#JAILTOTHECHIEF- Shit Just Got Real

Jopsy Pendragon

Moral Compasses get confused at the North Pole.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

PRESIDENT TRUMP, DELETE YOUR BRAIN.
And the right-wing children went dancing around thinking their president deliberately mocked a rich gay guy to his face. "Such nerve, you show'm boss! In yer face! HA!"

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
An interesting observation -- major US fast food companies are keeping very quiet about Individual 1's endorsement of their products, presumably because they fear the effect on their brand image of his endorsement.

In a scene probably worth millions of dollars in free advertising, President Trump displayed a spread of burgers from some of the country’s biggest fast-food chains inside the State Dining Room of the White House on Monday as hungry football players looked on.

With cameras rolling, he offered a presidential endorsement of “all-American” restaurants including McDonald’s, Chick-fil-A and Wendy’s.

“We like American companies, okay?” Trump said, standing before hundreds of Big Macs and chicken sandwiches alongside the North Dakota State football team. “Go eat up. Enjoy yourselves, everybody.”

But the companies haven’t been quick to return the affection or attempt to cash in on the presidential product placement, with McDonald’s, Chick-fil-A and Wendy’s all remaining silent about Trump’s endorsements. When Trump held a similar event in January, Burger King was the only company to reference it on social media — by mocking Trump for misspelling the word hamburger in a tweet.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-silence-is-deafening-major-brands-avoid-trump-as-he-promotes-them-from-the-white-house/2019/03/05/3c83112c-3f60-11e9-922c-64d6b7840b82_story.html?utm_term=.facd88840c4f

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Not according to Snopes:

Despite People‘s comprehensive online content archive, we found no interview or profile on Donald Trump in 1998 (or any other time) that quoted his saying anything that even vaguely resembled the words in this meme. Trump appeared somewhat regularly in the magazine’s pages before he came to star on The Apprentice, but the bulk of the magazine’s celebrity-driven coverage of him back then centered on his marriages to, and divorces from, Ivana Trump and Marla Maples.
FACT CHECK: Did Donald Trump Say Republicans Are the "Dumbest Group of Voters"?

Sorry.

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
I fervently hope there will be a way to undo the Trumpian judiciary appointments.
I'm afraid not. The damage is done. Worse, even if Trump is successfully impeached tomorrow and Pence goes with him, the problem will continue to worsen for years, depending on how long Trump's appointees live. I don't know of any easy way to fix this.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I'm afraid not. The damage is done. Worse, even if Trump is successfully impeached tomorrow and Pence goes with him, the problem will continue to worsen for years, depending on how long Trump's appointees live. I don't know of any easy way to fix this.
Increasing the number of justices on the Court is a one potential mitigation.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I know there's still more sentencing to come, but this is ridiculous. The sentencing guidelines were for 19-24 years. That is some serious old rich white man privilege.
To be fair, in most jurisdictions four years would be regarded as a significant sentence, particularly for a defendant with no previous convictions who is almost 70 (though, at least in the UK, his age wouldn't provide much mitigation) .

It's only in the USA, where sentences are vastly excessive by most other countries' standards, that it seems lenient. To receive from a British judge the nineteen years suggested by the prosecution you'd have to do something really pretty dreadful -- it's longer than many murderers serve (and our sentences are considered severe by most people's standards).

Perhaps the judge didn't want to pre-empt the sentencing in the Washington DC case later this month, where Judge Berman Jackson will presumably have the option of imposing a consecutive sentence on top of the four years.

If he'd given Manafort the nineteen-odd years the prosecution requested, it wouldn't make much practical difference if she gives him ten years or six months for the crimes for which she must sentence him, or if she makes the sentence she imposes consecutive or concurrent.

In the UK, if the prosecution think the judge departed from the sentencing guidelines without good reason, they can appeal to have the sentence increased, just as the defence can appeal against sentences that they think are too severe. I take it that's not an option in the US federal courts.

Certainly reading comments on the sentence on Twitter yesterday, where people were comparing it with what people are given for selling comparatively small quantities of weed, I agreed on the discrepancy but thought that they should be outraged not so much about Manafort's sentence but about what other people are given for lesser crimes.