Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Died

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
1 Timothy 2:12 - NIV said:
I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.
There’s a certain self-sacrifice in being willing to burn in hell for Jesus.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
That's not this ninny's candidate. His boy currently occupies the White House.
In fairness, he only voted in a way that helped Trump get in the White House because he couldn't get what he wanted.

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Did it..... I mean, since when does my liberty hinge on denying liberty to others?

some of these entitled ass people need to just go visit Twitler right now.... maybe go on a car ride or three with him.
There's always been a tradition in US political thought, though, that liberty means absolute licence to do pretty much what I want, including enslaving people, and torturing, raping, and murdering them, and the federal government ain't going to stop me.

That's not just on the far right. For example, Ken White, who runs PopeHat, is very much in favour of free speech, as defined by the First Amendment. I'm very much in favour of free speech, too, as defined in Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

Despite the fact I agree with him on almost everything else, on free speech, he is fiercely supportive of free speech as an absolute right (at least in that the government can't infringe it) while I think it's absolutely right and necessary for government to prohibit hate speech and ban domestic terrorist organisations -- that's because, I'm sure, we come from profoundly different social and intellectual traditions and cultures, European and US, so we have very different ideas about what freedom and liberty mean.

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
There's always been a tradition in US political thought, though, that liberty means absolute licence to do pretty much what I want, including enslaving people, and torturing, raping, and murdering them, and the federal government ain't going to stop me.

That's not just on the far right. For example, Ken White, who runs PopeHat, is very much in favour of free speech, as defined by the First Amendment.
Being in favor of free speech as defined in the U.S. Constitution (however one interprets that) and assuming that some nebulous "liberty" gives one the right to do whatever the hell they want are not exactly the same thing.