an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
the dilemma is: If they show they use the same asshat tactics as the GoP they might loose votes.
How would that work?

I'm trying to imagine the voter who is leaning towards voting for the Dems but then decides not to vote, or to vote for someone else, because the Democrats in the Senate are using procedural tactics to delay the hearing and keep anxious Republican senators who are facing defeat in November stuck in Washington DC rather than out on the campaign trail trying to keep their jobs.

There can't be many people like that, can there?

Aeon Jiminy

the dilemma is: If they show they use the same asshat tactics as the GoP they might loose votes.
I don't mean this disrespectfully, but those days have surely got to be over. If the Democrats would fight for something... anything, they would gain votes. It's really difficult to look back at recent history and point out one time when spinelessness and caution have delivered a victory for Democrats. They tell us that Blue No Matter Who is all about things like The Supreme Court... well here it is. Fight or die. There's really no middle of the road on this.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

Aeon Jiminy

You can always write in your candidate. There's still hope for Bernie!
Bernie seems pointless. I still support his policies, but it doesn't seem like he's supporting them. Sanders = Biden.

I still don't see how rolling over for a 6 to 3 Supreme court is going to do anything for anyone here.

• 1Agree

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Bernie seems pointless. I still support his policies, but it doesn't seem like he's supporting them. Sanders = Biden.

I still don't see how rolling over for a 6 to 3 Supreme court is going to do anything for anyone here.
Well, one downside for the Democrats would be that a lot of their senators are facing re-election, too, and those that aren't would probably want to be out campaigning, too, whether in their home states or for Biden and Harris, or in other elections.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Well, one downside for the Democrats would be that a lot of their senators are facing re-election, too, and those that aren't would probably want to be out campaigning, too, whether in their home states or for Biden and Harris, or in other elections.
So, here is the thing - in 2018, most of the senators running were Dems, and the basic probability was that some of them would lose their seats to a republican [and at least one did because of a combination of then Gov cheating to get a seat, combined with 'progressive' purists voting against the Dem for our state because he wasn't progressive enough - thanks assholes, we ended up with Voldetor Skelemort, are you happy now?]

This go, if I'm not mistaken, the math is actually in the Dems favour - more GOP seats up for grabs and probability says some will go to Dems.

So, short of cheating/outside interference from foreign powers, the Senate is likely to flip. However, considering that they were trying desperately to make getting offered aid from outside nations something they don't have to report... well, I'm a bit nervous that 200+ years of cycles are out the window.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
How would that work?

I'm trying to imagine the voter who is leaning towards voting for the Dems but then decides not to vote, or to vote for someone else, because the Democrats in the Senate are using procedural tactics to delay the hearing and keep anxious Republican senators who are facing defeat in November stuck in Washington DC rather than out on the campaign trail trying to keep their jobs.

There can't be many people like that, can there?
Not fighting reveals the worthlessness of the choice between tribes. If you get the same results with red placeholder or blue placeholder, what difference does it make? now you understand the dilemma of the hundred million people who are the plurality of voters, that is non voters.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Not fighting reveals the worthlessness of the choice between tribes. If you get the same results with red placeholder or blue placeholder, what difference does it make? now you understand the dilemma of the hundred million people who are the plurality of voters, that is non voters.
That same logic applies to the way they fight too though - tactics that could be perceived as "dirty" could backfire because if Dems now employ them too where's the difference between both parties now?

• 1Agree

Aeon Jiminy

That's not this ninny's candidate. His boy currently occupies the White House.
I don't know, I see this Supreme Court seat possibly deciding the election. If the Republicans are able to replace RBG with one of their own, it's going to an unimaginable victory at a very opportune time. Difficult voters just may be inspired to go to the polls if the Democrats can hold this off. It's really the only important issue being floated right now. Nobody is talking policy. The Dems have based their entire existence on getting rid of Trump. It's very difficult to get apathetic voters to go out and support someone who was just handed a crushing blow that will last decades. Like it or not, our worthless Congress has made the Supreme Court that important.

• 1Agree

danielravennest

SLU Posts
well here it is. Fight or die. There's really no middle of the road on this.
This election, the fighting won't be by the politicians in DC. It's the people sending around "how to fight voter intimidation by militia groups" info to community forums, and people bringing chairs to polling places so others can wait in line for 9 hours to vote.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I searched around for some sort of bio on Amy Coney Barrett. I found this. It's all bad.

bubblesort

Is anybody else tired of seeing this headline today? Every news outlet is reporting this as if Trump announced his nominee, but he hasn't, yet. This is still all speculation and rumor. If it's true, I'm surprised Trump let the cat out of the bag before the debate on Tuesday. I expected him to announce an unexpected nominee on the debate stage, to throw Biden off and suck all the air out of the room.

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Is anybody else tired of seeing this headline today? Every news outlet is reporting this as if Trump announced his nominee, but he hasn't, yet. This is still all speculation and rumor. If it's true, I'm surprised Trump let the cat out of the bag before the debate on Tuesday. I expected him to announce an unexpected nominee on the debate stage, to throw Biden off and suck all the air out of the room.

He's said he'll announce his nom on Saturday - something the article notes - but with Trump, he could decide that his golf game shouldn't be interrupted by politics.

bubblesort

Corey Booker has a genius strategy to stop Trump from making a supreme court nomination. He's going to appeal to the republican's sense of decency!

What a surprise move, they'll never see it coming! LOL

Aeon Jiminy

Corey Booker has a genius strategy to stop Trump from making a supreme court nomination. He's going to appeal to the republican's sense of decency!

What a surprise move, they'll never see it coming! LOL

Yes, this is interesting. I've seen more than Booker spilling this talking point. Appealing to the decency of a party that obstructed your choice for a year and who you have spent 4 years painting as treasonous.

What appealing to Republicans sense of decency actually translates to in neoliberal is " we're going to do absolutely nothing about this but gaslight you".

• 1Agree

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
That same logic applies to the way they fight too though - tactics that could be perceived as "dirty" could backfire because if Dems now employ them too where's the difference between both parties now?
Increasingly few. Crying over process is not the same as crying over substance, and on substance the differences are dwindling as well.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aeon Jiminy

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
So, my biggest issue now with his pick is.... how can she even consider herself eligible to BE on the SCOTUS if she doesn't believe women are real people. I mean, if she's an originalist and doesn't even consider that the 14th or 15th amendments are constitutional....

Sorry, I really loathe people like her, and the sheer hypocrisy of women who want to take away the rights of -other- women that by their own words they should not have themselves.

Its like nazis complaining over not having free speech to incite violence.

• 1Agree