WTF Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
It is funny how everyone blames the AfD, especially when done by the CSU, which itself took up many of the AfD demands on immgration and culture and made them socially acceptable, ...

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

danielravennest

SLU Posts
It's not like he hid his actions. He even wrote a book about it. Those of us who frequented the science fiction conventions in New York (where he lived) knew all about it. Considering he's been dead for nearly 30 years, it's a bit late to get worked up over it. T'would be better to concentrate our efforts on the still-living creeps.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Some of us weren't born then and aren't the type to go to conventions.

Getting ''worked up'' about a dead guy may seem silly to some, but I won't just get over the misogynist milieu and time it happened in, nor all the people that knew and shrugged and/or laughed about it. Especially since the guy in question was born in a country that (in the present) voted in a pussy grabber as president .

I am able to ''concentrate my efforts'' on both living-creeps and dead ones. AND bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan... :hamster:

Those who cannot remember the past yadda yadda yadda.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Especially since the guy in question was born in a country that (in the present) voted in a pussy grabber as president .
Asimov was born in Russia, in 1920. Like many other people in New York City, he was an immigrant.

My question for you is whether his character was out of step with his time, or were most men back then racist and sexist assholes? I grew up a generation later than him, and we studied at the same school (Columbia), but in his generation they didn't admit Italians and Jews, so he was shuffled off to a separate school that Columbia ran. In my generation, they still didn't admit women, who were also shuffled off to a separate school.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
It was (and still is) a sexist and racist society. That doesn't make it more palatable for me. Most men (then and now) were/are quite capable of not grabbing a woman's breast as a joke. Doing that was never thought of as being a normal way of acting. There just were less or no consequences. In any case, I simply dislike brushing off bad behaviour just because there weren't any consequences then for those who crossed the line.

My father was born in 1928 and never would it have crossed his mind to grab a woman's body in that way. And as a woman who's been grabbed at and poked at, etc. I think I will be the one to decide when I should get worked up about shit like that. You and all your contemporaries may have known al about it, but not me.

And now I do, and yes, it grosses me out and I wish I didn't know.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Asimov was born in Russia, in 1920. Like many other people in New York City, he was an immigrant.

My question for you is whether his character was out of step with his time, or were most men back then racist and sexist assholes? I grew up a generation later than him, and we studied at the same school (Columbia), but in his generation they didn't admit Italians and Jews, so he was shuffled off to a separate school that Columbia ran. In my generation, they still didn't admit women, who were also shuffled off to a separate school.
I don't know about Russian immigrants to NYC, of course, but that makes him about 10 years younger than my father and, while my father and many men of his generation who I recall would by contemporary standards seem "racist and sexist assholes," none of them behaved anything like that, and would have had nothing but contempt for anyone who did.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
A good example of why I have long been skeptical about calls to increase criminal sentences as a deterrent for particular types of criminal behaviour:

Calls for this have been loud in Germany as well however I think it is unconstitutional.

Let us construct a hypothetical case where you have the choice of attacking a double penalty person on duty vs. a child - lets say for whatever legit reason I cannot think about right now you have to choose and cannot avoid it. In that case the law requires you to take the least harmfull action - which is defined as the one with least penalty. Congratulations, we just valued the live of one person over another - something the German Grundgesetz does not allow.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Prosecutors will go for the charge with the higher penalty. So that raises the question of heather actual assaults on first responders have doubled, or if it is because that charge is now longer than a simple assault, so it gets used more.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Prosecutors will go for the charge with the higher penalty. So that raises the question of heather actual assaults on first responders have doubled, or if it is because that charge is now longer than a simple assault, so it gets used more.
It might also be that, along with the higher penalty, the authorities also declared a "zero tolerance" policy for this particular category of crime and now prosecute even comparatively trivial incidents (pushing and shoving, for example).