What Are You Reading?

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
He spent at least a half dozen pages on eating a bowl of captain crunch cereal in Cryptonomicon.
That may be my favorite part of that book. Sometimes, verbosity is worthwhile.

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yeah, Stephenson is famously long winded. I remember reading an essay from him once where he bemoaned what he referred to as the 'cult of brevity'. I mean, I do like his style, but it's a lot to get through sometimes. He spent at least a half dozen pages on eating a bowl of captain crunch cereal in Cryptonomicon.

Anyway, right now I'm reading Crisis in the Red Zone. It's Richard Preston's sequel to The Hot Zone. It came out less than a year ago, so it's more up to date, and focuses on the 2013-14 ebola outbreak. It's a bit of a gut check, because it's gory as hell, and he spends too much time on characterization and plot for my taste, because I like my non-fiction dry, but it's a good read.
I'm still reading Crisis in the Red Zone. I will read some and then put it down and read something else. For me, it's not because it's dry, it's because it's damned frightening and it freaks me out. It is a good read though.

• 1Like
Reactions: bubblesort

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Fans of John Connolly's Charlie Parker series , which I can never really categorise -- noir, hard boiled PI thrillers with a distinct occult twist, maybe, but they're a lot more than that -- will be pleased to know he's publishing a novella, online, one chapter a day (up to chapter 28 now).

If you've not yet discovered Mr Parker and his associates, he's well worth a look, particularly if you like very dark, deadpan, dry humour.

Zaida Gearbox

I just finished An Easy Death and A Longer Fall by Charlane Harris of Sookie Stackhouse infamy, and now I'm bummed out because there's no more to read in this series for awhile. I don't know how often she releases books, but I hope it's not a two year cycle like JK Rowlings. I keep promising myself that I won't start a series that isn't finished, but then I totally do.

Now, I am reading Devoted by Dean Koontz. I think the Golden Retriever in the book must be a descendant of the dog in The Watchers.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I'm currently re-reading Narnia for the umpteenth time, and then I'm going on to the Lord of the Rings, also for the umpteenth time - I stopped reading for a while because I didn't have good lighting, but now I've got a newish bulb next to the bed so.... and I really want to go to places I love really well before bed, not to new places that won't let me actually go to sleep. 'And then what happened'

Book_Thief

Just finished my second read of The Prisoner of Heaven, the third part of The Cemetery of the Forgotten Books series. The story follows a man named Daniel, since his very childhood in Barcelona just recovering from the terrors of WW2 and Spanish Civil War, so the books are soaked with magical realism and the atmosphere lulling the reader into a melancholic dream-like state. The story, by the way, is also full of action, the first book does a fantastic job building up the anticipation before the events start unfolding and the action grips you, and the characters as well as dialogues and so rich and filled with witty humour, humble human suffering and simplicity. Much recommend!

Book_Thief

"Myths and Legends" by Philip Wilkinson. I want to get acquainted with mythology as I am very interested in analythical psychology, archetypes and how myths and religions around the world express archetypal patterns of behaviour in a symbolic way.

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Myradyl Muse

Mermaid Myradyl Muse
SL Rez
Thoroughly enjoying 'The Immortalists' by Chloe Benjamin, a tale about how family members respond to knowing the dates of their own deaths. It's a well crafted blend of mysticism, family relations and tensions, indelible fate versus self-determination.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Just finished my second read of The Prisoner of Heaven, the third part of The Cemetery of the Forgotten Books series. The story follows a man named Daniel, since his very childhood in Barcelona just recovering from the terrors of WW2 and Spanish Civil War, so the books are soaked with magical realism and the atmosphere lulling the reader into a melancholic dream-like state. The story, by the way, is also full of action, the first book does a fantastic job building up the anticipation before the events start unfolding and the action grips you, and the characters as well as dialogues and so rich and filled with witty humour, humble human suffering and simplicity. Much recommend!
Sad news this morning. I think I will restart his series this summer.

• 1Sad
Reactions: Myradyl Muse

Myradyl Muse

Mermaid Myradyl Muse
SL Rez
Sad news this morning. I think I will restart his series this summer.
Sorry to hear this. I will miss his writings. I was on vacation in Mexico several years ago, sans reading material, and found his book Shadow of the Wind at a book exchange kiosk for travellers. It was a delightful chance find in a faraway place when one's thirst to read outstrips one's thirst for imbibing.

Book_Thief

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I just finished An Easy Death and A Longer Fall by Charlane Harris of Sookie Stackhouse infamy, and now I'm bummed out because there's no more to read in this series for awhile. I don't know how often she releases books, but I hope it's not a two year cycle like JK Rowlings. I keep promising myself that I won't start a series that isn't finished, but then I totally do.

Now, I am reading Devoted by Dean Koontz. I think the Golden Retriever in the book must be a descendant of the dog in The Watchers.
I just stumbled on to Devoted, it's a pretty good read.

• 1Like
Reactions: Zaida Gearbox

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts

Not sure about her recent series, but when True Blood was her primary series, I managed to have a new book for Mrs Quandry on her birthday every year.

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Hollow Kingdom by Kira Jane Buxton

I picked it up because the it features a crow and I absolutely love crows and ravens, they are so, so smart!

Anyhow, it is sort of like ""the secret life of pets" meets "the walking dead"". Good read and narrated in a very unusual and amusing way.

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Joined SLU
March 2009
SLU Posts
I just started reading "The Ten Thousand Doors of January" by Alix E. Harrow. It grabs you right from the first page! Even tho I've just started it I already feel like it deserves more than 5 stars. Absolutely incredible writing. :)

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I have just finished A Memory Called Empire, by Arkady Martine, and I've fallen for it in a big way.

It's a beautifully-written space opera that considers themes of identity, culture, memory and colonialism, and is also a great story with some very engaging characters, and I'm really glad there's a second volume expected next year.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau