SCOTUS set to overturn Roe and Casey

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
A close friend of mine works at a Texas university and teaches many medical students. During one of our phone calls recently, she mentioned that not one of her students is staying in Texas for their internship. They are all accepting jobs out-of-state. No big surprise, and the effect is going to be felt soon.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
A close friend of mine works at a Texas university and teaches many medical students. During one of our phone calls recently, she mentioned that not one of her students is staying in Texas for their internship. They are all accepting jobs out-of-state. No big surprise, and the effect is going to be felt soon.
Certainly access to abortion has been an important consideration for the daughter of a friend of mine in Ohio, as she has considered her college options, despite the costs of out-of-state tuition. She doesn't plan to study medicine, and neither does she intend to become pregnant, but both she and her mother wanted to be sure that, should she need one, access to abortion wouldn't be an issue while she's at university. It will also be a consideration after she graduates and embarks on a career.

I would imagine this wider effect is going to become extremely apparent several years hence, as more and more people take into account abortion rights for themselves and their families as they reach decisions about relocation for both study and employment. Similarly, it will likely become an issue for businesses as, when they plan to open new offices and production facilities, they consider how states' attitudes to abortion are likely to affect their ability to attract and retain skilled staff.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
OSU is looking at damage to the Medical Center standards of care, possible loss of accreditation of some or all of the medical programs, and losing good medical staff. Now the Ohio Legislature is pushing their own "anti-Woke" higher education bill that threatens to limit teaching and once again endanger University accreditation both in general and for a number of specific programs (yes, the American Society for Engineering Education has criteria for diversity and inclusion for recognized programs). I am putting together a portfolio to start looking at jobs back in the Pacific Northwest (difficult because I am teaching so far outside of my field that you need a roadmap to get there) in the next few years. Possibly looking at High School instead to bail out of the burning wreckage of what was once a flagship University.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
OSU is looking at damage to the Medical Center standards of care, possible loss of accreditation of some or all of the medical programs, and losing good medical staff. Now the Ohio Legislature is pushing their own "anti-Woke" higher education bill that threatens to limit teaching and once again endanger University accreditation both in general and for a number of specific programs (yes, the American Society for Engineering Education has criteria for diversity and inclusion for recognized programs). I am putting together a portfolio to start looking at jobs back in the Pacific Northwest (difficult because I am teaching so far outside of my field that you need a roadmap to get there) in the next few years. Possibly looking at High School instead to bail out of the burning wreckage of what was once a flagship University.
Leaving America entirely is also an option.

• 1Meh
  • 1Sad
Reactions: Cindy Claveau and Govi

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Even if the Religious Freedom law was intended by Mike Pence to discriminate against people, we thought: ‘Let’s use this for good instead,’” said Amalia Shifriss, a leader of Hoosier Jews for Choice, one of the Indiana plaintiffs. “It brings me joy to think how much this must upset him.”
💗

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I got this far:

And they’re torturing women, too. Here’s what it means to be forced to carry a wanted but can’t-be pregnancy to term:

and ran into a paywall. :facepalm:
This post is for paid subscribers
Subscribe
Already a paid subscriber? Sign in
Previous

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Sicily is on fire.

Storms and wildfires kill seven in Italy as extreme weather continues
Seven people have died in the past 24 hours as two extreme weather events split Italy between wildfires in the south and violent storms in the north.

Fires in Sicily caused the temporary closure of Palermo airport after temperatures in the city climbed to 47C on Monday.

An 88-year-old woman was reported to have died on Tuesday in San Martino delle Scale, a few miles from the Sicilian capital, after disruption caused by the fires prevented emergency services from reaching her in time. In the afternoon, the bodies of two people, aged around 75 and 77, were found in a house hit by a wildfire in Cinisi, near the airport.

EDIT: Meant to post this in the Nobody Cares PRS thread. Not sure how I ended up here...

Last edited:

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
DeWine has spent years restricting reproductive care, including the 6 week ban. Amd the current legislature is worse. There is no offer on the table. Polls show the reproductive freedom amendment is likely to get 56-57% in November, which is why they pushed a 60% threshold.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
DeWine can walk naked through a desert and hug every cactus he comes across.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Govi and Soen Eber

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Compromise AFTER you guys lose big on Issue 1. Uh, sure. Compromise...

The direct language of the amendment states, "Every individual has a right to make and carry out one's own reproductive decisions, including but not limited to decisions on contraception, fertility treatment, continuing one's own pregnancy, miscarriage care and abortion." It adds that the state can't prohibit, interfere or penalize anyone for exercising this right.
I would have a problem with that wording, I think, because I'd want to ensure that all medicines and drugs used for these various purposes were approved by the FDA, and that they were prescribed and dispensed by, and all surgical procedures performed by, licenced medical practioners in good standing, and "Every individual has a right to make and carry out one's own reproductive decisions" would seem to prevent this.

I understand the motivation behind the wording, since US legislators in some states have used regulation to hinder access to abortion and contraception, but I'm really not sure deregulation is the answer, for exactly the same reason I wouldn't want to give everyone the right to make and carry out their own decisions about any other medical treatment or procedure, without the state being able to interfere by insisting on licencing medical practioners and not authorising drugs without proper clinical trials.

I'm also very dubious indeed about the likely consequences of deregulating human fertility treatment, which seems a separate issue from access to abortion and contraception. Certainly here in the UK I don't think I've every heard of anyone wanting to abolish the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority -- that seems an idea likely to appeal only to teenage libertarians.