2020 Democratic Primary

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
God I despise all this angry crap. There is our country to save. I am/was a Bernie supporter. Biden is a distant 2nd for me however at this point he is our best hope. Now, I do wish Bernie would just give it up since there isn't any hope he can win and we can get on with things.
Some people feel uncomfortable with anger. That's fine. There is a reason people are angry, very angry. Speaking for myself only, when Trump was elected I was demoralized at first; shocked. It has been a long 3 years, 58 days, 21 hours, 45 minutes and 39 seconds. Crimes and indignities upon our democracy, upon our people, upon human rights, upon morality, upon truth, upon the law, etc...have been visited upon us each and every one of those days, most days in multiple manners. It has been an all-out assault upon everything that I and others value; even an assault upon what this country is supposed to value. Shock became anger and that certainly has risen with each passing day.

Not only am I furious with him and his cronies, I am furious with those who put him there (in case that wasn't obvious). That has risen each day, as well, because not only do they not admit their mistake, they double down. They lie for him, they make excuses for him, they play games like bothsideism, they pass along propaganda, all while the damage he does is abundantly clear. Some of Bernie's supporters play the same game, so yeah, they're going to see that anger, as well.

You don't have to like that anger, but it isn't going anywhere.

ETA: Got rid of bolding. I didn't realize it had done that.

Last edited:

Brian

Not really. You'd have to do that a hundred times or so before you reached the limit.
First, you miss the point:
that the low dollar donations are poor people giving all that they can afford and are being represented as a much larger base than it is in reality.
People in this very board have bragged about sending his campaign "another" donation which is pretty much similar to what so many do when they make monthly donations to campaigns.

Second, you're also dead wrong with that conclusion.

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
First, you miss the point:
that the low dollar donations are poor people giving all that they can afford and are being represented as a much larger base than it is in reality.
People in this very board have bragged about sending his campaign "another" donation which is pretty much similar to what so many do when they make monthly donations to campaigns.

Second, you're also dead wrong with that conclusion.

Thousands, out of millions. 2016. I don't know if his campaign has gotten better at catching these themselves.

But yeah. Because it has to be reported to the FEC, anyway, both the number of unique donors and the total contributions is known. Math is hard.

The press has considered it a strength that he can get repeat donations. When you're donating $27 at a time ($18 this year) you can donate every month. If you give $2800 in a wine cave gala, you're done. And Bernie Bros do take pride in "rage donations". Something bad happens and they make another donation.

Some campaigns have encouraged donations of $1. That's for the purpose of lowering the average donation. Sometimes Bernie Bros ponder if they should do this and I encourage them not to, because something on the order of 35 cents goes to credit card processing fees no matter the size of the donation (in addition to a percentage).

I make infrequent, larger donations because I don't give a crap about the numbers games. I just want as little as possible to go to overhead.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
What's the difference between someone making a single donation of however many thousand dollars it amounted to and that same person donating, almost daily, $25 or $27 at a time over a month or so?

It's maybe more affordable for the donor, though I'd have thought payments every week or month, or whatever the pay interval is, would be more convenient.

But otherwise, what's the difference, other than that one method may give the misleading impression that the campaign is financed entirely by small donations from far more supporters than is actually the case, by tending to conceal the fact that some of the donors are clearly able to donate not inconsiderable amounts of money?

I mean, $27 isn't a great of money, and it wouldn't hurt me to donate it a cause with which I agreed. But no matter how much I agreed with the cause I'd need to be earning a great deal more than I do in order to be able to donate ($27 * 30 =) $810 a month to it.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
What's the difference between someone making a single donation of however many thousand dollars it amounted to and that same person donating, almost daily, $25 or $27 at a time over a month or so?
I really think we need publicly funded elections. It is the only way to assure politicians aren't bending their policies for cash - of any amount - and it gives those with great ideas but not a lot of structure behind them a far greater chance of getting the public's attention.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The former is someone with a fair amount of mad money. The latter is just mad.

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
The latter is trying too hard to contribute to the mathematics of small donations.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
My Bernie or Bust College student nephew sent me this:

I just wrote out my thoughts on an online forum for why I’ll never vote for Biden, if he’s the nominee:

If Biden is the nominee we have 3 options: refuse to vote, write in Bernie, or show support for the PSL and vote for Gloria La Riva.

On every single issue Joe Biden, a proven liar, is either unimpressive or atrocious. Regarding foreign policy, he helped orchestrate the Iraq War and expand the drone war and sat idly by as Libya was destroyed. Regarding climate change, Biden’s plan - if he even sticks to it - is a half measure that will barely take us in the right direction. Regarding immigration, Obama deported ~2 million immigrants and set up the camps. Regarding abortion, Biden supported the Hyde Amendment and smeared Anita Hill in order to help Clarence Thomas, a radical conservative who threatens Roe v. Wade, reach the Supreme Court. Regarding race, Joe Biden was a segregationist and good friend of Strom Thurmond to the point that he eulogized the man. Joe Biden wants to keep marijuana illegal & wrote the 1994 Crime Bill, making him a proponent of the War on Drugs and ally of the prison industrial complex. Joe Biden has never shown any real support to unions, only lip service. On gay rights, Biden was against gay marriage for most of his career only until it was politically expedient for the Democratic establishment to support gay rights.

On every single issue, Bernie is superior to Biden; on every single issue, Biden is similar to Trump.
Yeah, I know this was posted several days ago. I'm trying to catch up.

Here we go again. It seems the Bernie-or-Busters haven't learned from 2016, and they're going to hand the election to Trump again! It's fucking ironic how they won't vote for Biden because he's "like Trump", but have no qualms about doing the very thing that will keep Trump in the Oval Office! I want to smack these idiots into next week!

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
You can laugh, enjoy it. But Biden is going to lose.
And you think Sanders would win? He can't even beat Biden! You say Biden would lose against Trump, but Sanders, who is losing against Biden, would win against Trump?

There aren't enough hours in a day to untangle that logical mess!

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
While I feel fairly confident that Trump will continue to drop the ball and generally fuck things up - I really hope he'll pull his head out of his ass and get it right for a change - because I love the American people. I don't like Trump. I didn't vote for him. But, in this - I'm totally rooting (routing?) for him because I'm really scared if he fails then America will fail.
I would normally say that the best thing Trump could do to ensure the survivability and success of this country is to resign. But I'm not convinced Pence would do any better. By putting Trump/Pence in the White House, America had pretty much signed its own death warrant.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Has anyone asked him in what way, exactly, he's "dealing with a f**king global crisis." ?

He's presumably not qualified to offer scientific advice to the WHO or any similar organisations, national or international, and it's illegal for US citizens, I thought, to conduct foreign policy save on behalf of the US government, as Mike Flynn found out, so what exactly is he doing that's so globally important?

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Has anyone asked him in what way, exactly, he's "dealing with a f**king global crisis." ?

He's presumably not qualified to offer scientific advice to the WHO or any similar organisations, national or international, and it's illegal for US citizens, I thought, to conduct foreign policy save on behalf of the US government, as Mike Flynn found out, so what exactly is he doing that's so globally important?
Well, his job is to help pass laws, or keep crap ones from passing - and if he's missing votes, he's not even doing that.