WTF Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Tris

busy pushing buttons
Joined SLU
02-19-2011
SLU Posts
So Sarah Huckabee Saunders' dad said this.

His observation has not gone down well with others besides our own Sredni Eel , either...
That explains the ignorance and stupidity of his daughter, it's inherited.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Niels Hoegel liked to bring about cardiac arrests in his patients by injecting them with overdoses of heart medication and other drugs because he enjoyed the feeling of being able to resuscitate them. Sometimes he succeeded in bringing them back, but in at least 87 cases they died, making him what is believed to be modern Germany's most prolific serial killer.

A court in the northwestern city of Oldenburg on Thursday found the 42-year-old nurse guilty of murdering 85 patients, aged 34 to 96, and sentenced him to life in prison. He had earlier been convicted of two other killings.

"Your guilt is incomprehensible," presiding judge Sebastian Buerhmann said as he handed down the verdict. "I felt like an accountant of death."

Hoegel worked at a hospital in Oldenburg between 1999 and 2002 and another hospital in nearby Delmenhorst from 2003 to 2005, and the killings took place between 2000 and 2005, the dpa news agency reported.

Hoegel was convicted in 2015 of two murders and two attempted murders and is already currently serving a life sentence. There are no consecutive sentences in the German system, but Buerhmann noted in his verdict the "particular seriousness" of Hoegel's crimes, a finding that all but ensures he will remain incarcerated after the standard 15-year term is up.

Myficals

Pop!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
After Gamergate and so on, I guess this shouldn't surprise me. But the idea that any GM could possibly think this was in any way a good idea...

Sorry to dredge this up again, but I've been reading more about the incident over at rpg.net. There's a little more to the story than in the standard press, it's actually worse than it appears.

Turns out the game they were playing was Things from the Flood. I've never played this particular game (by all accounts it's pretty cool). The thing is, it's a game about kids. Specifically 14 to 17 year olds in a kind of quasi-Stranger Things/post-apoc setting. The game apparently does deal with teen romance and sexuality to some degree, but even still, you have to be a special kind of tone deaf, thoughtless and fucked up kind of arsehole to think gang raping a bunch of teenagers is a cool way to start the game.

Other things to note. In recent years a lot of roleplaying cons have been employing the X-Card system. This is a kind of safe word rule, basically games that might have confrontational themes are supposed to be labelled as such and an X card (literally a large card with a red X on it) is supposed to be on the table for players to use. When this particular game was vetted by the con organiser, guess what scene was left out of the game write up?

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Quest Diagnostics, a name there's a very high chance you will know if you ever had blood work done in a region with a smaller medical system, or if you've ever had to get drug testing done for an employer, has been hacked.

I have walked out of doctors offices who have demanded my social security number (most will ask for it but abide when I refuse to give it to them). I also refused to give it to quest. Since I was paying them directly, I was like, F that, they don't need a social security number. I started this behavior when I went to a new dentist one day and saw everyone's files, (placed right behind the front desk in plain sight), were organized by highly visible social security numbers. 😖

Heath care is a notoriously cheap industry and refuses to invest in anything but the bare minimum when it comes to security for patient privacy. Honestly, there should standards bodies and industry auditing like there are for payments, but there isn't. Same goes for the Insurance Industry and HR in large corporations. I'm really surprised that there have not been a lot more breaches to date as it's a treasure trove of extremely personal information about people ranging from their clothing sizes and weight to their sexual preferences and health.

I am very careful about what I tell a health care provider any more. All they get are the facts for the issue and even then, I ask them not to use the online system or if they do, to put just the minimum amount in.

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
U.S. used trolls to make its Iran case

But according to the Intercept report, it turns out Alavi, the self-proclaimed “Iranian activist with a passion for equal rights” who claims to be “in contact with sources that provide credible information about the mullahs’ regime in Tehran,” was a team of MEK members producing the content in Albania.

That didn’t stop Forbes, the Hill, Daily Caller and even the Voice of America from amplifying Alavi’s platform as a voice on Iran policy. [Note: Forbes and Voice of America have since removed “Alavi’s” pieces from their websites.] All of these outlets, and several more, have published articles by Alavi that claimed the MEK is the main opposition to the current Iranian regime.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I didn't see the cartoon, but from the description it was a pretty gross error of judgment to run it and it seems the editor responsible has rightly been "disciplined" (and it would not be unjustified, to my mind, if in this case "disciplined" means "fired") but all-in-all it seems an even more gross error of judgment then to ban all cartoons from the international edition (I wasn't aware they were banned from the domestic one, come to that).

Heavens, what do the NYT think they pay editors to do?

ETA: From The Times (not of anywhere -- sorry, but nomenclatures like The Times of London or, even worse, The London Times really grate on me):

Last edited:

Romana

I didn't see the cartoon, but from the description it was a pretty gross error of judgment to run it and it seems the editor responsible has rightly been "disciplined" (and it would not be unjustified, to my mind, if in this case "disciplined" means "fired") but all-in-all it seems an even more gross error of judgment then to ban all cartoons from the international edition (I wasn't aware they were banned from the domestic one, come to that).

Heavens, what do the NYT think they pay editors to do?

ETA: From The Times (not of anywhere -- sorry, but nomenclatures like The Times of London or, even worse, The London Times really grate on me):

I saw it. It was pretty awful, and offensive on a number of levels. I'm no fan of Netanyahu (I can't stand him, or his government) and I found it so.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

"Just as much as God loves, God hates,” he said.

Fritts said he never called on civilians to commit violence against members of the LGBTQ community. He told his congregation Wednesday that responsibility lies with the government.

He finished his commentary by saying, “put homos to death.”
"Christian"