How COVID-19 is affecting society

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
The USA are opening up and returning to Pre-Covid working conditions step by step. Many employers want their workers to get back into their offices, what was the normal way before the pandemic crisis, but many workers want to be home office the new normal since they've experienced now how good that works for them.

Tim Cook, Apple CEO, for example wants to see his employers again three days a work week, but many employees downright refuse that and want the current normal to be the new normal.

In many companies employees are even quitting instead than to go back to work like normal.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I'm really fortunate in that my company is ASKING US what we want and has been very flexible about accommodating our answers. At least a few people can't wait to get back into the office, but others (like me) are not willing to go back. I'd be tempted to retire if they demanded a return, but I haven't gotten any pushback from my managers when I made that decision clear. In fact, my director joked that the next time he sees me will probably be at my retirement party and I can't opt out of that because it will be a roast. 😛

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I called up the guy who makes my guitars today to see how my new one is coming along. He asked me if I'd been following the Fauci e email thing. I didn't know how to answer that, because him being in a red state, he could well have had a quite different opinion than mine, which is 'leave the poor guy alone to do his job'. Then he proved I was right by saying Fauci hat inflated the death numbers, led about masks, blah blah blah. Rather than trying to convince him that there were indeed more deaths than a typical flu season, I stuck to my own personal experience : being in a risk category, I didn't want to roll those dice no matter what the odds were, in the advice of doctors I trust.
He's not a MAGA, but probably watches the conservative news stations.
What do you do when it's someone you need to continue to maintain a good working relationship with, but can't bring yourself to pretend to agree?

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Last edited:

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Someone's got some 'splaining to do!
Cases of fully vaccinated people getting COVID are rare, but still possible. That said though I think it's way too easy to forge VAX cards and sadly, there are a number of assholes who have no regard for public safety who would do it.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Cases of fully vaccinated people getting COVID are rare, but still possible. That said though I think it's way too easy to forge VAX cards and sadly, there are a number of assholes who have no regard for public safety who would do it.
From a report by Public Health England, discussing the new Delta variant:

According to the report, since the start of February to 7 June, there were 33,206 Delta cases in England: while 19,573 were in unvaccinated individuals, 1,785 were among fully vaccinated people and 7,559 were among those who had received one jab, with the vaccination status of the remainder unclear.

In total, 383 people in England were admitted to hospital with the Delta variant over that period – 223 of whom tested positive for Covid before turning up at A&E – with 42 having had two doses of the jab, 86 having one dose and 251 unvaccinated.

Of the 42 deaths recorded in England within 28 days of a positive test involving the Delta variant, 23 were in unvaccinated people, with 12 among those who were fully vaccinated and seven among people who had had one dose.
Evernote link because why not

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

This Delta strain seems significantly more infectious than the Alpha variant it's replacing and also somewhat better at overcoming vaccines.

I don't think we're out of the woods yet, and it's only a matter of time until it hits the US, I fear.

danielravennest

SLU Posts

This Delta strain seems significantly more infectious than the Alpha variant it's replacing and also somewhat better at overcoming vaccines.

I don't think we're out of the woods yet, and it's only a matter of time until it hits the US, I fear.
It's already here

The Delta variant, which was first detected in India, now accounts for more than 6% of all infections in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And this highly transmissible variant may be responsible for more than 18% of cases in some Western U.S. states.
This may be the reason the decline in cases, which are down by 80% in the last six weeks, seems to have stalled out.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez

Which vaccines, and how many doses?
I've leaned to check my alarm until I can ask doctors I trust.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Which vaccines, and how many doses?
I've leaned to check my alarm until I can ask doctors I trust.
The question "how many doses" is answered in this graphic, from the article

I don't know if they've broken it down by vaccine, but this is Public Health England's latest briefing on vaccine effectiveness and the Delta variant: Vaccines highly effective against B.1.617.2 variant after 2 doses

ETA: I think, from what I've read, that they're particularly concerned about transmissibility within households and families when some members are vaccinated and some aren't. If you've got a multigenerational household where the older members have been vaccinated but not the younger ones, then unless everyone is cautious, the oldies, despite their vaccinations, nevertheless remain at some risk of catching the disease from an infectious member of the household (though at much less risk than were they unvaccinated).

Last edited: