Did you get seeds in the mail you didn't order?

Sid

One can't have enough coffee breaks.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Use one hand to open the lid of the trash bin, the other one to trow the package in.
Close the lid, wash your hands with soap, keep 6 feet between you and other persons outside your household and wear a mask in public places.
Go in self quarantine when you have symptoms until the test result comes in.
I don't see the problem.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Use one hand to open the lid of the trash bin, the other one to trow the package in.
Close the lid, wash your hands with soap, keep 6 feet between you and other persons outside your household and wear a mask in public places.
Go in self quarantine when you have symptoms until the test result comes in.
I don't see the problem.
I'm not sure I'd simply throw into the trash what might be seeds of an invasive alien plant species unless I was confident I knew how the trash would be disposed of.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Lexxi and Isabeau

Sid

One can't have enough coffee breaks.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Bury it in the ground in a few centimeters deep grave. And once you have shoveled the dirt back on top, use water to tighten up the soil.
That will teach those seeds.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
The weirdness might be getting weirder. The local news station today interviewed the sheriff of a very rural parish next to mine, saying that within the last week they've started getting numerous reports from several communities around the parish of packages posted from Hong Kong or China (all the boxes I've seen photos of are China Post) to residents who didn't order them. But it's not seeds now; it's just random things. One person got sunglasses, another couple got some cheap watches. Somebody got a packaged pair of what looked for all the world like absinthe spoons or something. Another guy got earrings; and so on and so forth. The sheriff said he wasn't aware as of yet that any other parish in the state was reporting a rash of packages like this, aside from the seeds of course which people have been receiving all over.

So the sheriff gave the usual warnings - if you receive a package that you didn't order, don't open it. If it's one of the China Post packages, he wants residents to report them so the sheriff's office can come and collect them.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
This video has a decent theory about the seeds packages:

Basically, says the theory, the seeds are coming from Chinese online sellers as part of a scam, though not one against the recipients of the seeds.

Here's how it works: online marketplaces in China are highly competitive and the high placement of one's store in the listings is dependent in large part on how many orders the store ships, and how many good reviews they receive from customers. The products are cheap garbage so the good reviews have to be faked; but in order to combat fakery, the online marketplaces require shipping confirmation numbers to prove that the person leaving the review is an actual customer.

Enter this scam. The seller obtains names and addresses the same way any spammer does, and mails out these packages to random people outside China. In this way they create "real" shipping labels and info, and once they receive confirmation that the package has been delivered, they log onto the markeplace pretending to be the recipient using their shipping confirmation number and leave a good review for themselves. The products they're pretending to sell aren't seeds; they can be anything - bracelets or sunglasses for instance - but seeds are sent because 1) they're even more worthless than the cheap products they're actually pushing, so they lose nothing and 2) seeds can be measured out to a very precise weight which is necessary because the actual weight of the package has to match the stated weight of the alleged product being mailed in order to get through Customs.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Eventually, this won't be considered newsworthy and we will ignore warnings and plant our scam seeds for fun and Bang! that's when they'll get us!

''Oh! One of those seed packets again... cool.''

...and all of North America's food-crops were contaminated in the same year.