How COVID-19 is affecting society

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Not from The Onion.

A Texas family who lost their sense of smell because of COVID-19 escaped from a massive fire after the only person in their home who is not infected was able to smell the smoke and help them get out of the property in time.

Bianca Rivera, 17, smelled something burning around 2 a.m. Friday and rushed out of her room to alert her three family members.

“I started smelling burnt plastic, and that’s when I got more alert and ran outside of my room,” she told local news station KWTX-TV. “I couldn’t even pass the hallway because it was filled with so much smoke.”
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

Not quite sure how they check that anyone who collects the payment will self-isolate, but at least it helps out honest people who self-isolate.

Bit worried, though, about the number of healthy people -- particularly in the late teens or early 20s -- who might like the prospect of collecting £500 in return for running the very low risk, at their age, of developing serious symptoms, and set out deliberately to get themselves infected.
 
  • 1ROFL
Reactions: Arkady Arkright

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
Covid-19 Sound Map
COVID-19 SOUND MAP
Three days after the first lockdown began in the UK, I put out a call via social media to ask for help capturing sounds which had changed as a result of governments’ actions around the world to curb the spread of the virus. It struck me that the extraordinary times in which we found ourselves would be worth documenting as far as the changing soundscape was concerned.

In recent years, I have become fascinated by how sound maps allow us to preserve non-permanent sounds, or ones that are about to disappear altogether–for example, capturing the soundscape of a location where a new road is about to be built. I believe this is the modern-day equivalent of what Canadian composer and researcher R Murray Schafer referred to back in the 1970s as “museums for disappearing sounds.” I wanted to preserve the temporary sounds of lockdown for the future, while, at the same time, encouraging people to really listen.

...
 

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,979
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka