What's next for Windows?

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
The new update is supposed to put tabbed widgets in their own section separately from the news feed. This will only be good if you can turn the news feed THE FRICK OFF completely.
Well hey.

Microsoft announced during its Build 2023 developer keynote on May 24 that it will finally allow users to disable the Microsoft News feed that's found in Windows 11's widgets board via an update coming later this year, finally offering a layout that only shows your widgets.

Currently, the widgets board on Windows 11 doesn't have an option to turn off the MSN feed, meaning your widgets are mixed with news and video stories pulled in from the Microsoft News website. While you can hide stories you don't like, you've never been able to outright remove the news feed.

But that will change later this year when Microsoft rolls out an update to Windows 11 that enables a new "widgets only" layout, removing the MSN feed entirely. Users will be able to choose between different layouts, some with and without the MSN feed present.

Well, IF that's the case, then I approve.

ETA: FWIW, the widget window redesign that dropped yesterday just cobbles all of the widgets onto the left side of an expanded Widget panel, with the right side being filled with the MSN news feed. But you don't have to have the Widget panel expanded; by default it stays like it was originally, with all my chosen widgets filling the panel and the news feed only visible until it scrolls down. Mine is going to stay that way until later this year whenever this alleged option to turn the news feed off completely is pushed out.

Last edited:

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
When I became interested in trying out Linux I read about that - that people were saying Windows was messing around with drive partitions when they tried to set up a dual-boot Windows/Linux drive. I think I dodged that by getting a new SSD just for the Linux, so it and Windows lived on their own separate drives rather than just different partitions on the same drive, and so far it has worked and I haven't had any conflicts.
Well Windows did indeed such things, that's a fact. It just replaced LILO/GRUB with its own boot manager, this was way before the days of UEFI.

If you wanted to avoid that, pulling the HDD cables was helpful. Or having a boot CD/USB stick with Linux at hand to later re-install GRUB/LILO, which is something to do not for the feint of the heart.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I wonder if I should just bite and update to Windows 11...

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I haven't had any trouble with it since I upgraded, but I still see from time to time somebody complaining about this or that problem.

I would say that stability wise it's fairly safe by now; but it's also a Microsoft Windows, so there's always a chance of an unexpected bug now and then.

The biggest complaint I continue to hear is from people who just don't like the 11-style Start Menu. I'm accustomed to it. I actually like the centered taskbar but to be honest I kind of did like 10's resizable tiles better. But I also spend like three seconds at a time in the Start Menu so I'm not going back just for that.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I wonder if I should just bite and update to Windows 11...
In my opinion it doesn't really matter one way or another. 10 and 11 are both stable. I like 10 a little better but got a new laptop so 11 it is. Why Microsoft decided they need a new version number is a mystery to me.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I haven't had any trouble with it since I upgraded, but I still see from time to time somebody complaining about this or that problem.

I would say that stability wise it's fairly safe by now; but it's also a Microsoft Windows, so there's always a chance of an unexpected bug now and then.

The biggest complaint I continue to hear is from people who just don't like the 11-style Start Menu. I'm accustomed to it. I actually like the centered taskbar but to be honest I kind of did like 10's resizable tiles better. But I also spend like three seconds at a time in the Start Menu so I'm not going back just for that.
I'll be using OpenShell when I get around to 11.

I might try force installing it it onto this old laptop with TPM 1.2 and an "unsupported" Gen2 core cpu. LOLZ

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
In my opinion it doesn't really matter one way or another. 10 and 11 are both stable. I like 10 a little better but got a new laptop so 11 it is. Why Microsoft decided they need a new version number is a mystery to me.
Probably to force people to buy new hardware. My perfectly functional laptop is too old for Windows 11, or so they say. Unfortunately, there is no new laptop in my foreseeable furure.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I wish Microsoft would stop trying to "upgrade" their operating system. I still prefer windows 10 but I can't have it. All windows 11 gave me is nothing but a screwed up volume control which they still haven't fixed. Really. Not one thing is better. And now they are talking about windows 12. Just update my device drivers, keep up with security updates and leave the rest alone. No ads either please?
I get your frustrations, but nah.... if Microsoft would have followed that line, we would still be stuck with windows 3.11 or so.

I'm still on Windows 10 and have no intention to upgrade so far, but if 12 turns out to be a good upgrade, I'll be there.
Just look at cars: Engine development is still needed, even after more than 130 years.
Computers and their software shells ain't at their max of what is possible either.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I get your frustrations, but nah.... if Microsoft would have followed that line, we would still be stuck with windows 3.11 or so.

I'm still on Windows 10 and have no intention to upgrade so far, but if 12 turns out to be a good upgrade, I'll be there.
Just look at cars: Engine development is still needed, even after more than 130 years.
Computers and their software shells ain't at their max of what is possible either.
If they actually changed much of anything I'd agree. Windows 7 was definitely a step up from XP or Vista. What did 10 bring? It's been so long I don't remember. Not much that I can recall. Maybe I forget, it's been so long. 10 to 11? Nothing really. They screwed up the start menu and the volume control.

Of course the drivers keep getting updated with the later versions.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Almost each Windows upgrade was better than it's predecessor IMHO.
I'm still on 10. because 11 finds that I need to change something in the bios first. And given that most people are not really enthusiastic about 11, I'm to lazy to go trough the documentation to find out how I can enter the bios again (I haven't been there in years and years).
So I stick with 10 until 12 comes out and gets good reviews. Microsoft keeps updating and supporting Windows 10 until somewhere 2025 so no need to rush myself into things.
Good chance I'll go for a new machine by then.

Last edited:

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
my computer is reaching 8 years old.. i jsut bought a bunch of parts so i'm slowlying building it.. to have a new computer by my rl birthday. Hoping windows 11 doesn't give me too much trouble.

everything is being done online.. constant cyber security attacks... information is power in the virual realm. older software is open to vernabilities. the moment something is out there.. hackers are already trying to break it. dig out any info.... reverse engineer it... for good and bad purpose to keep up we constantly change tech. Microsoft is making a push to get people off the old stuff into new. the TPM requirement is ment to help security but

however even tho we use computers every day. it's still very much a luxury item. people can't always afford the lastest stuff. it was very obvious during the pandemic when people were trying to work from home. we are still very much in a transition stage. it's going to be an endless cycle.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Sid and WolfEyes

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Currently, the widgets board on Windows 11
What's this then?

(google)

Don't recognize this.

Where does this live? Maybe I turned it off in my initial fucking around with Windows 11 and don't remember.

While I'm here, is there any way to turn the block of settings widgets on the bottom of the sidebar on Windows 10 back on?

Moar widget news.

Oh that's great news. The third party apps I'm using for this are super-intrusive.

I would kind of be OK with Windows NT 3.51 with Bluetooth and Wifi support and still using subsystems as intended instead of the various hacks they started inserting with XP SP2 to separate kernel components.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Yes, but is it better than 7?
I think it is. Although I still strongly recommend to my users that they restart their computers at least weekly, I find that Windows 10 computers that have been running a bit too long are generally better behaved than Windows 7 computers with the same uptime.

• 1Like
Reactions: Essence Lumin

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
What's this then?

(google)

Don't recognize this.

Where does this live? Maybe I turned it off in my initial fucking around with Windows 11 and don't remember.
Right-click the taskbar and pick taskbar settings, you can turn it on in there.

It sticks a little blurb in the very left corner of your taskbar that is usually your local weather conditions (if you allow it to get those), but very occasionally shows other information depending on what widgets you have selected and pinned. Hover your mouse over this blurb and the widget panel will fly out from the left side of the screen, and hide itself when you click anywhere away from it.

However I HIGHLY suggest you don't do this until after the fall update that's supposed to add the option to completely remove the MSN newsfeed from the panel, because as I said, the MSN newsfeed is bad. There is no single redeeming thing about it.