FIGHT FORUM AVATAR OPPRESSION
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Lindalino
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Personally, I hate my walls to have a lot of spaces open to the other side in them.

First section of Donald Trump's wall at Mexico border unveiled

The two-and-a-half-mile-long, 30-foot-tall barrier was built over eight months and unveiled by US Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen at a ceremony in Calexico, California on Friday. Nielsen pleaded for further government funding to complete the mammoth project, saying that “walls work.” She also refuted the oft-repeated claim that the barrier of steel bollards was actually just a fence.
Hmm. 8 months to build 2 and 1/2 miles of...wall.

That means they put up 1650 feet of it per month.

The border is 1,954 miles (3,145 km) long. Or, 10,317,120 feet.

So it will probably take nearly 6,253 months to put up the "wall."

That's more than 521 years.

Now there is a federal works program to be proud of!

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
Sep 20, 2018
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
I love how they keep saying "walls work". Based on what, exactly? Can they name even one country that has secured its borders with a wall that successfully kept out immigrants and invaders? Even the Great Wall of China was breached fairly often.

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego, California
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Did they see the recent news about the latest tunnel the Mexicans discovered?

Sep 20, 2018
Yuma, AZ
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I live in Yuma, AZ, so I hear about 'The Wall' nearly every day on the news or on political ads. It's a classic example of a boondoggle, but it will line a few pockets in the meantime.

Oct 11, 2018
It looks like you could climb it with a simple tree climbing strop. As easily as you could climb a tree with a simple tree climbing strop.

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Lindalino
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Remember, Trump promised his wall was going to be big and "beautiful."

It's not even typical Trump tacky. Maybe they can cover it with some fabrics.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Sep 20, 2018
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I love how they keep saying "walls work". Based on what, exactly? Can they name even one country that has secured its borders with a wall that successfully kept out immigrants and invaders? Even the Great Wall of China was breached fairly often.
The main problem with walls is they are, well, walls. Most undocumented people came here on a visa and just stayed here.

Sep 20, 2018
Yuma, AZ
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

It's not even typical Trump tacky. Maybe they can cover it with some fabrics.
Wait till someone spray paints a Latin flag on it...then it will look right...lol

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Lindalino
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts

Pamela

Oct 7, 2018
Austin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
He is not going to get a dammed wall. Border states don’t want it. They don’t need it and don’t want to spend the money. And besides, Texas actually likes their immigrants — they are more law abiding than citizens, willing to work any job, and are just mostly really friendly people.

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego, California
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I've worked a hard physical job with immigrants from Mexico, and met some others along the way. They almost all were: 1. hard working, 2. family oriented, 3. friendly, 4. undocumented, 5. considerate, 6. cheerful, 7. nice peaceful people

Employers like them because they don't complain and I love them because here in California we'd be lost without them.

Oct 11, 2018
Sep 21, 2018
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
But remember, the Maginot Line held up the Nazis at the border for ... oh, maybe 5 minutes!

Wait. No it didn't. They went around it.

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 24, 2018
USA, upper left corner
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
Mussolini thought the Milan train station was beautiful. See what I'm sayin' here?

Wait till someone spray paints a Latin flag on it...then it will look right...lol
Like this one?

(Shoutout to all the Latin Club members, yo!)

But remember, the Maginot Line held up the Nazis at the border for ... oh, maybe 5 minutes!

Wait. No it didn't. They went around it.
What if there are some French people here? That would be awkward ...... :p

Sep 21, 2018
SLU Posts
It looks like you could climb it with a simple tree climbing strop. As easily as you could climb a tree with a simple tree climbing strop.
Assuming the posts are steel, I would use thermite to melt one or two near the ground, then pivot them by the top crossbrace to squeeze through. Thermite is aluminum powder and rust (iron oxide).

Kara Spengler

Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
He is not going to get a dammed wall. Border states don’t want it. They don’t need it and don’t want to spend the money. And besides, Texas actually likes their immigrants — they are more law abiding than citizens, willing to work any job, and are just mostly really friendly people.
Yes, lots of people want immigrants, legal or not, it is not a d/r issue. Not to mention their net economic contribution is positive no matter how much donnie wants to believe otherwise. In fact he had this researched by people early on because he did not believe it .... anyone who was non-biased could have told him that for free.

Sep 26, 2018
Considering Trump's fence: I am disappointed; I thought it would get at least this tacky golden finish the Trump Tower in NYC shows proudly to the world.

Well and this is quite the interesting thing about America. America once was heralded as a melting pot of different cultures, no matter from where you come, as long as you are willing to work hard and obey the rules, you are welcome to stay, try your luck and give it your best shot, there's plenty room for almost anybody. This is at least the image the poem on the statue of liberty also is giving, the thing is that this was and is an image, where I am unsure if it always matched the political intentions and will, or not.

Today America is definitely again going into some kind of isolationism, feeling scared, unsafer than ever before, divided, unhappy. Which is quite a feat considering that America has by far the biggest military budget worldwide, and it's not exactly surrounded by enemies either.

Anyway, what most people today want is cheap labour. But cheap labour not done by immigrants, which are going to stay and maybe add to the Hispanic population. Instead today would prefer the model of guest workers, like in the countries around the Persian Gulf: people can apply for working there, most of the time quite low tier jobs with small payment, but do with the money what they want, so send it home where even those measly bucks makes their family wealthy and rich. If they got ill, handicapped or too old, then it's time to say goodbye, because behind you in the queue are at least 10 younger, hungry people which are willing to do some same as you did.

Kara Spengler

Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Considering Trump's fence: I am disappointed; I thought it would get at least this tacky golden finish the Trump Tower in NYC shows proudly to the world.

Well and this is quite the interesting thing about America. America once was heralded as a melting pot of different cultures, no matter from where you come, as long as you are willing to work hard and obey the rules, you are welcome to stay, try your luck and give it your best shot, there's plenty room for almost anybody. This is at least the image the poem on the statue of liberty also is giving, the thing is that this was and is an image, where I am unsure if it always matched the political intentions and will, or not.

Today America is definitely again going into some kind of isolationism, feeling scared, unsafer than ever before, divided, unhappy. Which is quite a feat considering that America has by far the biggest military budget worldwide, and it's not exactly surrounded by enemies either.

Anyway, what most people today want is cheap labour. But cheap labour not done by immigrants, which are going to stay and maybe add to the Hispanic population. Instead today would prefer the model of guest workers, like in the countries around the Persian Gulf: people can apply for working there, most of the time quite low tier jobs with small payment, but do with the money what they want, so send it home where even those measly bucks makes their family wealthy and rich. If they got ill, handicapped or too old, then it's time to say goodbye, because behind you in the queue are at least 10 younger, hungry people which are willing to do some same as you did.
Which is probably why his anti-immigrant stuff has not gone down well with quite a few people. Most of us grew up hearing stories of ancestors coming to america even if it is not a case of something that happened in the recent past.

The anti-immigrant people just confuse me. Given polls I doubt many of them are native americans. Which means they got some explaining to do.