Coup in the USA?

Monica Dream

Jesus -he knows me ...and he knows I'm right!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
I have no sympathy for him. He's certainly old enough to know that actions have consequences, though I have a feeling his mother may have shielded him from learning that lesson for most of his life.
The shielding continues -isn't he being (or has been) moved to a cushy prison that will give him his organic diet?

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The shielding continues -isn't he being (or has been) moved to a cushy prison that will give him his organic diet?
Is it "shielding," though, to provide prison inmates with halal, kosher or vegetarian meals, even after they're been convicted, to accommodate the particular dietary restrictions imposed by their religion?

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ellie

Ellie

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a Rainbow Pootbeam
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
Dan Rather. He's not ready to let it go.

A lot in here.

The Echoes of January 6

But I just can’t let this go. And the more people, including many Republicans in Congress who were there that day, who were under attack, argue that we need to “unify” and move beyond it, well the more hopping mad I get.

Monica Dream

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
Is it "shielding," though, to provide prison inmates with halal, kosher or vegetarian meals, even after they're been convicted, to accommodate the particular dietary restrictions imposed by their religion?
If someone can point out to me the religion that requires a keto/organic diet, I'm all eyes.

If this guy was a minority, poor or on the other end of the political spectrum he would have been told to stuff it ...and that is why it is "sheilding".

He's a spoiled rich fuckhead who is getting exceptional treatment that most others would not get.

And that is why I call it "Sheilding".

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
If someone can point out to me the religion that requires a keto/organic diet, I'm all eyes.

If this guy was a minority, poor or on the other end of the political spectrum he would have been told to stuff it ...and that is why it is "sheilding".

He's a spoiled rich fuckhead who is getting exceptional treatment that most others would not get.

And that is why I call it "Sheilding".
Shamanism, at least as practiced by this chap, apparently requires an organic diet, and so too does Rastafarianism, at least according to some of its British adherents, and HM Prisons make every effort to accommodate their Rastafarian inmates who say it does.

Veritable explained the US law earlier in the thread, which is what I was understood it to be -- the court can't adjudicate on what the requirements of a particular religion actually are, and neither can they determine how genuine is the defendant's profession of belief.

What they can, and must, do is accommodate the particular requirements of the defendant's faith provided they don't place an unreasonable burden on the state, which in this case the judge clearly thinks they don't, which is why he's ordered that the guy be transferred to a larger nearby federal prison, which can cater for an organic diet, rather than the local prison or lockup in which he was being held.

The courts aren't doing him any special favours. They're simply respecting his constitutional rights, and I don't see how they can be criticised for so doing.

Monica Dream

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
This is the crux of the issue. Well, that and my opinion that his "shamanism" is little more than a schick -but even if it's sincere that changes very little.

My bottom line argument is: if he came from a less privileged background, his treatment would be signifigantly different. He may have those rights, but the entire process would have gone much slower, and with much more legal wrangling. The degree of slowness, wrangling and general resistance would have been in proportion to how much darker his skin was or how much poorer his background.

He's in the news, he's from a background that the folks in the system are sympathetic too, and he's a right-winger -so it went as smooth as butter for him.

I have a problem with selective application of the law, and this is a classic case of it.

Grey Mars

The courts aren't doing him any special favours. They're simply respecting his constitutional rights, and I don't see how they can be criticised for so doing.
There's a disconnect happening here that I can tell is surprising the non-US folks here. The US posters are not being crabby and hostile because his constitutional rights are being respected. They are being so hostile and vindictive because it's the FIRST TIME those rights were ever respected. It's so unheard of that I suspect most of us didn't even realize it was a right. We're living in a society where the guards got off scott free after they boiled an inmate alive for fun. Where a kid spent years in maximum security hellhole prison before even making it to trial. Our baseline prison conditions are very likely illegal in your countries even before factoring in overcrowding, sadistic/negligent staff, and legalized slavery.

That's the accepted reality of the situation. ...and here this privileged rich white fuck gets transferred so he can have a special diet for his flaky make-it-up-as-he-goes religious stance.

People are also not being hostile to alternative religions or shamanism itself. Dude is very obviously making it up as he goes and slapping a trendy label on it to sound cool. He's disrespecting the gods his tattoos represent, he's disrespecting the christian god he continually calls on, he's disrespecting actual shamans, he's disrespecting the vast numbers of people with legitimate dietary related beliefs who don't get special treatment due to not being a rich white treason celebrity.

We're enraged watching this shit head get pandered to as something special. We're losing our collective minds watching another violent insurrectionist get approval to go on vacation to Mexico. We're having fits because NO ONE who is not a rich white republican gets this kind of special treatment.

YES, the system needs to be improved. YES, we want it improved. YES, this kind of thing should be the baseline. But we're raging because it is NOT the baseline, and in fact the law ONLY protects rich white republicans in this matter.

Monica Dream

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
There's a disconnect happening here that I can tell is surprising the non-US folks here. The US posters are not being crabby and hostile because his constitutional rights are being respected. They are being so hostile and vindictive because it's the FIRST TIME those rights were ever respected. It's so unheard of that I suspect most of us didn't even realize it was a right. We're living in a society where the guards got off scott free after they boiled an inmate alive for fun. Where a kid spent years in maximum security hellhole prison before even making it to trial. Our baseline prison conditions are very likely illegal in your countries even before factoring in overcrowding, sadistic/negligent staff, and legalized slavery.

That's the accepted reality of the situation. ...and here this privileged rich white fuck gets transferred so he can have a special diet for his flaky make-it-up-as-he-goes religious stance.

People are also not being hostile to alternative religions or shamanism itself. Dude is very obviously making it up as he goes and slapping a trendy label on it to sound cool. He's disrespecting the gods his tattoos represent, he's disrespecting the christian god he continually calls on, he's disrespecting actual shamans, he's disrespecting the vast numbers of people with legitimate dietary related beliefs who don't get special treatment due to not being a rich white treason celebrity.

We're enraged watching this shit head get pandered to as something special. We're losing our collective minds watching another violent insurrectionist get approval to go on vacation to Mexico. We're having fits because NO ONE who is not a rich white republican gets this kind of special treatment.

YES, the system needs to be improved. YES, we want it improved. YES, this kind of thing should be the baseline. But we're raging because it is NOT the baseline, and in fact the law ONLY protects rich white republicans in this matter.

Seriously -yes. Yes, yes YES! Thank you for articulating so well the exact point I was trying to make.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Oh, right. Burma.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I'm just disappointed that none of the managers has flat out said 'If you do not try this case, you give up -your- power.
If everyone deserves a mulligan, Trump has already worn out his mulligans WELL before his incitement of an inusrrection, during his entire tenure in office.