FIGHT FORUM AVATAR OPPRESSION
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Lindalino
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
I've just started on Understanding the Brain: From Cells to Behavior to Cognition, by John E. Dowling, professor emeritus at Harvard University.

I guess this is an updating of his book from 20 years ago, Creating Mind. I read that when it came out. Not that I recall all that much from it. But anyway, I got interested in picking up this new one from an Ars Technica post about it:

Understanding the Brain is a catalog of all we don’t know about the brain

Sep 23, 2018
Detroit, Mi.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Madison's Gift: Five Partnerships That Built America, by David O. Stewart.

eku zhong

Zhonging along.
Sep 20, 2018
居留守
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Mar 2009
SLU Posts
I just read Crazy Rich Asians.. I laughed a lot... its just so amazingly spot on .. I don't think I can watch the movie now.. it will spoil things for me.

Sep 19, 2018
Portland, OR
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I have an interest in Buddhism. It isn't really a religion with a primary text like the Bible or the Quran. There are overviews from a particular perspective such as some of the books by Thich Nhat Hanh. However, a book that tries to be comprehensive about the history and meaning of Buddhism is hard to find. I was given the 700 page book below. It is excellent. I'm 1/2 way through it. A picture of the cover, then a scan I made of two pages to give an idea of the book's style.

Last edited:

Free

FIGHT FORUM AVATAR OPPRESSION
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Lindalino
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
I've been slowly reading Ahsoka by E.K. Johnston and it helps that I like the character, because the tale (and writing to a degree) is plodding.

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego, California
SL Rez
Joined SLU
The best book I've read recently was 1000 White Women . It was a good story with great characters and I feel like I learned some things.

Rose Karuna

It's cold, Xerdan is wearing a hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 24, 2018
Someplace new soon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Tim Dorsey's "No Sunscreen for the Dead" and totally LMAO. If you love weird stories about Florida and crazy retirees, this is the book for you.

Ysanne

Oct 24, 2018
"Das Universum ist eine beschissene Gegend"
Which translates to: "The Universe is a shitty place"

It's a scientific and humorous approach to common believes about the universe. A perfect form of entertainment for people like me who constantly complain about sound in space movies or have situations like these...

Random Person: Look, a star.
Me: How many times do I have to repeat this... it's not a star, it's a planet! Venus to be precise.

I do not think there is an English version available, though.

Last edited:

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego, California
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I'm just starting "Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About The World - And Why Things Are Better Than You Think". It's already cheering me up a little bit.