What Are You Reading?

Free

I'm taking your cows
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Earth-90214
I've just started on Understanding the Brain: From Cells to Behavior to Cognition, by John E. Dowling, professor emeritus at Harvard University.

I guess this is an updating of his book from 20 years ago, Creating Mind. I read that when it came out. Not that I recall all that much from it. But anyway, I got interested in picking up this new one from an Ars Technica post about it:

Understanding the Brain is a catalog of all we don’t know about the brain

• 1Like
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Pamela
Sep 19, 2018
Portland, OR
I have an interest in Buddhism. It isn't really a religion with a primary text like the Bible or the Quran. There are overviews from a particular perspective such as some of the books by Thich Nhat Hanh. However, a book that tries to be comprehensive about the history and meaning of Buddhism is hard to find. I was given the 700 page book below. It is excellent. I'm 1/2 way through it. A picture of the cover, then a scan I made of two pages to give an idea of the book's style.

Last edited:

Free

I'm taking your cows
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Earth-90214
I've been slowly reading Ahsoka by E.K. Johnston and it helps that I like the character, because the tale (and writing to a degree) is plodding.

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego, California
The best book I've read recently was 1000 White Women . It was a good story with great characters and I feel like I learned some things.

Rose Karuna

It's cold, Xerdan is wearing a hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 24, 2018
Someplace new soon
Tim Dorsey's "No Sunscreen for the Dead" and totally LMAO. If you love weird stories about Florida and crazy retirees, this is the book for you.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Kaimi Kyomoon

Ysanne

Oct 24, 2018
"Das Universum ist eine beschissene Gegend"
Which translates to: "The Universe is a shitty place"

It's a scientific and humorous approach to common believes about the universe. A perfect form of entertainment for people like me who constantly complain about sound in space movies or have situations like these...

Random Person: Look, a star.
Me: How many times do I have to repeat this... it's not a star, it's a planet! Venus to be precise.

I do not think there is an English version available, though.

Last edited:

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego, California
I'm just starting "Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About The World - And Why Things Are Better Than You Think". It's already cheering me up a little bit.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Myradyl Muse

Mermaid Myradyl Muse
Feb 22, 2019
At Sea in the great Canadian North
Just started Fat for Fuel by Dr. Mercola. So far, I view it as a nutritional outline for healing at the cellular level. Quite fascinating. I've also been working my way through the entire Outlander series of novels. Yes, yes, Canadian mermaid with Scottish heritage here, heh. How can I resist such stories?

Caliandris

Sep 26, 2018
I've started "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron. It's an old book, 25 years old, but the facilitator at the craft class I've been going to recommended it. It's a twelve week course, one chapter a week, in the form of a book. It promises to reconnect artists ( and that covers writers, composers, actors etc) with their true calling. I'd never heard of it, but I'm enjoying it so far.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Seawitch

Oct 7, 2018
Also, she stole her whole idea from Ursula K. LeGuin and her Wizard of Earthsea series. Why does nobody ever bring that up?
Actually if you watch/read Worst Witch you will see a LOT of similarities to the Harry Potter world.....
My kids went wild for Harry Potter and we are a reading family, They tested out each year well beyond reading skills for their age. I read the first
book and went Meh. BUT after watching the first few movies a lot of stuff made more sense and I did read the entire series . The Deadly Hallows
could have been so much better even in the movies it was boring with the 3 just wandering around.
Funny I have never read Earthsea or any of Ursula K LeGuin books.
Sea.

Last edited: