2020 Democratic Primary

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
As Rachel Maddow discussed on her show tonight: 3 weeks.

Three weeks from time of infection is when the people who aren't going to get better on their own start showing up at hospitals. What we're experiencing at the moment is like living in the past. The few critical cases we see are a snapshot of what happened 3 weeks ago. In three weeks time THEN you'll know what's really going on right now.

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Well it was a woman that started the questioning about if he was wrapping up his vanity campaign and we all know how much it offends Bernie to be questioned by a woman.
Is that a thing? I am not a fan of Bernie but I've never noticed that, but I haven't seen many interviews with him.

Salome

Vermicious Knid
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
Is that a thing? I am not a fan of Bernie but I've never noticed that, but I haven't seen many interviews with him.
It’s a thing. He is regularly more aggressive and dismissive of women reporters and invades the personal space of women who confront him with the finger-wagging, etc. He’s been called out on it just as much as Biden with the uninvited affection stuff.

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
...break with the tradition of the last three years...

Margaret Henoch, a former CIA officer who joined the agency in the Reagan administration, agreed that a public endorsement is “absolutely” unheard of for career professionals
...going all the way back to 2016. I asked my grandpa and he says it was quite the thing, back in the olden days, for all the spooks to endorse a presidential candidate.

LOL WaPo

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
This is also why I’m glad Warren has delegates.

The convention, in whatever COVID-19-adapted form it takes, makes determinations not just about the Party's nominee, but also about other critical matters like the Party's platform and rules. It's imperative that the progressive wing be duly represented in those processes.
Bernie Sanders should stay in the Democratic race

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

...going all the way back to 2016. I asked my grandpa and he says it was quite the thing, back in the olden days, for all the spooks to endorse a presidential candidate.

LOL WaPo
Would your grandfather be able to help me locate examples of some of these endorsements from back in the olden days? If I had some names (individuals or organisations) and a year, that would help me find them, I'm sure.

• 1Love
Reactions: Salome

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Would your grandfather be able to help me locate examples of some of these endorsements from back in the olden days? If I had some names (individuals or organisations) and a year, that would help me find them, I'm sure.
John Negroponte, America's first Director of National Intelligence, August 2016
Colin Powell, National Security Advisor under Reagan and SOS of Bush Jr., October 2016
Brent Scowcroft, National Security Advisor for presidents Ford and Bush Sr., June 2016
Michael Morell, deputy director then acting director of the CIA under Obama, August 2016
Leon Panetta, director of CIA and Sec of Defense under Obama, January 2016

Grandpa says this is exhausting.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Colin Powell, National Security Advisor under Reagan and SOS of Bush Jr., October 2016
Brent Scowcroft, National Security Advisor for presidents Ford and Bush Sr., June 2016
Michael Morell, deputy director then acting director of the CIA under Obama, August 2016

Thanks, but I think the Washington Post's point was that it's the first time a group -- a large group, too, in this case -- of security professionals have issued a collective endorsement in this way, rather than individuals issuing their own personal endorsements.

That's the way I read it, anyway.

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
Thanks, but I think the Washington Post's point was that it's the first time a group -- a large group, too, in this case -- of security professionals have issued a collective endorsement in this way, rather than individuals issuing their own personal endorsements.

That's the way I read it, anyway.
That's the way I read it, too. Because that's the way it was written and that's what was meant. But why read things literally when you can twist them to fit your own agenda?

Again, the reminders of Trump supporters are growing stronger. I hope that stops soon, because we won't win against him that way.

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts

LOL WaPo
That is pedantic as fuck, and a purposeful misreading of it to try to detract from it not being about Saint Bernie.

Salome

Vermicious Knid
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
Again, the reminders of Trump supporters are growing stronger. I hope that stops soon, because we won't win against him that way.
Oh, lots of high profile Bernie surrogates have been going salt-the-earth and/or full MAGA since it became clear Sanders doesn’t have a chance in hell. It’s been illuminating to watch horseshoe theory play out.

• 1Like
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts

LOL WaPo
Key word is "career professionals." Political apointees are political. Civil service emplyees are not.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
God I despise all this angry crap. There is our country to save. I am/was a Bernie supporter. Biden is a distant 2nd for me however at this point he is our best hope. Now, I do wish Bernie would just give it up since there isn't any hope he can win and we can get on with things.
Winning the nomination isn’t the only reason for having delegates at the convention. Both Sanders and Warren have enough delegates to exert pressure on the party platform.

There’s also a risk of discouraging voters who feel they didn’t get to have their say because they’re in states with later dates. I think the Democrats should change to a system where everyone votes at the same time, and mostly by mail.

I don’t buy the narrative that having a primary fight is destructive for the general. For one thing, a lot can happen between now and November, good or bad. For another, it’s not going to help to pour energy into people who are still committed Trump voters. They’re a cult. Pushing at them just annoys them.

Democrats can only win in the general with a massive get out the vote effort, both to overcome voter complacency and to make it harder to fix close races with compromised voting machines.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010

So this happened in 2016. Big surprise there since the presidential candidate the democrat is going up against is Trump.

Got any from previous elections?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield