Which Apocalypse Scenario Frightens You Most?

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Anything that makes life permanently unbearable. If it's going to come to that I'll just kill myself. If civilization is going to come to an end from all of the nukes going off and everyone dieing slowly or quickly from radiation, place me at ground zero of one of them.

Sid

Today I will do amazing things but, first coffee.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Anything that makes life permanently unbearable. If it's going to come to that I'll just kill myself. If civilization is going to come to an end from all of the nukes going off and everyone dieing slowly or quickly from radiation, place me at ground zero of one of them.
In the case atomic bombs will fly back and forth I have nothing to worry about. I live within 2 miles from one of the NATO headquarters in Europe, so I will most likely vanish from earth as part of one of the first bombs thrown. Most likely I will never know what hit me then.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Essence Lumin

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
False vacuum collapse would be over before you knew it was coming.

AI takeover under control of hardcore religious nuts. That could take literally forever. And you'd be in unbearable pain all the time.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
What scares me most about that is that the HIggs-Boson field has a scary amount of energy, compared to all the other fields in the universe. An advanced enough civilization would have the technology to siphon some of it off, until one day the odds of quantum tunneling drops a decimal point or two or three and we have a whole new big bang event travelling around at the speed of causation (i.e., the speed of light, but it's only the speed of light because photons, being mass-less, get a free ride on the causation train).

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
So that's the scenario that frightens me most, the one where we have already passed the tipping point and just don't know it yet.
If I were younger and in better health, this would be mine as well. I do think we're past the tipping point, but I won't be around long enough to worry about it except as an intellectual exercise.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Seawitch and Tigger

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
I think we are, but I hope we aren't.

Jo Yardley

Jo Yardley
Pandemic.
I can survive pretty much all other scenarios I can imagine, I'm trained, I'm ready, bring it on.
But when a air born virus strikes, there's so little you can do and death is generally a lot painfuller and slower than many other deaths.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Mukatsuku

I asked my son the same question tonight and he said “That’s easy. Aliens that farm us for breeding stock and food supply”.

. . .

Sometimes I question the parenting choices I made.
Has he recently read "Under the Skin"? (very unlike the film version)

Jopsy Pendragon

Moral Compasses get confused at the North Pole.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I hate traveling for the holidays, it's like 30%-50% of people in airports are coughing or are showing other visible signs of illness. Myself included, cough cough.

Every year it seems like that percentage goes up. 20% of our GDP going to healthcare, and we've got what looks like a perpetual non-lethal pandemic ... Clearly there's some kind of scam at work.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Jopsy Pendragon

Moral Compasses get confused at the North Pole.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I asked my son the same question tonight and he said “That’s easy. Aliens that farm us for breeding stock and food supply”.

. . .

Sometimes I question the parenting choices I made.
Half the guys on this planet would probably volunteer for the breeding stock program ... ;)

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
The one that keeps me up nights is the one where SLUniverse bogs down to the speed of molasses from all the lolcats, closes its doors and is replaced by

......................................oh holy shit.

Caliandris

No-deal Brexit...
No deal Brexit with entirely man made consequences leading to lorries piled up at ports, lack of food at the Supermarkets, and people dividing along remain/Leave lines to blame each other for the mess. Lack of medications, petrol etc. I didn't learn until recently that a lot of the petrochemicals used in the UK come through Rotterdam - that will mean if arrangements for exporting/importing fuel are suspended we'll be in trouble fast.

I am lucky that living in the country near a lot of farmland I would probably be able to get hold of fresh vegetables... but who knows? If people have fuel and are offered a lot of money maybe not. I've always had emergency stores, but I'm thinking of ramping that up, finances permitting, which they don't at the moment.

The UK already is under unreasonable government - the poor are being starved, there are increasing numbers of homeless on the streets and living in precarious accommodation. and lets face it, no bloody government could look at the prospect of Brexit and think it's a good idea for the country, not least for the possible effect on Northern Ireland. People are too tired to rebel at the moment, but throw in some food shortages and problems with getting fuel and medication and I think we could be very close to a breakdown of society. It seems ridiculous to me that people prefer these Tory bastards to the possibility of a few people claiming benefits who might not deserve them... I know I hate how hostile and self-centred our society has become, and I think that leaves it vulnerable to all sorts of ills.

Basically this doesn't feel like fantasy over here, it seems a distinct possibility and it scares me.