#IMP45CH #LOCKHIMUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
TBF, that room was done in the 60's, before Trump got his tiny hands on it - you can tell because even though is nauseatingly ostentatious, it's at least consistent 18th-century French all the way through.
Yes, in a 18th century Gothic castle or palace this could be found. But in a relative modern building as Mar a Lago it is totally misplaced and nothing more than bombastic kitsch IMHO. Just like plastic red Christmas trees in the White House.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Rooms like that were made to be seen when indoor lighting was burning wax or oil. Gold accents and bright colors reflect dim yellowish light well. Once brighter electric lights became widely used, that kind of decoration fell out of fashion because it looks garish in strong even lighting.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Yes, in a 18th century Gothic castle or palace this could be found. But in a relative modern building as Mar a Lago it is totally misplaced and nothing more than bombastic kitsch IMHO. Just like plastic red Christmas trees in the White House.
A couple years ago for fun I was looking at listings for condominiums in New York City. There was this one, a penthouse on top of I think an apartment building on Central Park West. From the outside this building looks (to me at least) like any other building in that area of the city that I've seen pictures of, and most of the apartments are probably totally unremarkable. But the interior of this penthouse was completely made to look very convincingly like some frontier Mexican villa. With very rough-hewn wood, faux adobe-mud walls, arched doorways and hallways, tarnished looking fixtures. On top of a high-rise in New York. So bizarre.

• 1Like
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Govi

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Yeh, the electromagnetic vs steam catapult thing has been an ongoing Trump whinge since like forever.
Actually a friend's husband commented a few years back that the manager he worked for back then (on a navy catapult system - don't know which one, no details were given) was a complete idiot. I'm sure with the level of oversight defense contracts get anything he bogged up would have been caught and corrected, but he was frustrated about the effect he was having on the project.

I wouldn't worry about the state of the catapults anyways. Odds are, any confrontation with a Russian or Chinese client state will find our carriers taking on serious damage from hyper-sonic missiles. I understand the space-launched ones are highly maneuverable.

Not that I'm defending the felon-in-chief.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Trump threatens to cut subsidies for GM after layoff, plant closure announcement | ABC News

Basically in a nutshell, Trump has encouraged people to buy more SUVs and less electric vehicles and hybrids. That, plus the effects of tariffs, caused GM to discontinue the Chevy Volt and Cruze, among several other passenger cars, shutter plants, and lay off 15 percent of its workforce. This is causing Trump to appear to renege on one of his campaign promises, and he's not happy. Clearly, the man has never learned about cause and effect.

Funny thing is, he's threatening to withhold subsidies that were scheduled to be phased out anyways.

Last edited:

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Yeah one of the factories GM just decided to close was the factory that made the Volt. So GM wasn't even going to have any electric vehicles anymore. So what's even the point of threatening to cut the electric vehicle subsidy?

• 1Thanks

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
It's not likely he'll make that state visit, I guess, but if he does, I suspect the interior of Buckingham Palace might give him pause for thought as he compares it with his properties.

He'll probably insist on having a golf cart there so he doesn't have to tackle the long corridors.

Last edited:

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Yeah one of the factories GM just decided to close was the factory that made the Volt. So GM wasn't even going to have any electric vehicles anymore. So what's even the point of threatening to cut the electric vehicle subsidy?
The Volt is a hybrid vehicle. The Bolt is all-electric. Is GM discontinuing production of both?

• 1Thanks

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Actually, it looked that way in 1957 too:

It was declared a National Historic Landmark before Trump bought it, so he can't change the historic features.
If it was in a time period correct house, like a castle or palace, I could agree with that choice.
Seen trough European eyes, I don't understand how they came to that decision to be honest.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
The Volt is a hybrid vehicle. The Bolt is all-electric. Is GM discontinuing production of both?
Asia and Europe will keep developing electrical cars and hybrids. That type of cars will most likely take over a huge share of the market in the next decade. And rightfully so. The world wide CO2 emissions have increased last year for the first time since several years. So this concept has to be pushed forward, not much choice there.
A missed chance for GM if they don't participate. To much short time vision. There will be another president in 2020 and besides that, one fool in office can't stop worldwide progress.

Last edited:

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Well the leading brand in electrical cars is still Tesla, we should not forget that. They have got a 2-3 years advance compared to their competitors at least when coming to handling the electrical stuff, while the competetitors have a gigantic advance in build quality, who are now playing forcedly the caching on game because of the regulations in China. In China an electrical car gets its license plate immediately, but if you got a conventional engine you've got to wait months. So guess what most customers there now want to buy... by the way China and Japan have met the Paris climate agreements goals.

Anyway, there are other possibilities like using conventional engines with natural gas, or artificially fabricated natural gas out of electrical power. If the battery science is not going to have some breakthroughs in the next few years, we are still going to be dependant on those engines at least for trucks, tractors, ships, airplanes and other stuff.

• 1Thanks

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
If it was in a time period correct house, like a castle or palace, I could agree with that choice.
Seen trough European eyes, I don't understand how they came to that decision to be honest.
Well of course you wouldn't put over the top 18th century decor in a modern building. But we don't have any castles or palaces from that time.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Asia and Europe will keep developing electrical cars and hybrids. That type of cars will most likely take over a huge share of the market in the next decade. And rightfully so. The world wide CO2 emissions has increased last year for the first time since several years. So this concept has to be pushed forward, not much choice there.
A missed chance for GM if they don't participate. To much short time vision. There will be another president in 2020 and besides that, one fool in office can't stop worldwide progress.
Yes, only an idiot can not see the future is trending towards things like hybrids and electric vehicles. Not to mention more mass transit where it makes sense. Plus fewer cars in garages and more hooked to recharging stations for leasing with your smartphone. The age of individual cars that run on petrochemicals is dying. If GM wants to bail now I doubt other car manufacturers will shed much of a tear for them.

• 1Like

danielravennest

SLU Posts
GM also makes the Chevy Bolt, which is a full electric car. The Volt is a plug-in hybrid (about 50 miles on battery, then runs on gas).

Electric Car sales scorecard

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Sid and Brenda Archer

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Well of course you wouldn't put over the top 18th century decor in a modern building. But we don't have any castles or palaces from that time.
Depends on the building - in Berlin there's since 2013 the reconstruction of the 1950 demolished Berlin Palace on its way; so we got here exactly that, a modern building made out of concrete with old decor put on top.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Kaimi Kyomoon

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Yes, only an idiot can not see the future is trending towards things like hybrids and electric vehicles. Not to mention more mass transit where it makes sense. Plus fewer cars in garages and more hooked to recharging stations for leasing with your smartphone. The age of individual cars that run on petrochemicals is dying. If GM wants to bail now I doubt other car manufacturers will shed much of a tear for them.
The UK and France will be banning new petrol- and diesel-powered cars from 2040 onwards (New diesel and petrol cars face 2040 ban) , and there's talk of bringing that forward to 2030

While ministers last summer followed France by pledging to halt new petrol and diesel car sales by 2040, other countries are looking to ban them years earlier. Scotland is aiming for 2032, India wants to only sell electric models by 2030 and Norway, the world leader on the take-up of battery-powered cars, has set a 2025 deadline.
Ban new petrol and diesel cars in 2030, not 2040, says thinktank

Status
Not open for further replies.