Wham-O). Turns out they just took a bow string and wound the loops smaller so it'd not slip over the arm tips. HINT: that's not the way to do it. It put so much stress on the loops that on my first firing one loop broke and just missed removing my nose off my face.

Spend the money on a new model crossbow, you'll appreciate the ease of finding components.
That's the plan - we're looking for some new ones, including looking at a pistol grip one for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: Caete

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
That's the plan - we're looking for some new ones, including looking at a pistol grip one for me.
You might want to consider a spear gun. My stepfather worked for US Divers and brought one home and it saved our bacon, so to speak.

Some guy (high as a kite and violent) broke into our house and got as far as the kitchen when my Mom ran out of the bedroom with the loaded spear gun and shot him in the thigh. He ran and got as far as the alley before he dropped and the cops hauled him off. This was an old one with cartridges but the new ones are pretty powerful.

A flare gun will put the drop on someone's ass pretty quick too if they're up close and personal and they're very handy to have camping and on a boat.

My self defense preferences lean toward bear pepper spray, cast iron frying pans and a Cutco meat cleaver, but having options is not a bad thing.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
You might want to consider a spear gun. My stepfather worked for US Divers and brought one home and it saved our bacon, so to speak.

Some guy (high as a kite and violent) broke into our house and got as far as the kitchen when my Mom ran out of the bedroom with the loaded spear gun and shot him in the thigh. He ran and got as far as the alley before he dropped and the cops hauled him off. This was an old one with cartridges but the new ones are pretty powerful.

A flare gun will put the drop on someone's ass pretty quick too if they're up close and personal and they're very handy to have camping and on a boat.

My self defense preferences lean toward bear pepper spray, cast iron frying pans and a Cutco meat cleaver, but having options is not a bad thing.
Oh, good suggestion - since three of the four people in our house have medical, guns are currently out of the question, because background checks - but there are all sorts of other weapons. I also still like the idea of blowguns though.

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Machetes are common in our house....I keep an aluminum bat.. tho they say you should keep a glove nearby so you can tell the judge you play baseball in your spare time.

• 1Like
Reactions: Rose Karuna

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Doesn't everyone take a machete with them when they go camping? Or are we the only ones left that don't hit the campgrounds?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
When I was a kid, we had a fairly dense hedge and no power trimmer. It was too heavy for those long clipers, and cutting each branch with clippers would take forever. I got very good with a machete.

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
The Ohio shooting was a cluster from the start. The 911 caller repeatedly told the dispatcher that the guy "was pointing the gun at shoppers and may have loaded it with bullets." “He’s, like, pointing it at people,” “He was pointing at people. Children walking by.” He told reporters the same story and in his statement to police. It wasn't until a month later when security footage showed otherwise that the 911 caller revised his statement to “At no point did he shoulder the rifle and point it at somebody,”.

It was horrible that he was killed. The cops were pretty much lead to believe it was an active shooter type of situation they were responding to. The one officer who shot overreacted imo. However I still lay a good portion of the blame on the caller who played up what was happening, probably to be a media hero imo.

Doubts cast on witness's account of black man killed by police in Walmart

Ohio Walmart video reveals moments before officer killed John Crawford

So for mosyapolitic to state that a black man was killed by cops for looking at guns is a gross injustice to all parties involved.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The Ohio shooting was a cluster from the start. The 911 caller repeatedly told the dispatcher that the guy "was pointing the gun at shoppers and may have loaded it with bullets." “He’s, like, pointing it at people,” “He was pointing at people. Children walking by.” He told reporters the same story and in his statement to police. It wasn't until a month later when security footage showed otherwise that the 911 caller revised his statement to “At no point did he shoulder the rifle and point it at somebody,”.

It was horrible that he was killed. The cops were pretty much lead to believe it was an active shooter type of situation they were responding to. The one officer who shot overreacted imo. However I still lay a good portion of the blame on the caller who played up what was happening, probably to be a media hero imo.

Doubts cast on witness's account of black man killed by police in Walmart

Ohio Walmart video reveals moments before officer killed John Crawford

So for mosyapolitic to state that a black man was killed by cops for looking at guns is a gross injustice to all parties involved.
So at the time the police arrived, he presented no obvious threat to anyone? He wasn't aiming, or brandishing, a gun when they shot him?

Why did they think they needed to use lethal force at that point?

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
So at the time the police arrived, he presented no obvious threat to anyone? He wasn't aiming, or brandishing, a gun when they shot him?

Why did they think they needed to use lethal force at that point?
They didn't think they needed to use lethal force at that point. They saw an opportunity to kill a black man with no consequence and they acted on it. This is the country they want. SRSLY

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Stop posting about the U.S., Innula.

Not because you don't understand, but because understanding is EMBARRASSINGLY EASY TO COME BY.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Indiana police set as state handgun permit requirement ends
Scott County Sheriff Jerry Goodin said his department is ready to enforce the law but noted that the change will make their jobs more difficult.

"There's going to be a lot of changes in Indiana because of the law," he said. "A guy can stand out there — or a girl or whoever with a rifle, an AR-15 or a handgun — and stand there on a sidewalk looking at the school. The difference is this: We can't even stop and ask them what they're doing because of this law."
Unless they are a person of color, of course.

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
Ammosexuals like Greene love to harp on about knife crime in the UK, but the American knife crime homicide rate is about 50% higher than the British knife crime homicide rate.

And the law she was talking about - the one that forces home owners in Kennessaw, Georgia to have a gun - actually isn't enforced. It's also a very small town and there are still murders happening there.

Also, if you support forcing people to buy guns, you shouldn't get to pretend caring about freedom.

Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I got shot in the leg with a speargun once. It's no fucking fun. And that was just a rubber-hose manually loaded one.