The Russia-Ukraine War has begun

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
I feel like there was an acknowledgment that Azov has a sometimes troubling past with the nationislism, but also sounds like they are willing to die to keep this from spreading west, and try and defend their people - And you know, even if I wouldn't agree with their politics [I don't know enough to say], they are brave.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I feel like there was an acknowledgment that Azov has a sometimes troubling past with the nationislism, but also sounds like they are willing to die to keep this from spreading west, and try and defend their people - And you know, even if I wouldn't agree with their politics [I don't know enough to say], they are brave.
I've posted this before in the thread but, for what it's worth, the BBC's Ross Atkins says they've changed a lot since they ceased to be an independent militia and were adopted into the Ukrainian national guard

 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,891
SL Rez
2007
I feel like there was an acknowledgment that Azov has a sometimes troubling past with the nationislism, but also sounds like they are willing to die to keep this from spreading west, and try and defend their people - And you know, even if I wouldn't agree with their politics [I don't know enough to say], they are brave.
I agree. The downside to ultra nationalists is they may be willing to fight for their country when it wasn't necessary at all. But the upside to them is they are often willing to fight when it IS necessary. And it's not like Putin is any less of an ultra nationalist than anyone in Ukraine.
 

Bartholomew Gallacher

Administrator
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
7,090
SL Rez
2002
Jill Biden has made a surprise visit to Ukraine, and met the wife of its president, Olena Zelenska. It's being suspected that Joe Biden is unable to visit Ukraine at the moment due to security restrictions.

 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I agree. The downside to ultra nationalists is they may be willing to fight for their country when it wasn't necessary at all. But the upside to them is they are often willing to fight when it IS necessary. And it's not like Putin is any less of an ultra nationalist than anyone in Ukraine.
 

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
1,616
Location
North of Surf City
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
27.05.2009
SLU Posts
5294
The Ukrainians are rebuilding as fast as they can. It seems that Putin has miscalculated far more than the tactics of his war against Ukrainians. He is putting them through a fire that will harden them more than ever into the nation they have envisioned. Had he merely let things remain peaceful between Russia and Ukraine, both would have integrated in a very natural way. The only way Putin can win this war now is to pulverize Ukraine, which he is trying to do centimeter by centimeter.
 

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
I don't think the Russian pilots have trained the parade and air show routines lately.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Soen Eber

danielravennest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,708
SLU Posts
9073
I feel like there was an acknowledgment that Azov has a sometimes troubling past with the nationislism, but also sounds like they are willing to die to keep this from spreading west, and try and defend their people - And you know, even if I wouldn't agree with their politics [I don't know enough to say], they are brave.
What they are doing is keeping part of the Russian forces occupied trying to break into the plant, which means they can't attack less fortified places. Strategically it has been a great move.

This plant used to produce millions of tons of steel a year. So by its nature it is very heavily built. It likely had lots of steel inventory sitting around when the Russians invaded. So it would not have been hard to set up barriers, making it hard for invaders to get in, or add protection to the existing tunnels and bunkers.
 
  • 1Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin and Govi

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
What they are doing is keeping part of the Russian forces occupied trying to break into the plant, which means they can't attack less fortified places. Strategically it has been a great move.

This plant used to produce millions of tons of steel a year. So by its nature it is very heavily built. It likely had lots of steel inventory sitting around when the Russians invaded. So it would not have been hard to set up barriers, making it hard for invaders to get in, or add protection to the existing tunnels and bunkers.
Oh, no, I get that. I mean, from a gamer geek pov, letting the Russians venture into the tunnels makes it easier to take them out - I was talking about the talking points, and the fact they are holding their ground to try and protect their home and the civilians.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Free

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
What they are doing is keeping part of the Russian forces occupied trying to break into the plant, which means they can't attack less fortified places. Strategically it has been a great move.

This plant used to produce millions of tons of steel a year. So by its nature it is very heavily built. It likely had lots of steel inventory sitting around when the Russians invaded. So it would not have been hard to set up barriers, making it hard for invaders to get in, or add protection to the existing tunnels and bunkers.
I think I remember reading that the site houses a complex of nuclear bunkers, dating from the Soviet era (and constructed with the battle for the Stalingrad iron and steel plant in recent memory), so it's going to be close to impregnable.