Trump tests positive for coronavirus

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
496
One question left:
Who is Rick Moranis?
Hie thee to a streaming site, DVD store, or torrent site and get a copy of Spaceballs, Ghostbusters, Strange Brew, and Little Shop of Horrors circa 80s, and then get back to us.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
Honestly, I never heard of that guy before.
You never saw the original ghostbusters movies? Or little shop of horrors? Or plenty of other things.
 

detrius

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
2,664
Location
Land of bread, beer and BMW.
Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
10065
You never saw the original ghostbusters movies? Or little shop of horrors? Or plenty of other things.
The thing about Rick Moranis is that while many people will instantly recognize his face, they won't necessarily be able to connect it with a name.

He's a bit like Al Leong or Thomas F. Wilson in that regard - those names might not mean much to you, but if I had written "Biff Tannen" or "that Asian-looking henchman with the goatee (Uli from "Die Hard")", they're the people whose faces would have popped up in your head.

Moranis is the kind of actor who got cast to play the stereotypical target of a bully, somewhat timid, insecure and mousey. If his name is in the credits, you can almost be sure that there will at least (!) one bully in the movie who is going to pick on the character Mornis is playing - that is, until he gets pushed too hard and confronts his tormentor. "Spaceballs" is the rare exception to this rule, because Mel Brooks is a genius.

Moranis taught an entire generation of kids to stand up to bullies and it's really sad he disappeared from public life in the 1990s, even more so because of the reason behind this decision. I wish he had been able to continue his work, maybe it could have counter-acted the normalization of cruelty and oppressive behaviour that happened after Bush II became president and shows like "The Apprentice" became popular.

Which coincidentally brings us back to Trump.
 

detrius

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
2,664
Location
Land of bread, beer and BMW.
Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
10065

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,705
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,698
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
This week, President Donald Trump extolled the cutting-edge coronavirus treatments he received as “miracles coming down from God.” If that’s true, then God employs cell lines derived from human fetal tissue.

The emergency antibody that Trump received last week was developed with the use of a cell line originally derived from abortion tissue, according to Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, the company that developed the experimental drug.
So what now, does God believe in abortions?
 

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
You never saw the original ghostbusters movies? Or little shop of horrors? Or plenty of other things.
I'm a complete movie barbarian.
Haven't been to a movie theater in decades. (Well, except with school classes a few times).
I think Close Encounters Of The Third Kind and One Flew Over The Cucko's Nest were the last ones I saw in a theater
I watched 2, maybe 3 movies a year on TV. Only when I'm really bored.
The plots in movies are most of the times so thin, childish IMHO. Not my beer.

And besides that, have you ever heard about Frank Lammers, Martin Koolhoven or Halina Reijn?
 
Last edited:

Bartholomew Gallacher

Administrator
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
7,089
SL Rez
2002
Moranis taught an entire generation of kids to stand up to bullies and it's really sad he disappeared from public life in the 1990s, even more so because of the reason behind this decision. I wish he had been able to continue his work, maybe it could have counter-acted the normalization of cruelty and oppressive behaviour that happened after Bush II became president and shows like "The Apprentice" became popular.
Well the reason why he did it is very much common: "I'm a single parent and I just found that it was too difficult to manage to raise my kids and to do the traveling involved in making movies. So I took a little bit of a break. And the little bit of a break turned into a longer break, and then I found that I really didn't miss it.""

Later though he added that he did not quit, but became selective about his roles. Anyway for sure he had made enough money when he entered his hiatus, that he could also have afforded a nursemaid and still act if he wanted to, I am pretty sure about. But instead he decided that it was more important to see his kids grow up and raise them then to make more movies. That's a decision not everybody can make, because not everybody has the necessary wealth to do so.
 

detrius

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
2,664
Location
Land of bread, beer and BMW.
Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
10065
Well the reason why he did it is very much common: "I'm a single parent and I just found that it was too difficult to manage to raise my kids and to do the traveling involved in making movies. So I took a little bit of a break. And the little bit of a break turned into a longer break, and then I found that I really didn't miss it.""

Later though he added that he did not quit, but became selective about his roles. Anyway for sure he had made enough money when he entered his hiatus, that he could also have afforded a nursemaid and still act if he wanted to, I am pretty sure about. But instead he decided that it was more important to see his kids grow up and raise them then to make more movies. That's a decision not everybody can make, because not everybody has the necessary wealth to do so.
Just to be clear: I was not criticizing him for his decision and actually think he got his priorities set straight. I could actually go on a lengthy rant about people who have acquired a certain level of fame and wealth and still keep longing for more.

I can still be sad about the lack of Rick Moranis films, though.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Soen Eber