Today I Learned...

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
This is a palmetto bug. We call them that because "giant flying cockroach" tends to put the tourists off visiting. He'll take your cockroach's "attitude" and crap bug and attitude in a gulp.
I'm 65 years old and I still have a crystal clear memory of the first time -- as a child of about 6 years old -- I learned that cockroaches could fly. A huge black wood roach (as we call them in Texas) had crawled out on the floor and I jumped onto a kitchen chair. Then it few up past my head to cling to the wall.

Life immediately divided in to a Before and After. I would never feel safe again.

Roxanne Blue

Una Mujer Fantastica
SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2009
SLU Posts
I'm 65 years old and I still have a crystal clear memory of the first time -- as a child of about 6 years old -- I learned that cockroaches could fly. A huge black wood roach (as we call them in Texas) had crawled out on the floor and I jumped onto a kitchen chair. Then it few up past my head to cling to the wall.

Life immediately divided in to a Before and After. I would never feel safe again.
Never again.

I keep a spare can of Raid in the upstairs bathroom, but Margo hates the smell, so I also keep a Rolling Stone magazine (very nice heft in the current version) nearby for a satisfying WHACK!

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I'm typically not bothered - annoyed, but not bothered - by bugs. But if I had experienced at age six having to watch a crawling cockroach suddenly take flight, I'd be living in a hermetically-sealed bubble made of plastic 3 inches thick.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Just checking in here to say I now close all my boxes this way and it is satisfying.

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Pancake

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
Today I learned . . .
So, I've seen clips of 'Breakfast at Tiffany's', but all of the clips were of Audrey Hepburn. I've never seen the film, and today I watched the film trailer. And . . . that young dude who is the male lead look so . . . whoa, that's that guy from the A-Team! Whereupon I learned that Hannibal Smith had also been in romances in the male lead role.

And no, A-Team is not the only thing I know George Peppard from. I'd even seen things when he was young (The Blue Max - only five years after Breakfast at Tiffany's, but I recognize him more in that than when I saw him in the trailer for Tiffany's (where I recognized him, at first, because of his voice)).

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Today I learned...about agnotology.

In 2004, Londa Schiebinger gave a more precise definition of agnotology in a paper on 18th-century voyages of scientific discovery and gender relations, and contrasted it with epistemology, the theory of knowledge, saying that the latter questions how we know while the former questions why we do not know: "Ignorance is often not merely the absence of knowledge but an outcome of cultural and political struggle"
Ironically, I now have new doubts.

First, "why we do not know" probably should be changed to "how we do not know", i.e., what is the mechanism that creates our ignorance. Being born would be a primary mechnism. Since ignorance seems to be the default state, the idea of agnotology must be to analyze statements of the sort: if X, then we would know, but not X. People then try to describe how not X is perpetuated thereby maintaining ignorance. Hmm ... have to account for "not X and we do know" in there. In fact, that might be the most important thing.

Agnotology then is the study of the maintenance of ignorance. It seems to boil down to there being lots of special interests that want to keep certain things unnoticed or obfuscated and we want to find ways around them (or prevent ways around it :unsure:). Who'da thunk it?

So maybe I haven't learned anything today. Seems to me the academics are busy obfuscating themselves. They thereby justify their employment. I wrote a master's thesis related to that general issue a long time ago. Not a career move.