Nobody cares about food.

Sid

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
This surely has to be a chicken-and-egg thing. As long as I've been alive, I've never seen any supermarket arranged substantially different from the way they all are now: all produce and refrigerated items along the walls, all freezers together.
In modern supermarket marketing there are shelf space wars. At least over here. Because the supermarkets are a bit smaller over here, shelf space for a new product is not a given fact. Manufacturers have to work hard (do something with the price etc) to get in. Just running ads doesn't sell, if you don't have your product for sale in the major supermarkets.

And when you are in, it is not over:
If manufacturer X wants his product Y on top spot shelves, they have to pay for it, and for every inch more that they desire. The marketeers know exactly which shelve in what lane sells product Y the most.
They have knowledge about which spot in a lane sells best, in the middle more to the right or more to the left, the shelve at eye level or the one just one above or under that one.... they test and test again. Supermarkets don't only earn their money from their customers but from their manufacturers and wholesalers as well.

Manufacturers even have to pay to become a supermarkets promotion item like 2=1 or 25% bonus card discount at check out etc.
It is totally not everything stays because we always did it that way. It is because the psychological tricks still works, longer than you live already.

Every known trick in the book is used, from lighting, smells (fresh baked bread etc) a coffee bar (have you tried these cookies and the brand of coffee you are dinking right now?), a reading table close to the promotion isles, all thought true and fine tuned on a dayly bases.
Watch the suits walking around regulary with store management, pointing at goods, making notes etc. They are constantly optimizing.

tldr:
We are tricked over and over, to buy more and other stuff then we came for.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
In modern supermarket marketing there are shelf space wars. At least over here. Because the supermarkets are a bit smaller over here, shelf space for a new product is not a given fact. Manufacturers have to work hard (do something with the price etc) to get in. Just running ads doesn't sell, if you don't have your product for sale in the major supermarkets.

And when you are in, it is not over:
If manufacturer X wants his product Y on top spot shelves, they have to pay for it, and for every inch more that they desire. The marketeers know exactly which shelve in what lane sells product Y the most.
They have knowledge about which spot in a lane sells best, in the middle more to the right or more to the left, the shelve at eye level or the one just one above or under that one.... they test and test again. Supermarkets don't only earn their money from their customers but from their manufacturers and wholesalers as well.
Right; it's certainly true that soup brands, say, fight over where exactly in the soup aisle their can gets to go. But that's a different animal altogether from where freezers and refrigerators get placed. That's decided when the building is first constructed and pretty much never changes. You can see the dry-goods and canned-goods shelves in supermarkets being rearranged every so often, for the reasons you mention (much to the grumbling and complaining of every shopper I've heard, who now can't find what they want as quickly); but the coolers and freezers never move. Practically speaking, in most places they probably cant move, not without closing the store and extensively renovating to move the utilities.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
If you look at where the prime locations are, it is often on a line between the front door and the milk. You could put high demand items in the front of the store to make it easier for customers, but the more products that a person has to pass, the more likely they are to make impulse purchases.

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Fizzy!💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
I made bonless fried chicken and made it into a sandwich, it twas good.

(Corn on the cob is overrated)
*Runs away*

• 1Disagree

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
I'm cooking sandwich steak tonight as steak for...a sandwich.
Sandwich steak was very thin slices of top round, cooked in olive oil and sweet onions. Served with melted Havarti cheese on wheat toast. So good I had 2!

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
There is a small chain of 54 sandwich shops that spans the length of California's Central Valley from Bakersfield to Stockton, mainly along the east side of the valley (with a location in San Luis Obispo and one north of Monterey) called Deli Delicious. Their sandwiches - hot or cold - are simply amazing! I only wish there was one near where I work.

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Made peanut butter bread today and wonder why its not more common, like it just seems like something that would be moreso than it is, like banana bread is.

Also need to make peanut butter banana bread.
Are you willing to share your peanut butter bread recipe?

• 1Like

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Made peanut butter bread today and wonder why its not more common, like it just seems like something that would be moreso than it is, like banana bread is.

Also need to make peanut butter banana bread.
I have actually never heard of peanut butter bread before. Got a recipe to share?

• 1Like

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Here's a great flourless recipe for peanut butter bread, for you keto-ish folk...

(I've used sugar when I make it, because SUGAR.)

Sid

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Here's a great flourless recipe for peanut butter bread, for you keto-ish folk...

What are lg. eggs?

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Fizzy!💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
I have actually never heard of peanut butter bread before. Got a recipe to share?
Are you willing to share your peanut butter bread recipe?
It's not my recipe, got it from glenn and friends cooking on youtube and he got it out of a cookbook, if you search it out on youtube it's one of their most recent vids.

Also id up the sugar a little from the orignal.

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Damn that looks good. I think I might try it as muffins with Lily's dark chocolate chips!