WTF Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Chivalry was basically high school locker room bullies with deadly weapons. It also sucked for the horses it was named after. Can you name a single horse from that era other than Rocinante, who was fictional and in a parody of the whole schtick?

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Babieca? Veillantif? (Also fictional, of course).

(I had to Google them but I remembered that both El Cid and Roland had famous horses, even though I'd forgotten their names).

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Chivalry was a literary genre, though, wasn't it, rather than how anyone actually behaved in real life, other than, perhaps, as part of formal game at court?

ETA
our belief that chivalry was a firmly controlling code of conduct, or even as prohibitive as a set of laws, is entirely anachronistic. This fallacy came about with the "re-discovery" of chivalry in the Victorian Era when the idea was embraced by an increasingly politically marginalized aristocracy and authors who wanted to spin creative tales of pageantry and adventure. As such, our impression that knights roamed the countryside in highly stylized accoutrements battling evil and selflessly saving those in need is the product of art or literature generated long after chivalry ceased to be a factor on the battlefield.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Isabeau

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Historians tend to look at laws and codes (chivalry, bushido, etc) as guides to what people were not doing. If everybody is running around acting all noble and shit, you don't need to write long-ass poems exhorting knights to run around and be noble.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Historians tend to look at laws and codes (chivalry, bushido, etc) as guides to what people were not doing. If everybody is running around acting all noble and shit, you don't need to write long-ass poems exhorting knights to run around and be noble.
Given what I know of my country's history, I am struggling to think of when all these chivalric chaps were clanking around righting wrongs.

The Anglo-Normans were a pretty vile bunch. Well, most medieval monarchs, really -- sort of went with the job.

When the traitors saw that Stephen was a good-humoured, kindly, and easy-going man who inflicted no punishment, then they committed all manner of horrible crimes…For every great man built him castles and held them against the king; and they filled the whole land with these castles. They sorely burdened the unhappy people of the country with forced labour on the castles; and when the castles were built, they filled them up with devils and wicked men. By night and by day they seized those whom they believed to have any wealth, whether they were men or women; and in order to get their gold and silver, they put them into prison and tortured them with unspeakable tortures
[....]
And men said openly that Christ and His saints slept.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Chivalry was basically high school locker room bullies with deadly weapons. It also sucked for the horses it was named after. Can you name a single horse from that era other than Rocinante, who was fictional and in a parody of the whole schtick?
Cheval is horse in French. Chevalier then was horseman, particularly someone who fought on horseback. They were the upper class of soldiers, because most people couldn't afford a horse, and the armor for themselves and their horse. The equivalent in English is "knight".

"Chivalry" as a cultural movement began with women like Eleanor of Aquitaine, and stories told by the troubadours of France. It was intended to make those knights behave, because they *were* locker room bullies who thought nothing of kidnapping and raping women. It gave them rules to follow in order to be "acceptable" to enter tournaments or hang around court. The lure for the knights were seriously valuable prizes in the tournaments, grants of land from the higher nobility, and meeting and marrying wealthy heiresses.

The customs of respect and courtesy to others were passed down almost to the present day as "behaving like a lady or gentleman should". From the 1200s to today, a large portion of society never followed these customs.

• 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Rose Karuna and WolfEyes

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Joined SLU
March 2009
SLU Posts
This assignment of chivalry rules for students reminds me very much of my son's high school when he was there over twenty years ago. Each football player was assigned one or two girls in the class who had to "help & inspire" the players. Each day they were to write little notes cheering on the boys & telling them how wonderful they were. The girls also were to bake cookies, cupcakes & other goodies for the boys as treats. The girls assigned to them were also supposed to carry their books to class & do other helpful things that the boys asked them to do. There was never a word on what the boys were supposed to do other than play football. The girls didn't seem to have a problem with it since they were used to seeing their moms do similar things for their fathers & the rest of the family. I'm sure it helped get more boys turning out for football. I don't remember if this was done for boys in other sports there but it was one of those schools where football was the main sport both for the school & the rest of the small town. If you went to social functions at the school or in town you couldn't help but notice that most of the women congregated together on a different side of the room from the men. The women waited on the men & were quiet when the men talked - which was most of the time. When I first moved to the area in 1979 & saw all this I was shocked & felt like I'd entered a time machine back to the 1950's.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Bauman was recorded discussing the scheme, according to a press release from the Camden County prosecutor’s office. She was given multiple opportunities to change her mind when asked by a witness-turned-informant if she was sure she wanted to carry out the killing, prosecutors said, but she moved ahead with it, at one point acknowledging that she was a Christian but noting she could always ask for forgiveness later.
A moment's thought should have told her that, if he was willing to accept $1,500, if he wasn't a police informer already, he certainly would be after he inevitably got himself arrested and started trying to make deals.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
More chivalry.

Pastor Stewart-Allen Clark of Missouri's Malden First General Baptist Church said in his Sunday sermon that women should look to maintain their figures and lose weight in order to keep their husband's attention. He also used a photo of former first Lady Melania Trump as an example of what women should aspire to.

"Now look, I'm not saying every woman can be the epic, epic trophy wife of all time like Melania Trump. I'm not saying that at all," Clark said as a photo of Trump was displayed on screen. "Most women can't be trophy wives, but you know, maybe you're a participation trophy. I don't know, but all I can say is not everybody looks like that. Amen! Not everybody looks like that. But you don't need to look like a butch either."

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
And he's wearing a Wonder Woman t shirt. Oh, the irony.
If Wonder Woman were real, she'd kick his ass.
I'd be willing to see a woman wearing a Wonder Woman t-shirt kick his ass.

Hell, I'd settle for an ugly dude in an "I'm With Stupid" t-shirt, so long as the ass-whuppin' is in there somewhere.