Your most regrettable SL purchase

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Reading the “what would you do differently” thread I saw a few comments about regrettable purchases so I thought I’d branch that topic off.

Mine is probably an expensive shape. Don’t get me wrong, a good shape can be worthwhile, but I bought two in one day before even realizing what I was doing. The first I bought because I guess I thought I’d look like the ad, but of course I didn’t because different skin. I hadn’t yet grasped the concept of skin vs shape. Someone tried to give me advice and explain I could just edit my shape to look like I wanted, but the one I just bought was no mod, so I bought another shape from another place that did offer mod shapes. I liked that second one it well enough after I tweaked it, but I probably could have just edited the base shape since I bought it just because it was mod.

My second most regrettable purchase was renting a room, by the hour, on a cruise ship. In my mind you had to do these things to get privacy for a romantic or sexual rendezvous. I think I ended up spending over $5000L before I found alternatives.

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
I was too quick to buy one of the first Lelutka mesh heads when they came out. It was a large SL purchase for me, and I really should have waited longer, tried out more...even waited for Bento. Because I ended up only using that first one for photos. Never as an everyday head. So that was about $15 I shouldn't have spent.

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Forum Lord💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
The first thing I ever bought!

I found a pair of black boots that looked cool (for the time), camped for lindens for hours and hours (50L, not a lot but is a lot when all your money came from camping) got them... THEY WERE MADE FOR GIANTS AND NO MOD. Kinda turned me off buying clothes that were more than 10L for a while, which is fine cuz I never had many lindens anywho.

Then I wore skate shoes made by Artemis Fate from a freebie box for a couple years after that and rummaged through 1000's of freebies.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I bought several LSL scripts very early on. A few weeks later I was writing better versions of them. Sometimes I jump in a little too deep and then test the water.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
A private jet for 100k L$. I did some good images out of it and it did fly, but after awhile I could not even get it to rez anymore.
What was the prim count?

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I don't even recall, but it was a pretty high number.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Years ago when I was really poor I saved and maybe even bought L$ to buy this fancy Back to the Future Delorean vehicle.

Except it was a chassis and a wearable prim car that was some rediculously high prim count. Total waste.

Val

n00b!1
Joined SLU
03/07/2017
SLU Posts
Anypose for 5K Lindens - it probably would not be regret if I bought it pre-Animare times but that already existed and I have not known about it. Yes, I am the lazy sod who cannot visualise poses in programs so I like in-SL editing (I do love Black Dragon's posing tool and will wait forever for it to go up server side or export poses as it is the best thing I used).

BUT THAT 100K JET! I had to look up current price for that and it is 400$. Most expensive thing I bought was a 20K parcel on Horizons and it is a good set placeholder (nothing actually happens there so ...)

Marianne McCann

Feted Inner Child
SL Rez
Joined SLU
06-01-2008
SLU Posts
The L$2,000 pack of "full perm sounds" I once bought on accident. Utterly useless clips at that, so I've never even been able to make the L$ back.

Also, I might add in my few deposits in Ginko Financial as a "regrettable purchase."

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Land. I have made some poor choices in land by not checking what shit was around.
I have had that several times as well.
Now I only lease private land from long time around land barons. Pay only for a week at a time, until I know I like it there. Then I start paying longer in advance.

• 1Like
Reactions: Kilynn
I have a box of various furry avatars that I bought and never wore for one reason or another (incompatible with mainstream clothing, like the Blue Galaxy feline) or not as displayed on the advertising - because for some reason furry avatars almost never come with demos.

PandoraB

I remember paying 20k (wich I think is still my largest SL purchase ever in the 10+ years) for a sexgen wich had really the worst animations Ive ever seen (and back in those days (Im talking 2007/2008) they werent that great to begin with). Its couple animations resemble vaguely moving their hips, and that for all the 200+ advertised animations.

and oh yeah it also broke at a certain moment, and it wasnt copy.

• 1OMG!
Reactions: Pancake

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
A middling-quality mockup of the spaceship from Firefly. It could fly - kind of - and had a deployable "Mule" or whatever that vehicle was called in the cargo bay. But I think I had this thing rezzed for like two days before deciding it was far too primmy and derezzing it, and I haven't even looked at it since. And it wasn't cheap either. I forget exactly how much, and it wasn't the SUPER-expensive (and super high-quality) version that was available from another creator, but it wasn't cheap.

• 1Sad
  • 1Hug
Reactions: PandoraB and Pancake

Amelia Freund

Joined SLU
10 Sep 2007
SLU Posts
I accidentally bought a L$5k fatpack of hair when I was only intending to buy the demo once. It was at a hair fair a few years back now (pre-mesh even).
The name of the shop escapes me but the style wasn't exactly everyday or useable. It was like Marge Simpson hair with little skulls in it. Sort of something you could only wear once per year with a whimsy Halloween costume and that's about it. And I didn't even end up wearing it for any Halloween!

I think I've also had a handful of skin purchases throughout the years that I perceived to look decent on my av...but then put them back on my avatar a few days/weeks/months later and wondered what I was on at the time.

• 1Aww
  • 1Like
Reactions: GradyE and Pancake