How COVID-19 is affecting society

Archer

Who knew?
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Is there a syringe shortage now? My neighbor who is diabetic was going on and on about how he can't get his syringes now, and has never had a problem before this. I would not be surprised if the previous administration didn't think to increase production and stockpile things like that.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Is there a syringe shortage now? My neighbor who is diabetic was going on and on about how he can't get his syringes now, and has never had a problem before this. I would not be surprised if the previous administration didn't think to increase production and stockpile things like that.
There might be, but also, when they put me on long acting insulin, it came in pens - they are really trying to phase out the old vial and syringe, as near as I can tell. And the weekly shot I do now [no insulin for me anymore] has the needle built into the pen.

So, I'd imagine they just don't make as many any more, not for retail sale anyway :(

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
Nevertheless, should the Tokyo Olympics be cancelled, one American state has the IOC's back, and will be happy to accommodate everyone's Olympian and Superspreader requirements

To be fair, the number of athletes killed by Covid-19 would probably be still lower than the casualties from any of the following: racist cops, Florida man, incompetent drivers, carjackers, subpar building codes, sinkholes, alligators, the weather...

Grey Mars

To be fair, the number of athletes killed by Covid-19 would probably be still lower than the casualties from any of the following: racist cops, Florida man, incompetent drivers, carjackers, subpar building codes, sinkholes, alligators, the weather...
Quite true, but being Florida I doubt the other causes of death are taking a vacation. With that in mind, what we're looking at is yet ANOTHER way to die from stupid while in Florida.

SL Rez
SLU Posts

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
You're just feeding into the misinformation about Covid-19, not to mention conflating fatalities versus casualties in your comparison, which renders it a meaningless bait-and-switch.

The FATALITIES due to Covid-19 in this age group is probably quite small, but the CASUALTIES is much higher than you're crediting. Even young athletes who were never hospitalized could be left with long-term disabilities. Just how many will suffer for months, if not years, if not the rest of their lives is an unknown because so far we haven't been gathering those statistics.

The overemphasis on fatality stats, as if that's the only downside to Covid-19, is missing the larger picture of this virus and the effect it will have on the health of the survivors.

And as for the Twitter post comparing Japan and Florida, all the MORE reason to cancel the Olympics. Because athletes from the U.S. will bring the virus with them when they come to Japan, as will all the other athletes from other countries. This is a guaranteed super-spreader event in the heart of Japan.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Arkady Arkright

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
Quite true, but being Florida I doubt the other causes of death are taking a vacation. With that in mind, what we're looking at is yet ANOTHER way to die from stupid while in Florida.
You're just feeding into the misinformation about Covid-19, not to mention conflating fatalities versus casualties in your comparison, which renders it a meaningless bait-and-switch.

[...]
Yeah, I was being farcical there. I don't, for starters, actually believe that alligators kill more people than Covid-19 and as Grey Mars pointed out, even if they did, it's not as if they were taking a break just because of the pandemic.

It just seemed like a good opportunity to list everything that's horrible about that place (I didn't mention the bugs, corruption, heat and a million other things).

I actually kinda wish the IOC decided to agree to that proposition because the Olympic Games are such a waste of resources and hosting them in Florida would hopefully ruin them forever, putting an end to that shit.

Last edited:

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
They could give it to an equitorial country...
What with climate change, Oklahoma might not have long to actually become one, temperature-size. Perhaps they should put the hydroxychloroquine into deep freeze, and wait...