2020 U.S. Presidential elections

SL Rez
SLU Posts
From the article, quoting someone from the landscaping company:

Sean Middleton, the company’s director of sales, was at a Bible study when he got the call to come to the shop and help prepare for Guiliani’s news conference.
“I was pretty happy because it got me out of Bible study,” he said Saturday, adding: “I have no idea why [the campaign] wanted to do it here. I don’t know how the government works. Maybe they saw on satellite images that we have a big back lot and proximity to [Interstate] 95?”
Middleton said he was not aware of any connection between the landscaping company and the Trump campaign, which did not immediately provide an explanation for why the news conference was held at that location.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Shiloh Lyric

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
  • 1Interesting
Reactions: Sid
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Trumps Former head of communications Anthony Scaramucci about his 11 days under Trump.
I think he will leave voluntarily because he will still need Biden.

DER SPIEGEL: As president, Biden could pardon him.
Eww, hadn't thought of that one, although Biden can only pardon him for federal crimes.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I am not sure why I am sharing this with you all. Maybe to expose how bad it can get and how quickly?

I spent numerous hours speaking to her, it involved a whole lots of curse words, mostly her telling me to "fuck off". At one point, she said she never wanted to hear my name again, to which I responded, "Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene" She must not have appreciated it as the next thing after that was "You are dead to me"

Ouchies. Almost gave up right there. That stung.

Anyhow, hours later, After an hours break or so each time or even a few, we were able to talk to each other without curse words. I had to be the one to initiate that. I don't wanna share that as it is even more personal than sharing all of this with you.

We spent the next few hours discussing all manner of topics from Covid to Trump to our electoral process. Every step of the way I had to walk her back, with proof, from the misconceptions she has gathered from who knows where.

There isn't any resolution at this point. She is still pretty sure that Trump had the election stolen from him..nothing I said dissuaded her from that.

But again, no screaming. I was able to talk about the civil rights act, the southern strategy, the vote counting process, in particular mail-in ballots.

I have no idea if it did any good, but, well I do love her, so I am going to try my very hardest to pull her back from the brink.

Sorry for dropping all of this on you. I figured if anyone could ever understand it, it would be you.
Jolene, any time you need a sounding board, that's what we're here for. I sincerely wish you luck in getting through to your sister and saving her from that abyss.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
"If Republicans don't challenge and change the U.S. election system, there will never be another Republican president elected again," Graham said Sunday on Fox News. "President Trump should not concede. We're down to less — 10,000 votes in Georgia. He's going to win North Carolina. We have gone from 93,000 votes to less than 20,000 votes in Arizona, where more — more votes to be counted."

Every major news network and The Associated Press on Saturday projected Joe Biden as the winner of the 2020 race for the White House. Trump has said he will not concede, alleging widespread voter fraud led to tens of thousands of illegal ballots being cast against him.

The Trump campaign has provided no evidence to back up the president's claims.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
The Trump campaign does not need evidence for backup - that was never the plan. Trump got one thing right: it's only over when the electoral college has cast its votes, not before.

So one goal might be for example trying to influence the members' of the electoral college out of the 24 states where the vote can be freely made, and is not bound on the state's result. Not going to happen. Then again he only needs to influence enough members so that Biden gets not elected; and the members of the electoral college are all, but neutral. Then again most members of the college of the free states do honor the result, also because their vote is not secret and they want to avoid having to face an outraged mob before their homeyard after they did what they want to do.

Trump's narrative has been always the following:

* they are trying to steal the election
* mail voting is unsafe
* I am the winner!

So this is the typical behaviour of wannabe dictator, trying to overthrow a state. Trump probably was quite sure that he installed enough buttlicking minions so that his little putsch would be possible.

For a putsch you do need at least the military on your side, but the more authorities, the better.

And here's the thing:

a) military - will not support Trump, because despite the budget increases he made Democrats for sure will not revert this, so the military will gain absolutely nothing by supporting Trump they cannot have otherwise.
b) intelligence agency community - Trump entirely alienated this important community which is a dumb thing to do, so definitely not working for, but against him.
c) supreme court - for the two new courts he installed don't want to go into history as enablers for a Trumpian dictatorship.

So a putsch will not happen, but what he still will be able to do is poisoning the well for a long time. It doesn't matter that he's wrong, what matters is that too many people actually do believe this. It's the policy of scorched earth, to make Biden's presidency quite hard.

Last edited:
  • 1Doge
  • 1Disagree
Reactions: detrius and Govi

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
The sad thing is that Trump still can stay in the office legally and reelected for a second term, in case they are working towards a situation where the vote has finally to be made by the House of Representatives.

There are more Republican states around than Democratic ruled ones; and Trump not conceding yet is the first step down to that road.

The question is: are the Republicans and Trump really criminal enough to try this?

• 1Doge
Reactions: Govi

Zaida Gearbox

I really think Trump needs to be removed an institutionalized as a danger to others because God only knows what kind of shenanigans he might try and pull between now and January because of his rage over losing - even though he has had a very respectable showing.

And if the House of Representatives handed the presidency back to Trump there would be violence that make the riots of the past several months look like play time.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Lyric

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
The sad thing is that Trump still can stay in the office legally and reelected for a second term, in case they are working towards a situation where the vote has finally to be made by the House of Representatives.

There are more Republican states around than Democratic ruled ones; and Trump not conceding yet is the first step down to that road.

The question is: are the Republicans and Trump really criminal enough to try this?
It's not going to happen, anyway. I have left more left-leaning groups on FB today for asking the same sort of (frankly) silly questions.

There are not enough votes left to sway the decision now. The margin is thin for both candidates, but Biden's the one carrying the majority. The States did their part counting and tabulating, now their electors will cast their votes and it will well and truly be over for DT.

We've spent 4 years being paranoid of things Trump could do or say that would overturn Democracy, but he's out of cards to play now. It's become a habit for us and it's time to move out of the abusive relationship. All he has left is hot air and bluster and pouting in his tower. If anything, I do expect him to boycott the inauguration. But it will proceed without him. He'll boycott the transition, but Biden can manage without him. Trump is broke, politically. He may as well vacate the premises right now. It's o-v-e-r.