#JAILTOTHECHIEF- Shit Just Got Real

Status
Not open for further replies.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Evernote link because paywall

White House officials insist they didn’t plan to emblazon the president’s name on the cards, which they envisioned sending to tens of millions of Americans to use for prescriptions. Mr. Trump, of course, has a long history of branding everything from skyscrapers to stimulus checks.

Regardless, one drug company executive said they worried about the optics of having the chief executives of the country’s leading pharmaceutical makers stand with the president in the Rose Garden as he hoisted an oversized card and gloated about helping a crucial bloc of voters.

Sovereignty

SL Rez
After they lost they all will be gone. Just believe me, no one ever was at any time agreeing with the Nazi party over here in Germany post 1945...
I see the negative emojis you received. Far-right politics in Germany (1945–present) might be helpful.
The far-right in Germany quickly re-organised itself after the fall of Nazi Germany and the dissolution of the Nazi Party in 1945. Denazification was carried out in Germany from 1945–1951 by the Allied forces of World War II, with an attempt of eliminating Nazism from the country. However, various far-right parties emerged post-war, with varying success.
In 2011, Federal German intelligence reported 25,000 right-wing extremists, including 5,600 neo-Nazis.
I assume these are people who publicize their political views and does not include people who quietly sympathize with them either knowingly or unknowingly. These numbers of people are known (presmably) to support nazi-like ideas despite extensive years-long efforts to stigmatize their beliefs.

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Fionalein

Jopsy Pendragon

I'm now giving negative Eff's. I'm in debt.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
He should spend every last moment of his life locked in solitary, without spray tan or hair products, surrounded by cameras at unflattering angles and monitors that never go dark so that he has nothing to look at but his deteriorating and un-primped fatuous conceited bulk. And audio of his formerly loyal pals saying mean things about him blasting non-stop.

And a pile of phones with just enough charge to light up and then die before he can get a tweet out.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
After they lost they all will be gone. Just believe me, no one ever was at any time agreeing with the Nazi party over here in Germany post 1945...
Don't worry -- I can hear your tone of voice here.

I've just finished reading Hitler's American Friends, and it seems to me that an analogy might be with the way so many pre-war US supporters of Hitler and Fascism, or at least America First, and keeping the US out of the war, forgot their previous views rather suddenly.

Last edited:

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I assume these are people who publicize their political views and does not include people who quietly sympathize with them either knowingly or unknowingly. These numbers of people are known (presmably) to support nazi-like ideas despite extensive years-long efforts to stigmatize their beliefs.
Congratulations, Sherlock!

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I recall immediately post-45 there were still some, especially amongst youths that had gone through the Nazi indoctonated education system, former SS, and a few fanatics.

That all pretty much dried up after the airlift. The year '68 was also a pivotal year, although I've never looked closely at post war German history (if anyone can recommend a book or such please let me know). The airing of the American mini series "The Holocaust" in the early 80's was also a pivot point.

I know there's always going to be "that guy", but they've done a lot more about facing the truth and accounting for 12 years of madness than we have for over 300 years of black and NDN slavery/extermination. And don't forget most of whazisname's (1930's edition) ideas came from America - we did it first, and we named colleges after its proponents.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Sovereignty

SL Rez
I've just finished reading Hitler's American Friends, and it seems to me that an analogy might be with the way so many pre-war US supporters of Hitler and Fascism, or at least America First, and keeping the US out of the war, forgot their previous views rather suddenly.
I agree that Pearl Harbor led to the shift of public opinion that Roosevelt wanted and losing World War II (badly) also shifted public opinion in Germany.

That might suggest that the current split in US public opinion will remain unless something similarly dramatic occurs. I kind of hope nothing that dramatic does happen. Oh, yeah. Pandemic. But Trump is in office, not Roosevelt.

Back to Free's lament about poll numbers not changing ...

I think that Trump is exploiting a pre-existing political split in the US population that came to the foreground in 1994 with Contract with America. As I remember it, it wasn't so much the ideas as the method that changed. Newt Gingrich was a divisive, no compromise ass hole. It really was about power, not ideology.

Trump has stripped the R's of the ideological facade. If you take away Trump, I don't really see Trump's Republicans changing that much. I also don't see the 42-43% figure Free mentions changing drastically.

To me what tipped the U.S. into this situation was abolishing the
Fairness Doctrine (spawning the likes of Rush Limbaugh) and the rise of evangelicals. Seems like change would have to occur there somehow though I'd welcome a Pandemic Political Miracle.

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I am going to close this and start a new one:

Status
Not open for further replies.