What Are You Reading?

Free

I'm taking your cows
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Earth-90214
I'm currently into Chasing New Horizons, which is about the mission to Pluto. Actually, it's about a lot more than the mission, and really makes you wonder how NASA is capable of getting anything bigger than a tin can to fly over our heads. Being able to work past the crushing amount of misused politics and actually see something like New Horizons through to the end shows how important these projects are to the people involved with them. Hurrah scientists.

• 1Like
Reactions: Kaimi Kyomoon

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Sep 19, 2018
Columbus, OH
Student papers. Still.

And I am still reading Hogfather out loud to Mrs. Quandry a bit each night. I know it's late for Hogswatch, but it is a lovely book.

• 1Like
Reactions: Seawitch

ranner

Feb 19, 2019
A lot of interesting titles mentioned here. I'm currently preparing my proposal for a Masters' in Sociology, so most of what I've been reading has been geared toward it. Nonetheless, I've been able to read some fiction.

Fiction: Just finished Murakami's A Wild Sheep Chase. One of his earliest works. Murakami wasn't quite happy with himself for the way he'd written this, but I don't see why. It is engaging, amusing, and perplexing, as most of his works are. Very few writers write as much about boredom. Almost all his books feature a resigned, bored individuals prone to painful rumination. All said, I'm only glad I read this one.

Proposal-related: On the other hand, I've been assigned quite a long reading list by my supervisor. I have until May to submit the proposal, and I'm currently sifting through recommended college-level Sociology titles, and hoping to select just the most relevant titles for my literature review.

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Sep 20, 2018
N. Cascade Mtns
I'm just finishing a heartwarming book called "The Day the World Came to Town" about the town of Gander, Newfoundland, Canada, when 38 jetliners (most of them jumbo jets) had to land there with an hour from Europe on September 11th, 2001 when US airspace was suddenly closed down because of the terrorist attacks. The town of Gander had a population of less than 10,000 people & suddenly had almost 7,000 passengers & crew members to house, feed & care for until those planes could continue on to airports in the US several days later. Like many of you I've grown cynical & burned out on the bad things people do to each other & the horrible president & his cronies we have right now. I don't usually read sappy stories but I'm so glad I read this book. It brings back at least a bit of hope that there are still good people in the world. I highly recommend reading this book even if you think it's not up your alley. :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T4UNU0/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

• 1Like
Reactions: Myradyl Muse

Marie Reynaud

bluebird of complacency
Mar 17, 2019
I'm currently halfway through "Christine Falls" by Benjamin Black, which is the pen name of an Irish writer named John Banville. I'm also reading Gregory of Tours "History of the Franks" only slightly disappointed that it isn't anything about hotdogs.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Maggy Hazelnut