WTF Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Zaida Gearbox

He's thought to be Britain's most prolific rapist ever.
Not to be a bitch or anything (although I know I excel at it) but haven't these date rape drugs been used on women for decades now? But, they're all interested in regulating them now that they've been used to rape a bunch of men? Don't get me wrong. I'm all for regulating those drugs. I just think it's fucked up that it took a bunch of men getting raped for anyone to think that might be a good idea.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Kaimi Kyomoon

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
They are regulated, for example Roofies are Class IV in the US. Which is pretty weaksauce regulation, I must admit. I've had Class II drugs prescribed for me.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Not to be a bitch or anything (although I know I excel at it) but haven't these date rape drugs been used on women for decades now? But, they're all interested in regulating them now that they've been used to rape a bunch of men? Don't get me wrong. I'm all for regulating those drugs. I just think it's fucked up that it took a bunch of men getting raped for anyone to think that might be a good idea.
GHB has been classified as a dangerous drug for years now in the UK, though it is available on prescription, apparently, since it does have legitimate medical uses.

Priti Patel has asked her independent advisors to review the restrictions on the drug to see if they are adequate but that doesn't mean they'll likely to recommend they need either tightening or relaxing, not least because the penalties for using it to rape someone are always going to be considerably tougher than using it for recreational purposes.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
What about ketamine and rohypnol?
Also regulated under the Dangerous Drugs Act, and illegal to possess without a prescription.

Similarly to GHB, though, the penalties for rape or for unlawfully administering a drug to someone without permission are always going to be considerably steeper, by several degrees of magnitude, than are those for simple possession.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Zaida Gearbox

Zaida Gearbox

Also regulated under the Dangerous Drugs Act, and illegal to possess without a prescription.

Similarly to GHB, though, the penalties for rape or for unlawfully administering a drug to someone without permission are always going to be considerably steeper, by several degrees of magnitude, than are those for simple possession.
Well that makes me feel somewhat better. Here in the US between working in a prison, and seeing what they were convicted of, being a victim advocate - I've never seen or heard of anyone being prosecuted for using a date rape drug. As a matter of fact, in the instances I knew of where a date rape drug was definitely used - no charges at all were filed since the victim couldn't say for sure what had happened.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Well that makes me feel somewhat better. Here in the US between working in a prison, and seeing what they were convicted of, being a victim advocate - I've never seen or heard of anyone being prosecuted for using a date rape drug. As a matter of fact, in the instances I knew of where a date rape drug was definitely used - no charges at all were filed since the victim couldn't say for sure what had happened.
Drugs like rohypnol and GHB certainly make rape cases more difficult to prosecute because, quite frequently, the complainant can't remember what happened, but if the prosecution can persuade the jury to the criminal standard that the defendant knew, or should have known, the complainant was incapable of consenting -- which shouldn't detain the jury too long if the prosecution can persuade the jury that the defendant spiked the complainant's drinks -- and that penetration (or attempted penetration) took place, then it's rape or attempted rape.

Furthermore, spiking someone's drink is a serious criminal offence here, anyway, regardless of the motive or anything else the defendant may do after the drugs have taken effect.

Nevertheless, drink spiking certainly does seem to be badly under-reported, though:

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Holy something

It starts off and you're like "what a weirdo" but then it just keeps getting worse.
Let's hope that is just some attention seeking creepypasta. If it ain't she should habe called the cops. We can nowadays quickly tell which animal meat comes from, hurray for genetic testing (with more expensive isotope testing we can even find out where whe food your meat was eating came from).

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I hold doors open for everyone, as a courtesy, especially if their hands are full.
I open doors for everyone who arrives at a door just behind me. For years men were surprised and always thanked me. Women acted a if I were invisible. I have never figured that out. Things have changed.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Let's hope that is just some attention seeking creepypasta. If it ain't she should habe called the cops. We can nowadays quickly tell which animal meat comes from, hurray for genetic testing (with more expensive isotope testing we can even find out where whe food your meat was eating came from).
It did sound a bit like it was adapted from The Freshman , except the movie was funny.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I suspect but don't know that most date rape drugs are illegal. Poking around the web though, GHB, which this story is about is both a Schedule 1 and 3 illegal substance in the US. It is legal as a cleaning product in the UK but is illegal to consume which is a huge loophole they are thinking of changing.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I suspect but don't know that most date rape drugs are illegal. Poking around the web though, GHB, which this story is about is both a Schedule 1 and 3 illegal substance in the US. It is legal as a cleaning product in the UK but is illegal to consume which is a huge loophole they are thinking of changing.
No, GHB is illegal in the UK. It's only classified as a class C drug, though, illegal to possess or supply without a prescription but in the lowest category of banned drug.

GBL, a very similar substance, is sold as a cleaning product, but it's still unlawful to possess or supply without an appropriate business permit:

GHB, GBL and 1,4-BD are all Class C drugs under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971. It is against the law to possess them or to sell them for human ingestion.
GHB was brought under the Misuse of Drugs Act as a Class C drug in 2003. Over time, it became apparent that dealers and users were switching to GBL and 1,4-BD as legal alternatives to GHB, so in 2009, GBL and 1,4-BD were also brought under the control of the Misuse of Drugs Act.

GBL and 1,4-BD both have legitimate industrial uses and are still available for these purposes to people with appropriate business registration. However, if someone sells or supplies them, either knowing or suspecting that they will be swallowed and ingested, then they are committing an offence.

Penalties for possession are up to 2 years in prison and/or an unlimited fine. Supply holds penalties of up to 14 years in prison and/or an unlimited fine.

I'm very sceptical about increasing the penalties for simple possession of these drugs -- widely used for recreational purposes -- since I remain to be convinced that increased penalties for possessing illegal drugs of any sort have any particular deterrent effect, and because, as I keep saying, spiking someone's drink is a considerably more serious offence than simple possession, and committing rape or any other crime after the person is thus involuntarily incapacitated is far more serious still.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Visitors to the former concentration camp Bergen-Belsen are increasingly interrupting tour guides to voice revisionist theories of history, insisting that the death toll was exaggerated or the Allies were partly to blame.

Jens-Christian Wagner, director of the Lower Saxony Memorials Foundation, said that guides had registered a significant rise in heckling in the past few years. He blamed growing right-wing populism and said that leading members of the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party had lowered the threshold of what was socially acceptable to say.