Oct 6, 2018
Probably near London or SF
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 6, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Looks like Opportunity's done - but, as they note downthread, not bad going for a planned 90 day life.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 19, 2018
Gulf Coast, USA
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Airbus has officially announced the end of the A380 jumbo jet, which was first produced only 12 years ago. The decision was made after the largest buyer, Emirates, recently cut its order from 162 to 123. The last few will be built and delivered by 2021.

It is questionable whether any customers who've taken deliveries and been operating the A380 have seen a return on their investment yet given the jet's $400million-plus per-hull list price (although most customers paid less than that due to deals and subsidies); but sadder is that price doesn't even cover the actual production cost of the airplane, so Airbus itself has never made any money whatsoever on the A380. An internal review by Airbus determined that there wasn't enough demand for the A380 to justify continuing producing them at a loss, with most airlines opting for much more economical two-engine widebody jets for their oceanic routes.

It would seem that the age of the "jumbo jet" is over anyway, passenger-wise; Boeing stopped building passenger 747's in 2016. The difference is that Boeing is still making 747 freighters and still has orders for them through the next few years; while Airbus canceled development of the cargo variant of the A380 early on before any were produced, so it has no freighters to sell. Oops.

Tigar

🐯has been known to sip Tabasco from the bottle🐯
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 21, 2018
Mourning Woods
SL Rez
Joined SLU
🌟not on file
SLU Posts
Oct 6, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
How to preserve the sound of exceptional instruments:

Text-Only NPR.org : An Italian Town Fell Silent So The Sounds Of A Stradivarius Could Be Preserved

The Violin Museum, which was already concerned about preserving these sounds for future generations, agreed. It enlisted Lorenzi and four other world-class musicians from Italy and the Netherlands to play four prized instruments for posterity — the 1700 Antonio Stradivari "Stauffer" cello, the 1727 Antonio Stradivari "Vesuvius" violin, a 1615 "Stauffer" viola by Girolamo Amati, and the 1734 "Prince Doria" violin by Guarneri del Gesù.
But their task wouldn't be to record complete compositions. Rather, they would have to painstakingly record every possible note that can be played on each instrument. "Every possible note, and even more difficult, every note transition," explains Tedeschi. "From one note to all the other ones in the same string. It's a very complicated process, so there will be several hundred thousand files to be edited."

In the concert hall, Lorenzi, who is with the Italian Symphony Orchestra and has performed in the world's top concert halls, plucks the notes C, D, E, F, G, A, B and C — "do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti, do" — on the Stradivarius violin. Then down the scale, until the engineers say they've got it. "There's something very meditative about it," he says. "It takes a lot of mental and physical concentration. It's one of the most demanding things I've ever done."

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
Sep 20, 2018
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Sep 21, 2018
SLU Posts
Bricked shoes is my new fave term.

To me, that means putting a brick in a sneaker, so you can knock someone out without drawing blood. Can also be used to take out your frustration on a bricked Nike.

Free

FIGHT FORUM AVATAR OPPRESSION
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Lindalino
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
  • Free

Free

"Whenever I try connecting to my shoes..."

Why is the future so goofy sounding?

Sep 20, 2018
RL: NZ / EVE: 1DQ1-A & Niarja / SL: Jessie
SL Rez
"Whenever I try connecting to my shoes..."

Why is the future so goofy sounding?
I want to know why the future is so goofy.

Smart pants, any ideas when those will come about, and what functions they will have? (Hint: Diety recommendations based on flatulence monitoring)
Can anyone come up with something even goofier?

Sep 20, 2018
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)

Free

FIGHT FORUM AVATAR OPPRESSION
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Lindalino
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
  • Free