Trump tests positive for coronavirus

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,205
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
And he's exactly the kind of reptilian asshole who, if he suspected it made someone uncomfortable, would walk right up into their personal space and wheeze/sniffle staring down the nose on that fat ugly face from six inches away or less. "Oh, am I making you 'uncomfortable'?"
 

Pancake

Fluffer
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
681
Location
Canada
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2011
SLU Posts
8642
I changed jobs twice because I thought my boss was a real pain in the ass.
We ain't galleon slaves, who have no other choise than to row the commanders boat.
I would have left my position at least two years ago, if I would have worked for Trumpty Dumpty.
I'm glad you had that option, and many would do the same.

My point is, it isn't fair to say people who work for the government, or for Trump, deserve what they get by working for <insert leader here>.

It might be old fashioned, but there are those of us who feel called to Public Service. Antiquated value as it might be, there are those of us for whom it's an integral part of our values and identity. There are also many who are in a profession where the only employer is the Government, where that be specialized professions like Nurses, Doctors, Teachers, Social Workers, Military, Firefighters, etc or those who live in communities where the best/only employer is the Government and they have a family to support.

Not to mention the impact it would have on society if civil servants quit their jobs every time someone they didn't vote for got elected. One of the pillars of being a public servant, is to serve the public, regardless of administration and personal political beliefs.

Could I quit tomorrow and get another job? Absolutely. I'm not going to dox myself, but I'm in a profession that has a single employer, the government, and yet if I put my job title on my resume many other industries would still hire me for something else based on those credentials and experience.

It's not easy, I won't pretend it's easy, either for me, or for the Secret Service, or anyone who is a public servant in the White House. It's not simply about getting another job though, it's a moral dilemma at your core. Walking away from your calling, your passion, your values, because they don't align with the leadership vs hoping to stay on an affect even some small amount of change. It's sometimes not even about quitting, I'm pretty sure the signs are aligning to a general strike in my province, and again I'll be forced with a tough decision. As an essential service, I won't be allowed to walk completely, legally or morally, but I'll have to maintain some level of job action that still serves the pubilc, while supporting my peers who are on full strike.

It's never so simple as saying people deserve what they get.
 

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
Joined
Jul 30, 2019
Messages
1,849
SL Rez
2017
I'm glad you had that option, and many would do the same.

My point is, it isn't fair to say people who work for the government, or for Trump, deserve what they get by working for <insert leader here>.

It might be old fashioned, but there are those of us who feel called to Public Service. Antiquated value as it might be, there are those of us for whom it's an integral part of our values and identity. There are also many who are in a profession where the only employer is the Government, where that be specialized professions like Nurses, Doctors, Teachers, Social Workers, Military, Firefighters, etc or those who live in communities where the best/only employer is the Government and they have a family to support.

Not to mention the impact it would have on society if civil servants quit their jobs every time someone they didn't vote for got elected. One of the pillars of being a public servant, is to serve the public, regardless of administration and personal political beliefs.

Could I quit tomorrow and get another job? Absolutely. I'm not going to dox myself, but I'm in a profession that has a single employer, the government, and yet if I put my job title on my resume many other industries would still hire me for something else based on those credentials and experience.

It's not easy, I won't pretend it's easy, either for me, or for the Secret Service, or anyone who is a public servant in the White House. It's not simply about getting another job though, it's a moral dilemma at your core. Walking away from your calling, your passion, your values, because they don't align with the leadership vs hoping to stay on an affect even some small amount of change. It's sometimes not even about quitting, I'm pretty sure the signs are aligning to a general strike in my province, and again I'll be forced with a tough decision. As an essential service, I won't be allowed to walk completely, legally or morally, but I'll have to maintain some level of job action that still serves the pubilc, while supporting my peers who are on full strike.

It's never so simple as saying people deserve what they get.
In the years following 1945 we heard a lot simular arguments in Nuremburg. Just saying...
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
In the years following 1945 we heard a lot simular arguments in Nuremburg. Just saying...
The defendants at Nuremberg were on trial for war crimes, genocide, and other crimes against humanity.

To compare Pancake to them is grotesque, and I really think you owe her an apology.

My late father was a senior British civil servant, and I understand her point very well indeed, as will, I am sure, all fair-minded people.
 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I think some people are heavily confusing civil servants with the high level administration officials that Trump has put into place, such as Miller, Kusher, etc..

Big difference.
 

Pancake

Fluffer
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
681
Location
Canada
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2011
SLU Posts
8642
The defendants at Nuremberg were on trial for war crimes, genocide, and other crimes against humanity.

To compare Pancake to them is grotesque, and I really think you owe her an apology.

My late father was a senior British civil servant, and I understand her point very well indeed, as will, I am sure, all fair-minded people.
Thanks Innula.

