Police Brutality Protests Thread

Salome

Vermicious Knid
Joined
Oct 21, 2018
Messages
892
Location
Carmen Sandiego's Pocket
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
Just a note, most of the lawyers I follow say that the law in Minn will still allow juries to find for the lesser charges if they don’t feel the burden for the higher charges have been met. So he will likely still face 3rd degree and manslaughter charges along with the heightened 2nd degree charges to allow for the best possible chance of conviction.

 

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010

Salome

Vermicious Knid
Joined
Oct 21, 2018
Messages
892
Location
Carmen Sandiego's Pocket
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
Reminders of this incident from 2006 is Going around right now:

TL;DR - In 2006, a black female officer was fired after 19 years on the force and lost her pension for trying to stop a fellow officer from choking a suspect to death. In the process of trying to stop him he punched her in the face so hard she needed plastic surgery. She wa then charged with a crime and lost her pension. The officer she tried to stop was later brought up on (Unrelated) federal charges of police brutality he pled guilty to, but got to keep his pension. (the articles include a link to help with her retirement fund and petitions to re-instate her pension).
 

Lexxi

meow
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
1,374
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
6381
Was curious, so I looked it up. I got, when I asked Google to define the word for me: "the glans of the penis". Then I grossed myself out by looking up "glans of the penis": "the glans is covered with pink, moist tissue called mucosa."

So a 'fucking bellend' is a 'fucking pink moist tissue covered in mucus" (it doesn't say mucus it says mucosa - mucosa -> 'a mucus membrane').



eww.
 

Salome

Vermicious Knid
Joined
Oct 21, 2018
Messages
892
Location
Carmen Sandiego's Pocket
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
Then I grossed myself out by looking up "glans of the penis": "the glans is covered with pink, moist tissue called mucosa."
So. Erm. This kinda depends on possible alterations of the equipment.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Casey Pelous

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Not sure how I feel about *civilian patrols*, but at the same time if they're protecting valuable grocery shopping options for community residents, I can't fault it either. I don't really find it necessary right now, given that the city has calmed, but whatever. Just as an aside, the two closest gas stations to me were both burned out and the remaining options on Broadway are 30 cents/gallon higher than elsewhere. I think that was the case before the riots, though. We could have a whole thread about higher prices in low-income neighborhoods, but I will leave that for another day.

In north Minneapolis, neighbors patrol 'to make sure our people can eat'
 
Last edited:

Zaida Gearbox

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
1,379
I don't see anyway anyone who has seen that video could possibly find for less than 2nd degree murder. I just don't.

Just a note, most of the lawyers I follow say that the law in Minn will still allow juries to find for the lesser charges if they don’t feel the burden for the higher charges have been met. So he will likely still face 3rd degree and manslaughter charges along with the heightened 2nd degree charges to allow for the best possible chance of conviction.
 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Just a note, most of the lawyers I follow say that the law in Minn will still allow juries to find for the lesser charges if they don’t feel the burden for the higher charges have been met. So he will likely still face 3rd degree and manslaughter charges along with the heightened 2nd degree charges to allow for the best possible chance of conviction.
I think it's going to come down to whether the jury believes the state medical examiner or the independent medical exsminers. They are at odds. The state medical examiner calls cause of death homicide but says that underlying conditions such as heart disease, hypertension, fentanyl intoxication and something about methamphetamine in his system played a part whereas the independent ones find it fully due to asphyxiation.

I think that state medical examiners are generally given a strong weight in decision making, so legally speaking we aren't necessarily assured of him being convicted of the highest charge.

It's going to be agonizing watching this play out.
 

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
Rotterdam earlier today:



The mayor ordered to quit the demonstration early, because there came so many people that even reasonable distancing was no longer possible.
Most people went away when asked to do so.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Archer