Nobody Cares: PRS

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
If any of you see this argument again, the Sun is 500 million times brighter than all the stars in the sky combined. Its entirely negligible.
Not sure how close to another star our solar system would have to pass in order to raise surface temperatures on Earth, but I am pretty sure we would have more serious issues than just heat with the gravitational disturbances throwing off orbits.

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Not sure how close to another star our solar system would have to pass in order to raise surface temperatures on Earth, but I am pretty sure we would have more serious issues than just heat with the gravitational disturbances throwing off orbits.
I don't know about it affecting temperature or orbits, but It certainly seems to affect some people's brains.

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
China due to introduce face scans for mobile users
People in China are now required to have their faces scanned when registering new mobile phone services, as the authorities seek to verify the identities of the country's hundreds of millions of internet users.

The regulation, announced in September, was due to come into effect on Sunday.

The government says it wants to "protect the legitimate rights and interest of citizens in cyberspace".

China already uses facial recognition technology to survey its population.
The technology that frees us can also smother us.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
A class M2 red dwarf is the median star in our galaxy by brightness, at 2% of the Sun's. The Sun is actually in the top 10%. In order to raise the Earth's temperature by 1 degree C, it would need to add 1.34% to total illumination (heat loss to space goes as the 4th power of temperature). Since the light varies with the inverse square of distance, it would need to be 1.22 AU away, or halfway between Earth and Mars' orbits from the Sun.

Nearby stars are in random motion relative to us, and one passes "close" to us approximately every 200,000 years. The odds of a star coming *that* close are one in 16 2/3 billion, so we can expect a close pass every 3,333 trillion years, which is longer than the life of any stars. So pretty much it will never happen. It also explains why the orbits of the planets are not disrupted.

That class of star would be about 42% of the Sun's mass, and passing through would take ~ 3 months from one side of the Earth to the other. That's long enough to definitely disrupt our orbit. How the orbit would change depends on the details of the star's trajectory, but I would say that is a bigger effect than a 1 degree warming that lasts 3 months.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
This chart is misleading.

On the one hand, most social spending is in mandatory spending, not discretionary spending, and so doesn't appear on this chart.

On the other hand, a good deal of mandatory spending is funded from trust funds, like the social security trust fund, and so don't come out of the government budget.

On the gripping hand, Brand R is in the process of trying to steal the trust funds.

We're going to need a bigger chart.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Imagine that.
Don't complain about the source. If you can't parse out when sources you don't like say something true, I am sorry for you.
I will complain about the source and I will do it EACH and EVERY time you or Aeon put it in this forum. The dude is a 9/11 conspiracy theorist alongside pontificating that Vegas might have been a false flag and that Seth Rich may have been murdered by DNC/HRC. That is harmful to the families of those events, so don't give me some nonsense about a broken clock being right.

I'm absolutely certain that you could have found any other source. I've seen the report about this town in multiple *reputable* news reports.

You would think you wouldn't post Jimmy Dore here given that it ended up getting another thread closed. As for being sorry for anyone who objects, fuck that. I'm sorry that you watch a person like that and feel fit to use disreputable sources.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I will complain about the source and I will do it EACH and EVERY time you or Aeon put it in this forum. The dude is a 9/11 conspiracy theorist alongside pontificating that Vegas might have been a false flag and that Seth Rich may have been murdered by DNC/HRC. That is harmful to the families of those events, so don't give me some nonsense about a broken clock being right.

I'm absolutely certain that you could have found any other source. I've seen the report about this town in multiple *reputable* news reports.

You would think you wouldn't post Jimmy Dore here given that it ended up getting another thread closed. As for being sorry for anyone who objects, fuck that. I'm sorry that you watch a person like that and feel fit to use disreputable sources.
From a less contentious source:

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts

I didn't know and nobody said anything for over 140 pages. And in the 140 pages he's been posted more than once. We were still able to have a reasonable discussion regardless of whatever the source was until Regina George showed up to perform. I'm sorry, but if that's the first source I see, I might post it. I have no problem separating out truth from fiction. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. In the year or so that I've been watching YouTube, I have not seen a single thing of anything that you guys are complaining about. I'm not going to bend over backward to dig stuff up. Look at it or don't, the title of this thread is Nobody Cares.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Only Cris knows why he closed the other thread. The only name he used in his closing post was Sal's.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Only Cris knows why he closed the other thread. The only name he used in his closing post was Sal's.
That Jimmy Dore post had nothing to do with the ending fallout of that thread? C'mon, you've carried water long enough, don't you think?

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I didn't know and nobody said anything for over 140 pages. And in the 140 pages he's been posted more than once. We were still able to have a reasonable discussion regardless of whatever the source was until Regina George showed up to perform. I'm sorry, but if that's the first source I see, I might post it. I have no problem separating out truth from fiction. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. In the year or so that I've been watching YouTube, I have not seen a single thing of anything that you guys are complaining about. I'm not going to bend over backward to dig stuff up. Look at it or don't, the title of this thread is Nobody Cares.
Reasonable discussion? That's how you characterize the thread that had to be closed? The thread in which other members chose to leave altogether because it was being bombarded by GOP/Alt-right talking points? That one? The same one in which Jimmy fucking Dore was posted, and just a few pages due to the fallout it was closed?

Regardless, keep using him instead of reputable sources, especially when you add a snarky comment to those you know consider him scum, and I will object each and every time.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Reasonable discussion? That's how you characterize the thread that had to be closed? The thread in which other members chose to leave altogether because it was being bombarded by GOP/Alt-right talking points? That one? The same one in which Jimmy fucking Dore was posted, and just a few pages due to the fallout it was closed?

Regardless, keep using him instead of reputable sources, especially when you add a snarky comment to those you know consider him scum, and I will object each and every time.
I am not getting back into that thread. We have disagreements over what constitutes alt-right talking points and stuff, and I have zero intention or reliving all of that. Look, or don't, and that's all I have to say about it.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Han Held