I feel comfortable that there is still a little space between working for a genocidal maniac and working for the guy I do now, who is cutting public services to pay for tax breaks to oil and gas companies. I mean, it may come that LOL, but I'm hopeful when the time comes my moral compass will swing a little.
 
Last edited:

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,205
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
In the years following 1945 we heard a lot simular arguments in Nuremburg. Just saying...
Given that the current administration classified any civil servant just trying to do their job as 'Deep State' if they don't spew the trump-loyalty oath....

Kudos to -anyone- who despite everything, continues trying to do the job they're there for, preventing the trump administration from sticking an unethical, incompetent stooge in the vacancy they leave behind. Or from just leaving the vacancy open and re-assigning those tax dollars to something that utterly fails to serve the public interest to even a fraction of the same degree.
 

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
Joined
Jul 30, 2019
Messages
1,849
SL Rez
2017
The defendants at Nuremberg were on trial for war crimes, genocide, and other crimes against humanity.

To compare Pancake to them is grotesque, and I really think you owe her an apology.

My late father was a senior British civil servant, and I understand her point very well indeed, as will, I am sure, all fair-minded people.
They crossed that line with the ICE hysterectomies and willfully endangering the public. IMHO Hitler started revealing his ugly face slower than the GOP does right now. It's clear where they are heading to... people continuing to work for them because it's convenient are a part of the problem, sorry.
 

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,487
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
A small number of people, mostly political appointees and Federal law enforcement, have crossed that line. A great many civil servants are still trying to provide services that help people and make the country function. How many people had knowledge of ICE's medical abuse? Is someone in NOAA's weather forecasting office morally obligated to leave their position over the issue?

We are not yet at the point where serving the public, as opposed to serving the administration, is morally untenable. And in many cases, leaving now will guarantee that a political hire takes the post and abandons any legal or ethical restraint.
 

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,936
Location
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
20780
Mike Godwin didn't say you're allowed to invoke Godwin's Law willy nilly, just that it's OK to use it on actual Nazis.
 
  • 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Archer and Pancake

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
4,062
They crossed that line with the ICE hysterectomies and willfully endangering the public. IMHO Hitler started revealing his ugly face slower than the GOP does right now. It's clear where they are heading to... people continuing to work for them because it's convenient are a part of the problem, sorry.
I would take that point for any working in I.C.E. in an immigration role, or anyone working in a federal law enforcement capacity whose agency has had a long history of abusing civil rights, or a highly politicised department if your position is to ram through injustice or massive inequalities adverse to the departments chartered mission, such as denying loan forgiveness for teachers who have in good faith done everything to follow the rules in a loan forgiveness program for providing services in a challenged area.

But a broad brush? Whazizname isn't that failed art student and rabble rouser from the 20's & 30's, despite his best efforts to be that guy. There is no enabling act, despite Moscow Mitch's worst efforts to create one, and there are no camps to send dissenters to.
 
Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Pancake

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
They crossed that line with the ICE hysterectomies and willfully endangering the public. IMHO Hitler started revealing his ugly face slower than the GOP does right now. It's clear where they are heading to... people continuing to work for them because it's convenient are a part of the problem, sorry.
Yes, but your post implied you thought Pancake was similar to ICE, Stephen Miller and the rest.

If that's not the impression you intended, then I think you need at least to clarify that.
 

Bartholomew Gallacher

Administrator
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
7,089
SL Rez
2002
They crossed that line with the ICE hysterectomies and willfully endangering the public. IMHO Hitler started revealing his ugly face slower than the GOP does right now. It's clear where they are heading to... people continuing to work for them because it's convenient are a part of the problem, sorry.
Wrong. Hitler showed his ugly face already at the Beer Hall Putsch in 1923. After that he had quite some time in prison to write down his core views and beliefs, and so he did in his book "Mein Kampf." His plans are all laid out there, it's a pity nobody really read this book or believed in such a thing.

Also don't forget that during the rise of the NSDAP the SA was always there, ready to pound people into hospitals.
 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
They crossed that line with the ICE hysterectomies and willfully endangering the public. IMHO Hitler started revealing his ugly face slower than the GOP does right now. It's clear where they are heading to... people continuing to work for them because it's convenient are a part of the problem, sorry.
Those hysterectomies have been performed by a private doctor in detention facilities owned and operated by private interests. Those people are not civil servants. The government has outsourced it.
 

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,369
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Yes, but your post implied you thought Pancake was similar to ICE, Stephen Miller and the rest.

If that's not the impression you intended, then I think you need at least to clarify that.
I write an obnoxious pile of snark in my head and sit down to scribe it and Innula went and ruined it already by posting something firm and reasonable.

I’ll add, though, Pancake isn’t an American civil servant.