WTF Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Not that I'm a Kardashian fan, but this is smart. Either they can sell cheap stupid stuff and make tons of money because lots of people like buying cheap stupid Kardashian crap (krap?), or they can sell just enough to keep the trademark active and legally prevent others from cashing in on on their child's name (which many would definitely try to do).

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
When you're a poor child, all you have to worry about is your parents hijacking your social security number and destroying your credit forever before you're even old enough to know it exists, which in present-day America essentially condemns you to a life of permanent poverty.

When you're a rich child, all you have to worry about is your parents hijacking your name and face as a brand and preventing you from ever having control over their use. I mean call me cynical, but I have my doubts that "Kardashian, Inc" (or whatevertheheck owns the brand) is going to be magnanimously giving Psalm West any interest in the brand as he gets older, to say nothing of completely signing over the rights once he's 18 - especially if the brand ends up being a money-maker. That's just not how capitalism works, yo.

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
When you're a poor child, all you have to worry about is your parents hijacking your social security number and destroying your credit forever before you're even old enough to know it exists, which in present-day America essentially condemns you to a life of permanent poverty.

When you're a rich child, all you have to worry about is your parents hijacking your name and face as a brand and preventing you from ever having control over their use. I mean call me cynical, but I have my doubts that "Kardashian, Inc" (or whatevertheheck owns the brand) is going to be magnanimously giving Psalm West any interest in the brand as he gets older, to say nothing of completely signing over the rights once he's 18 - especially if the brand ends up being a money-maker. That's just not how capitalism works, yo.

Ummm...

Say what you want about Kim Kardashian, but I don't think anyone's ever accused her of not loving her children.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I disagree with this article on one point - there have always been very politically active religious liberals. They are just small in number once you get away from the coasts.

As one of us has written elsewhere, this type of pragmatism, which borders on realpolitik, has little time for symbolism, social justice, or moral compasses. This is why charging one’s conservative counterparts with hypocrisy or even calling them “un-Christian” via appeals to other, more progressive interpretations of Christianity usually doesn’t work.

For instance, when Pete Buttigieg criticized Mike Pence’s opposition to gay marriage and gay rights on religious grounds, Pence didn’t have a change of heart but rather shot back at him for attacking his “Christian faith.”In the end, Buttigieg walked back his charge, claiming that his problem is with “bad policies,” not with Pence’s faith. The proverbial right knows that such appeals to sentiment rarely work, at least in terms of mobilizing voters. Until religious liberals determine a pragmatic translation for their prophetic visions of the public good, conservatives will continue targeting legislation and democratic forms of governance in order to wield their respective forms of power.
https://rewire.news/religion-dispatches/2019/05/23/after-all-the-handwringing-were-now-seeing-exactly-why-conservative-christians-supported-trump/

• 1Like
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield and Govi

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
This may be the bourbon talking, but - who the fuck names their kid "Psalm"? I mean, on its own, it seems innocuous enough, until you consider that Kim and Kanye's other kids are named Saint, Chicago, and North.

As I've said before, some people just shouldn't be allowed to breed.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Nothing like a little corporate overreach:

It's right across the street from the Trader Joe's where I frequently shop. I've never noticed Cat & Cloud. I should take a closer look next time I'm at TJ's.

What's Caterpillar thinking? There's no hint of an infringement and you can't just claim the word "cat" under all circumstances.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
At least 11 people have been killed and 6 more injured after a mass shooting at the municipal building in Virginia Beach. The shooter, a utility worker, reportedly shot at people indiscriminately on multiple floors of the building before he was confronted and killed himself in a shootout with responding police.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
After Gamergate and so on, I guess this shouldn't surprise me. But the idea that any GM could possibly think this was in any way a good idea...