How COVID-19 is affecting society

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I think it's a joke about Trump's firing people who disagree with him, and replacing them with loyal stooges who will say whatever it takes to keep him happy.

At least, I hope it is.
Based on Snapper's Twitter profile, yes, it was a very dry, sarcastic response. I thought that was obvious... but then I remembered this is 2020.

• 1Like
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
So, I saw Michael Moore freaking out in a Facebook post about the hundreds of thousands of Trumpsters heading to OK. And Resistance Twitter was super worried about that possible MAGA 'show of force'.I mean, Brad Parscale was bragging about an astronomical number of ticket requests. It WAS a bit disheartening and concerning, especially with everything else going on.

But...

I know NYT is behind a paywall (I think you get so many 'free' articles a month), but I just have to say...if my son knew about this (a bit isolated from the news at Boot Camp right now), he'd be so proud of his fellow 'Zoomers':

“It spread mostly through Alt TikTok — we kept it on the quiet side where people do pranks and a lot of activism,” said the YouTuber Elijah Daniel, 26, who participated in the campaign. “K-pop Twitter and Alt TikTok have a good alliance where they spread information amongst each other very quickly. They all know the algorithms and how they can boost videos to get where they want.”
TikTok Teens and K-Pop Stans Say They Sank Trump Rally

Twitter users on Saturday night were quick to declare the social media campaign’s victory. “Actually you just got ROCKED by teens on TikTok,” Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York tweeted in response to Mr. Parscale, who had tweeted that “radical protestors” had “interfered” with attendance.
“The teens of America have struck a savage blow against @realDonaldTrump,” added Steve Schmidt, a longtime Republican strategist.
Actually, KPop stans are pretty savage, in a cooly technically way:

K-pop stans have been getting increasingly involved in American politics in recent months. After the Trump campaign solicited messages for the president’s birthday on June 8, K-pop stans submitted a stream of prank messages. And earlier in June, when the Dallas Police Department asked citizens to submit videos of suspicious or illegal activity through a dedicated app, K-pop Twitter claimed credit for crashing the app by uploading thousands of “fancam” videos.
They also reclaimed the #WhiteLivesMatter hashtag in May, by spamming it with endless K- pop videos, in hopes to make it harder for white supremacists and sympathizers to find one another and communicate their messaging.
Whether or not the prank to call in false tickets was the reason for the empty upper rafters at Trump’s rally, teenagers online celebrated. On Twitter, several accounts tweeted, “best senior prank ever.”
Best part? Many, if not most, of them used Google voice numbers or other forms of faking their phone number, so they could thwart the Trump campaign's data collection.

Last edited:

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
So, I saw Michael Moore freaking out in a Facebook post about the hundreds of thousands of Trumpsters heading to OK. And Resistance Twitter was super worried about that possible MAGA 'show of force'.I mean, Brad Parscale was bragging about an astronomical number of ticket requests. It WAS a bit disheartening and concerning, especially with everything else going on.

But...

I know NYT is behind a paywall (I think you get so many 'free' articles a month), but I just have to say...if my son knew about this (a bit isolated from the news at Boot Camp right now), he'd be so proud of his fellow 'Zoomers':

Best part? Many, if not most, of them used Google voice numbers or other forms of faking their phone number, so they could thwart the Trump campaign's data collection.
The browser add on (or separate app, on mobile) Pocket can do an end run around paywalls.
When you're on the page you select Pocket from the send-to menu.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Shiloh Lyric

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
The prank didn't stop actual Chump fans from getting tickets, but it absolutely did fool the Chump regime into bragging about "a million tickets" being reserved. Today Parscale is all like "the fake reservations totally didn't fool us, we recognized them right away", but that didn't stop them from setting up this huge overflow crowd area with security and everything outside the stadium to accommodate a crowd that never showed up, lol.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez

But...

An interesting thread about how the K-pop stans messed up more than just the rally for the Dump campaign

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
This link had access for me:

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
  • 2Agree
Reactions: Archer and Rose Karuna

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I know.
But still an uggly example of the American way of trying to make dollars on everybody and everything, no matter how or what IMHO.
I think you missed the bitter sarcasm I intended with that statement...... my bad, most likely, should add the /bitter sarcasm

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Sid

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
SARS-CoV-2 is bad enough, but the next pandemic could be worse. Instead of being better prepared for the next threat, we're basically demolishing our public health system.

Same topic, from the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/amid-threats-and-political-pushback-public-health-officials-leaving-posts/2020/06/22/6075f7a2-b0cf-11ea-856d-5054296735e5_story.html

Trends like this support my own pessimistic, apocalyptic vision of the future. As more and more threats continue to emerge -- the inevitable result of overpopulation and resource plundering and climate change -- people will grow fearful and increasingly irrational. They will gravitate to "strong men" that promise them easy answers, decisive victories over their enemies and a return to better times. They will turn against the voice of reason.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
It's why I believe prostitution is the purest form of capitalism. You're not just the money maker: you're the product.
No, the purest form of capitalism is chattel slavery of women-- not only is every part of the enslaved woman's productive labour alienated to the enslaver, but she is herself a product to be bought, sold, leased, or used as security for a loan (which her enforced labour helps to repay) and, since her children inherit her enslavement, she's a product and unit of labour that reproduces herself.

Free

Nasty Hugs
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
No, the purest form of capitalism is chattel slavery of women-- not only is every part of the enslaved woman's productive labour alienated to the enslaver, but she is herself a product to be bought, sold, leased, or used as security for a loan (which her enforced labour helps to repay) and, since her children inherit her enslavement, she's a product and unit of labour that reproduces herself.
George Fitzhugh would disagree with you.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Sovereignty

SL Rez
George Fitzhugh would disagree with you.
This is a nice read. [said with some sardonic humor in mind]
Fitzhugh differed from nearly all of his southern contemporaries by advocating a slavery that crossed racial boundaries. In 1860 Fitzhugh stated, "It is a libel on white men to say they are unfit for slavery" and suggested that if Yankees were caught young they could be trained, domesticated and civilized to make "faithful and valuable servants."
ETA: I've been binge watching Breaking Bad. I think the Pollos Hermanos guy treats all of his employees as slaves. It makes an interesting story.
ETA2: Perhaps slavery should be distinguished from having a slave market. Most people focus on the slave market aspect of the business. The day-to-day business of employing slaves is something else again.
ETA3: At the moment Gus is trying to "train, domesticate, and civilize" a meth-addict. His alternative is to kill him.

Last edited: