How COVID-19 is affecting society

Pancake

Fluffer
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
681
Location
Canada
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2011
SLU Posts
8642
I laughed hard at the image. 100% I did.

Then I was kinda impressed, it’s a clever way to indicate a priest. I’m sure it brings comfort to those dying in isolation. I don’t begrudge them that.
Clever solutions but hilarious image and caption. Win win.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
This is dreadful. Gavin Williamson, the Education Secretary, is absolutely hopeless. He's bungled the epidemic right from the start, with constant bad decisions and rapid changes of policy, leaving teachers and head teachers, parents and students, completely confused over examinations, school closures, free school meals for children from families on low incomes, and so on.

It's a whole catalogue of incompetence, almost approaching Chris "failing" Grayling standards, and I'm sure he's only in his job still because otherwise the Home Secretary would be the most publicly incompetent member of the cabinet, and she's scary as well as useless.
Boris Johnson’s plans to test millions of schoolchildren for coronavirus every week appear to be in disarray after the UK regulator refused to formally approve the daily testing of pupils in England, the Guardian has learned.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) told the government on Tuesday it had not authorised the daily use of 30-minute tests due to concerns that they give people false reassurance if they test negative.
 
Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
  • 1Like
Reactions: Arkady Arkright

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565


I would hip hip, etc., but I don't have any energy left in me.
 
  • 2Agree
Reactions: Archer and Lexxi

Arkady Arkright

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2018
Messages
814
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Do we know if that system was outsourced and, if so, to who ?

eta: Just spotted that this wasn't a one-off "oops, I deleted the dataset", but the repeated applcation of the wrong procedures over a period of three months.
According to the Times

A letter to chief constables yesterday revealed that a software error that deleted crucial evidence from the Police National Computer [PNC] could be worse than first thought.

The arrest records were accidentally deleted during a weekly “weeding” session to expunge data from the national computer, which is owned and operated by the Home Office. DNA and fingerprint records were also removed because the databases holding them were connected to the PNC.

Evernote link because paywall
 

Arkady Arkright

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2018
Messages
814
According to the Times
Found it again :
Technical issue resolved after '150,000 police records lost'
A coding error resulted in records that had been flagged for deletion being lost from the database before checks had been carried out to determine whether they could be lawfully held or not.
Police probes compromised after computer records deleted
And it reveals that a "weeding system", developed and deployed by a Home Office PNC team, started to delete records wrongly last November.
The process was only brought to a halt at the start of this week.
So it was an improperly tested in-house* coding error which wasn't spotted until 3 months after it went live.

* Possibly not 'in-house' - I found a wikipedia reference to it being run by a Canadian company in 2015, but I don't know if that's still the case.
The Police National Computer (PNC) is a computer system used extensively by law ... As of May 2015, the Home Office states that there are over 12.2 million ... is operated by the Canadian company CGI Group, on behalf of the Home Office.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Um. Backups. Don't they have backups?
It would seem not, unless they're hiding from Priti Patel and daren't come out and tell her about anything before she starts yelling (now I understand why there was some rumour going round about the Home Office doing a feasibility study on reintroducing the death penalty).

Meanwhile, a thread concerning a survey specifically about compliance with lockdown restrictions in the UK that might be relevant elsewhere


ETA