The Catholic Church Should Burn

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
It was probably something really simple like, "I baptize thee in the name of the Holy Spirit." I doubt the other two would (Father and Son) even be mentioned since they didn't exist yet.
I'm not sure when the concept of the triune God came to be, but God has always been seen as The Father, as he is the Father of mankind.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
The catholic church is okay with every given member baptizing someone in a case of emergency.
In my view most regular church members don't know the exact wordings by hard nor has holey water at hand constantly, so it doesn't really matters if the right formula is spoken during the procedure and even normal tap water will do.

It is all about the mindset of an extreme conservative bishop IMHO.

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I'm not sure when the concept of the triune God came to be, but God has always been seen as The Father, as he is the Father of mankind.
Sorry, it has not always been The Father. First Council of Nicaea, 325.

In the fourth century, Arianism, as traditionally understood,[c] taught that the Father existed prior to the Son who was not, by nature, God but rather a changeable creature who was granted the dignity of becoming "Son of God".[65] In 325, the First Council of Nicaea adopted the Nicene Creed which described Christ as "God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father", and the "Holy Ghost" as the one by which "was incarnate... of the Virgin Mary".[66][67] ("the Word was made flesh and dwelled among us"). About the Father and the Son, the creed used the term homoousios (of one substance) to define the relationship between the Father and the Son. After more than fifty years of debate, homoousios was recognised as the hallmark of orthodoxy, and was further developed into the formula of "three persons, one being".

The Confession of the First Council of Nicaea, the Nicene Creed, said little about the Holy Spirit.[68] At the First Council of Nicea (325) all attention was focused on the relationship between the Father and the Son, without making any similar statement about the Holy Spirit. In the words of the creed:

We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of all things visible and invisible. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, begotten of the Father [the only-begotten; that is, of the essence of the Father, God of God,] Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father; ... And [we believe] in the Holy Ghost. .

The word "trinity" does not appear in the Old Testament or the New.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Sorry, it has not always been The Father. First Council of Nicaea, 325.

The word "trinity" does not appear in the Old Testament or the New.
Well, except that John the Baptist was Jewish, and so was Jeshua, so you'd figure that it'd be based on Judaism, right?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Well, except that John the Baptist was Jewish, and so was Jeshua, so you'd figure that it'd be based on Judaism, right?
Probably a weird, eschatological or millennial end-times Judaism that was around at the time.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Soen Eber and Lexxi

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Don't immanentize the eschaton!

• 1Like
Reactions: Soen Eber

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Southern Baptists: "Hold my beer."

Newly leaked letter details allegations that Southern Baptist leaders mishandled sex abuse claims
New allegations about the mishandling of sex abuse claims at the highest levels of the Southern Baptist Convention were made public in a recent letter between two high-profile leaders that was obtained Friday by The Washington Post.

While such allegations have been made by several women in the past, the letter includes new details from internal conversations, alleging that some institutional leaders bullied a sexual abuse victim, who was called a “whore,” and described in detail how many leaders resisted sexual abuse reforms.

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
If only. They've seen how their community treats outsiders, many would rather put up with the abuse they get as an insider than risk being alone and made a target by the community they abandoned.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Last edited:

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
If only. They've seen how their community treats outsiders, many would rather put up with the abuse they get as an insider than risk being alone and made a target by the community they abandoned.
I read an article about a guy who started doubting and took the risk and ended up abandoned his community after being fed some information from a friend through the limited internet connection.

They grew up in these Extreme religious families and cults which control all information. They eventually grow up in the Church and follow their parents footsteps. they don't even know what the World looks like from the outside. When you only have one view.... it can be difficult to make an informed opinion... and once your older it's nearly impossible to change when it makes up your very existence.

Knowledge is power. People can't get help if they don't know it exist..

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I read an article about a guy who started doubting and took the risk and ended up abandoned his community after being fed some information from a friend through the limited internet connection.

They grew up in these Extreme religious families and cults which control all information. They eventually grow up in the Church and follow their parents footsteps. they don't even know what the World looks like from the outside. When you only have one view.... it can be difficult to make an informed opinion... and once your older it's nearly impossible to change when it makes up your very existence.

Knowledge is power. People can't get help if they don't know it exist..
Also, in some cases, these kids can be reached, but not through ostracization; look at the one godson of David Dukes.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
While we're on the topic of religion, I would dearly love to crucify whoever at Microsoft is forcing Edge on me. After half an hour I've finally uninstalled it and forced it to (hopefully) never return. I had to do it because because Edge wasn't allowing me to log into any favorite sites and blew up an install I'd downloaded for work.

Last edited:

Zaida Gearbox

Go []therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:19

The word Trinity comes into use in the 2nd century, but the concept is there in the New Testament and very clearly in the writings of St. Ignatius of Antioch. In the Orthodox church the tree men who go and visit Abraham were not angels but a manifestation of the Trinity.

• 1Meh
Reactions: Govi