Police Brutality Protests Thread

Ellie

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a Rainbow Pootbeam
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
888
Location
Ring Of Fire
SL Rez
2009
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
1882
I was being ironic. :) Actually the real DC cops are extremely professional with protests and crowd control. These were not dc cops.
Thanks &noted. I don't see as well reading threads on phone as well as some can and do, but my post does have relevance to this thread.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Thanks &noted. I don't see as well reading threads on phone as well as some can and do, but my post does have relevance to this thread.
Certainly it made me look for the training the British police use, and from what they say, once the prone suspect has been subdued, whether by krav manga or any other technique, and handcuffed, then he should be allowed to sit or stand, because it's such a dangerous position in which to restrain him.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010
This happened ~20 miles from me. The peaceful protesters wanted to walk up Merrick Road, and the police barricaded it due to "complaints from the community".
At first I thought, will, I can kind of understand that, I'd be worried about the white supremacists fvcks that could come in, take advantage, and wreak havoc.
But just now I looked on on Twitter and found Merrick trending, and it seems that the white supremacists were already there:


The town was trending because of people who lived there and/or grew up there sharing their washer and disgust at this, as well as stories of past experiences of being bullied, not only POC but gay and probably anyone else they deemed unworthy.
 

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010
That confrontation in Merrick is getting a lot of attention. Now "Long Islanders" is trending, with people piling it on making it sound like all of us are racist.
It's not true, and it doesn't help, might even throw more fuel on the fire, y make it sound like it is. Yeah, we've got our share of racist fuckwits, and neighborhoods that were segregated outright when it was legal, and still are majority this or that, but it's changing, and there are probably as many nonracist prior as racist, going from my own experience I'd say more. And when someone pulls some racist shit there's of plenty of immediate pushbsck
Maybe the people that are piling on on Twitter are doing it for "clout", I don't know.
Excuse the rant. I know I don't have to prove anything to anyone here, I'm just venting because I know it would be bad for myself to get into it with cockwombles on Twitter.
 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
That confrontation in Merrick is getting a lot of attention. Now "Long Islanders" is trending, with people piling it on making it sound like all of us are racist.
It's not true, and it doesn't help, might even throw more fuel on the fire, y make it sound like it is. Yeah, we've got our share of racist fuckwits, and neighborhoods that were segregated outright when it was legal, and still are majority this or that, but it's changing, and there are probably as many nonracist prior as racist, going from my own experience I'd say more. And when someone pulls some racist shit there's of plenty of immediate pushbsck
Maybe the people that are piling on on Twitter are doing it for "clout", I don't know.
Excuse the rant. I know I don't have to prove anything to anyone here, I'm just venting because I know it would be bad for myself to get into it with cockwombles on Twitter.
You are correct. You have nothing to prove to any of us. Your post history tells us all we need to know. Don't feel like you have to defend yourself to us because of the fuckwits who happen to live near you. Proximity doesn't mean much. What matters is what is in your heart. Everything you have posted here has been of someone who is a conscientious, caring individual.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
That confrontation in Merrick is getting a lot of attention. Now "Long Islanders" is trending, with people piling it on making it sound like all of us are racist.
It's not true, and it doesn't help, might even throw more fuel on the fire, y make it sound like it is. Yeah, we've got our share of racist fuckwits, and neighborhoods that were segregated outright when it was legal, and still are majority this or that, but it's changing, and there are probably as many nonracist prior as racist, going from my own experience I'd say more. And when someone pulls some racist shit there's of plenty of immediate pushbsck
Maybe the people that are piling on on Twitter are doing it for "clout", I don't know.
Excuse the rant. I know I don't have to prove anything to anyone here, I'm just venting because I know it would be bad for myself to get into it with cockwombles on Twitter.
I see on Twitter that inflammatory flyers are said to have been circulated on social media, purporting to be issued by BLM but presumably fakes made by far right groups, encouraging BLM supporters to march through white areas of Merrick and loot them.

This is, unfortunately, standard cyberwarfare.

We've seen this before, in Ukraine, where all sorts of false stories were (and still are) deliberately circulated on social media by partisans of all sides in the areas Russia seeks to annex.

NB I do not accuse the Russians of doing it -- though in the last election they were certainly stirring up conflict with fake black and white radical accounts -- and it could just as well be the alt-right on discord or reddit or something.
 

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010
You are correct. You have nothing to prove to any of us. Your post history tells us all we need to know. Don't feel like you have to defend yourself to us because of the fuckwits who happen to live near you. Proximity doesn't mean much. What matters is what is in your heart. Everything you have posted here has been of someone who is a conscientious, caring individual.
I'm frustrated because I'm afraid it will make things worse whether now or in future.

I see on Twitter that inflammatory flyers are said to have been circulated on social media, purporting to be issued by BLM but presumably fakes made by far right groups, encouraging BLM supporters to march through white areas of Merrick and loot them.
I'm sure they have. They've been using this tactic, throughout.
From what I've seen reported, so far, it does not look like any BLM supporters have taken the bait. The racists are falling for it, though, which was probably another intended consequence.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I'm sure the whole intent was to provoke the locals (thus providing pictures of angry whites confronting protestors, and ramping up the tension on both sides).