Trump's border wall looks more like a fence

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Actually, most people are continually amazed that Lincoln could have been a Republican when they look at him and then the modern Republican party.
Not really, parties tend to drift. The biggest latest flip was during the civil rights era and then there was a course correction (for at least the gop) in the 80s.

Romana

So he'll ignore the people who are correctly telling him it'll get tied up in court so he can be seen to keep his promise to his base and his ego, thinking perhaps that he will get his second term and build the wall then--or not care, because it will have served it's purpose.
One wonders if he'll still carry Texas if he makes it that long, though. Seizing people's land will not go well.

Porsupah Ree

Shy bunny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
New Mexico Governor Pulls National Guard From Border, Rejects Trump’s ‘Fear-Mongering’

New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham (D), rejecting President Donald Trump’s claims of an immigration crisis, said she would withdraw most National Guard troops deployed at her state’s southern border.

“New Mexico will not take part in the president’s charade of border fear-mongering,” Lujan Grisham declared Tuesdayshortly before Trump’s State of the Union address, adding that she rejects the “federal contention that there exists an overwhelming national security crisis” at the border. She elaborated during a news conference on Wednesday. “I’m not going to participate, nor do I think it’s appropriate in any shape or fashion to use the National Guard to attempt to militarize the border where we’re dealing with asylum seekers who their constitutional rights continue to be breached,” Lujan Grisham said, according to CNN.

Free

I'm taking your cows
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts

Porsupah Ree

Shy bunny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
McConnell says Trump will sign spending bill and declare national emergency

President Donald Trump plans to sign a bipartisan spending deal and then declare a national emergency to fund his border wall, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced Thursday. The move will avert a government shutdown Friday while immediately fueling a fierce battle in the courts.

"He is prepared to sign the bill," McConnell said. "He will also be issuing a national emergency declaration at the same time."

Porsupah Ree

Shy bunny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Given it's McConnell saying this, and the surely impotent nature of the "emergency", I'd guess it's his idea, or at least, the faction he's aligned himself with, for much the reasons outlined - it means the Repubs don't get to sink further because of Trump, and Trump still gets to have that "See? See? I'm doing everything I can for you!" to his base. It'll probably work, too - his base'll be seething there's no wall, but they'll happily blame the Democrats and the judiciary, so Trump gets to coast that bit longer.

CNN's page on the whole mess has some pertinent reactions:

Government shutdown countdown: Live updates - CNNPolitics

Several Republican senators said they have no information on President Trump's decision to declare a national emergency.
Sen. John Cornyn, who has been critical of going this route, said he still harbors concerns but wants to get more information.
Sen. Pat Roberts didn’t know this was happening until CNN reporters told him.
Sen. Lindsey Graham, who supports the move, said he hasn’t been told how it’ll be done.

Porsupah Ree

Shy bunny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
And we're off!

The American Civil Liberties Union says it will file a lawsuit challenging President Donald Trump’s emergency declaration to fund a wall on the U.S.-Mexican border. The Friday announcement came hours after Trump signed the declaration and said he expected legal challenges. The civil rights group will argue that Trump’s use of emergency powers is unprecedented and can’t be used to build a border wall.
The Latest: Judiciary chair seeks hearing on emergency claim