How COVID-19 is affecting society

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410

danielravennest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,708
SLU Posts
9073
If I only had the space for that.
Model trains and the screnery building that goes with it, look like a great hobby.
We have real trains running through downtown of the little suburb I live in. Sometimes I hear them at night. So I don't need model trains.
 

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
We lived across the street from the tracks when I was younger. That was certainly special. 😐
 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
I used to live right in front of a train track, in Kennesaw. It was a bit annoying.
 

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,706
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
We lived across the street from the tracks when I was younger. That was certainly special. 😐
I can relate. We had tracks right on the other side of the wall behind our back yard when I was growing up. I actually found the sound of trains going by to be soothing.
 
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
There are lots of train tracks around Portland. I've lived in 7 different places. In 6 of them (not this last) I could hear trains running by in the distance, sometimes not very distant.
 

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
From a distance, even just a street away, the sound is very nice/comforting. It’s the dishes clinking, and windows rattling, and whistle in the night that were less so. Regulations are different now, and that area of town is now more expensive. The houses are probably better built/renovated.
 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
From a distance, even just a street away, the sound is very nice/comforting. It’s the dishes clinking, and windows rattling, and whistle in the night that were less so. Regulations are different now, and that area of town is now more expensive. The houses are probably better built/renovated.
Yeah, I didn't mind the sound of train on tracks, but the whistle at the wrong times. I'm a bit high strung.
 

Archer

Not a Robot
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
710
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2007
I specifically look for nearby active train tracks or airports to live near. Love those sounds for some odd reason. I would live near docks for boat sounds if I could.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Isabeau

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
You get used to the 'normal' sounds around you.
I live near an NATO airport where Awacs planes are stationed. They are very loud planes and in final approach or directly after departure (depending on the wind) when they pass a little to the north of the apartment building I live in.
When I'm on my balcony it is impossible to have a conversation when they pass.



But now in the winter, when I'm only inside, I can't recall when it was the last time I heard a plane coming over. Totally used to the sound I guess.
There are several operational flights a day. And when they do practice runs, every 15 minutes for hours in a row.

But when another military plane type uses that airbase occasionally, my ears won't miss it.
 
Last edited:
  • 1Interesting
Reactions: Isabeau

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
La surprise...

Tens of thousands of Covid-19 deaths are going unreported in the U.S., with far more missed in counties that strongly supported former President Trump, according to new research.

The figures suggest that political leanings have helped suppress the true scale of deaths. In cases where the deceased didn’t have a Covid-19 test, a coroner or medical examiner has the freedom to interpret symptoms.

“There’s potentially latitude to make a judgement call conditional on a set of beliefs about Covid and whether it represents a serious problem or a hoax,” said Andrew Stokes, a professor of global health at Boston University School of Public Health who performed the analysis for STAT.
 

Bartholomew Gallacher

Administrator
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
7,089
SL Rez
2002

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I think Innula's got it. I think they all know the trigger needs to be pulled but nobody wants to be the gunman.
Nevertheless, should the Tokyo Olympics be cancelled, one American state has the IOC's back, and will be happy to accommodate everyone's Olympian and Superspreader requirements