- Joined
- Sep 20, 2018
- Messages
- 24,428
- SLU Posts
- 18459
Evernote link because paywallThe feds are seriously talking about letting most of these terrorists go.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/doj-capitol-rioters-charges-debate/2021/01/23/3b0cf112-5d97-11eb-8bcf-3877871c819d_story.html
If they keep moving in this direction, by the time Trump's impeachment gets to trial, our party leadership will be telling us to get over it, just like Ford told us to do when he let Nixon off the hook.
I can see the problem.
I mean, I don't think anyone's suggested dropping any of the more serious charges, but it seems they're considering how vigorously to pursue people who were milling around outside as part of the mob, but didn't do anything else, and were presumably guilty of riot or less serious public order offences, but nothing else, and then, rather higher up the scale, people who actually entered the Capitol, but committed no further offences and just hung around taking selfies, until directed to leave.
Certainly, though, they should prosecute not just the ringleaders and planners, but anyone who committed any offences other than simply being inside the buildings or simply being a member of the mob outside.












