Police Brutality Protests Thread

Zaida Gearbox

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
1,379
There's a million more like him, is the problem.

The problem is institutional and cultural in nature.

But, it'd be a start....

I've been thinking that there's some kind of irony here that this happened at the same time that people have their panties in a twist over the pending release of Vincent Martin in Virginia who killed a cop in the late 70s. Even though Martin has not only been a model prisoner, done all he could to better himself, and even found ways to be a force for good outside of the prison - they say that killing a cop is so egregious that he should never ever be released. I can see that argument. I really can.

But, what about a cop who blatantly commits murder in broad daylight - not only in front of multiple witnesses - but in front of witnesses who video'd the murder. What does he deserve? We depend on cops to be good guys, so IMHO what this cop did was more egregious than what Vincent Martin did, but even though he's been charged the most he'll get is 25 years - unless the feds hit him with other charges. And I say FUCK THAT. I'm not usually a fan of taking the law into your own hands, but really if the citizens of Minneapolis were to lynch this guy I wouldn't shed one fucking tear for him.

I just don't see how this is 3rd degree murder - he had 8 minutes to think better of what he was doing, and he didn't.
 

Ranma Tardis

Ad Astra per Aspera
Joined
Sep 25, 2018
Messages
93
Location
Socal
SL Rez
2005
Yet in the end these protests/riots will do nothing but hurt these communities. Sure there is insurance but it never pays the full amount and rates are going to soar. So most of these business will never reopen. A lot of them were on the edge before because of covid-19. I read a Post Office was destroyed and it may never reopen. The people of the community will have trouble getting food, banking, mail and other services. This includes prescription drugs.
 

Lexxi

meow
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
1,374
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
6381
You know those posts I posted showing cars and protesters? And how some people have been driving over protesters (not shown in my post)?

Um. Fuck.


And here's a NYPD cop car on fire.
 
Last edited:
  • 1Sad
Reactions: Myradyl Muse

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
On Friday the DC mayor said the police could control things. We are used to protests in DC. Result last night? Fires, graffiti, broken windows, and so on. Yep, we are boned if the city that has the best ability to control stuff like this can not.
 
  • 1Hug
Reactions: Romana

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
Oh, and as expected it is already being nonhelpful on twitter. We need an actual president.
 

Pamela

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,515
Location
Austin
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2009
Astonished, now London is having a George Lloyd protest.

It’s like America belongs to the world.

😢
 
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: bubblesort

bubblesort

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Messages
1,990
You know those posts I posted showing cars and protesters? And how some people have been driving over protesters (not shown in my post)?

Um. Fuck.


And here's a NYPD cop car on fire.
Yeah, they are running down protestors everywhere. Even where I am, in Harrisburg, PA. At this point, police vehicles need to be treated as deadly weapons that need to be eliminated for public safety. That is what molotovs were designed for. It sucks, but burning police cars saves lives. The police caused this issue themselves.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I see from CNN that

National security adviser Robert O'Brien on Sunday denied in an interview on CNN that systemic racism exists across the nation's police forces, arguing instead that "a few bad apples" give the impression of racism among law enforcement officers.
"No, I don't think there's systemic racism. I think 99.9% of our law enforcement officers are great Americans. Many of them are African American, Hispanic, Asian, they're working the toughest neighborhood, they've got the hardest jobs to do in this country and I think they're amazing, great Americans," O'Brien told CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union" when asked if systemic racism was a problem for police agencies.
O'Brien added that there are "some bad apples in there. There are some bad cops who are racist. There are cops that maybe don't have the right straining."
"There is no doubt that there are some racist police, I think they're the minority, I think they're the few bad apples and we need to root them out," he sai

I also see that the Pew Research Center reported last year that

Another way of considering racial and ethnic differences in the nation’s prison population is by looking at the imprisonment rate, which tallies the number of prisoners per 100,000 people. In 2017, there were 1,549 black prisoners for every 100,000 black adults – nearly six times the imprisonment rate for whites (272 per 100,000) and nearly double the rate for Hispanics (823 per 100,000).

It must follow, then, either that black Americans are almost six times as likely to commit serious criminal offences as are white Americans, and they're also twice as likely to commit serious offences as people of Hispanic origin, or that he's talking nonsense.

Can't fix the problem until you admit to it.
 

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
Astonished, now London is having a George Lloyd protest.

It’s like America belongs to the world.

😢
London, Dublin, several places in Germany.
Europe has been fed up for a long time already about the violent way cops in the US handle things. Especially against non whites.
Don't forget that news travels with the speed of light in the last decade.

Berlin:
 
Last edited: