WTF Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Free

Nasty Hugs
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The Trump administration has secretly siphoned nearly $4 million away from a program that tracks and treats FDNY firefighters and medics suffering from 9/11 related illnesses, the Daily News has learned.

The Treasury Department mysteriously started withholding parts of payments — nearly four years ago — meant to cover medical services for firefighters, emergency medical technicians and paramedics treated by the FDNY World Trade Center Health Program, documents obtained by The News reveal.

The payments were authorized and made by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, which oversees the program. But instead of sending the funds to the city, the Treasury started keeping some of the money.

Free

Nasty Hugs
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The clitoris radiates vitamins to the fetus during gestation, as we all know.
No wonder doctors say you should stimulate the clitoris with multi-vitamin tablets.

(Doctors don't really say this. But imagine how the heads of the alt-right and religious conservatives would pop off their necks if they did!)

Sovereignty

SL Rez
No wonder doctors say you should stimulate the clitoris with multi-vitamin tablets.

(Doctors don't really say this. But imagine how the heads of the alt-right and religious conservatives would pop off their necks if they did!)
At least it's not bleach.

• 1Scared
Reactions: Tirellia

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
If he survived I'd sue hell out of his inurance to get the bill for the police operation back in (and please don't tell me that in the motherland of capitalism police can't bill you for operations you cause).

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
If he survived I'd sue hell out of his inurance to get the bill for the police operation back in (and please don't tell me that in the motherland of capitalism police can't bill you for operations you cause).
More here

Including this

Some of the misinformation that seeped like smoke across Molalla appears to have begun when two independent videographers, Gabriel Trumbly and his partner, Jennifer Paulsen, arrived outside town at about 9 p.m. on Wednesday to capture images of the immense wildfires.
They put on press vests and gas masks that they have used while shooting video of recent protests in Portland, then walked along the rural road near where Ms. Paulsen had grown up. Mr. Trumbly said one resident was out spraying down property with water and another offered them something to drink.
They got some footage and photos of the flames before deciding to turn back, concerned about the size of the fire and the possibility that power lines could fall in the winds.
But as they returned into cellphone range, Ms. Paulsen went on to Facebook and Twitter looking for fire updates and came across a social media post that was clearly about them, describing their gas masks and vests and suggesting they had gone up the road to start a fire. The person reported trying to follow their Volkswagen sedan.
One person replied: “Are you kidding me shoot em.”
Mr. Trumbly said he pulled off to the side of the road and called the police to explain what he was seeing on social media and what they had been doing south of town. He offered to show the footage of what he captured. The couple was afraid that armed vigilantes might pursue them.
“They think I just burned their houses down and they have guns, and they are angry, and they are scared,” Mr. Trumbly said.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
When I was little and lived in San Antonio, I remember seeing on the news that the city fire department was billing motorists who drove around barricades into high water during flash flooding events for the cost of the rescues.

Jopsy Pendragon

That's it. F*CK 2020 with a rusty screwdriver.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Saw this today... and .. *sigh* People just don't get it.

This is a complicated issue.

Take the real example of my former neighbor. His life was basically destroyed because child protective services found out he was 'friends' with a 17 year old homeless drug-dealer & hustler. He provided food, clothes, a place to stay... and, of course, there were strings attached. Strings that the minor willingly participated in rather than return to his abusive foster situation.

Because they were of the same sex, the law gave the judge no leeway. My neighbor who, honestly, was about as predatory as a stuffed animal, had to go on the sex offender registry and spend a year in prison. He clearly had PTSD afterwards, and every few weeks I'd see him with a new set of bruises that he said were given to him by off-duty police officers who knew who he was. He lasted a year or so and then gave up and moved away. Or was killed, I don't know.

If he and the minor had been of opposite sex, the judge -could-have- decided that my ex-neighbor didn't need to go on the sex offender registry. But the wording of the law only allowed that exception when 'vaginal penetration' was involved. Which makes zero sense to me given the risk of pregnancy, if there's inequity in the law it should be harsher towards those that might get minors pregnant, not more lenient.

Let me be clear, sex with minors is wrong, should never happen. But it does. There must be a strong legal deterrent but it also must be fair. Laws that effectively punish LGBTQ+ people -more- for the exact same crime as 'straight' pedophiles are unjust. And THAT'S what this bill was attempting to address.

Free

Nasty Hugs
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Several legal advocacy groups on Monday filed a whistleblower complaint on behalf of a nurse at an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detention center documenting “jarring medical neglect” within the facility, including a refusal to test detainees for the novel coronavirus and an exorbitant rate of hysterectomies being performed on immigrant women.

The nurse, Dawn Wooten, was employed at the Irwin County Detention Center (ICDC) in Georgia, which is operated by LaSalle Corrections, a private prison company. The complaint was filed with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) by advocacy groups Project South, Georgia Detention Watch, Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights, and South Georgia Immigrant Support Network.

Multiple women came forward to tell Project South about what they perceived to be the inordinate rate at which women in ICDC were subjected to hysterectomies – a surgical operation in which all or part of the uterus is removed. Additionally, many of the immigrant women who underwent the procedure were reportedly “confused” when asked to explain why they had the surgery, with one detainee likening their treatment to prisoners in concentration camps.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I hope the names of those involved will get published - I bet they are stupid enough to go abroad. The US used to threaten The Hague in the past but let's face it: under your current administration anyone on trial there will just be considered a looser for getting caught...