Democratic Party Presidential Candidates for 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
The New York Times has a lengthy article about the class of swing voters in the battleground states, how many they are, who is part of it and how they tick. 15% of the voters of those states - Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Florida, Arizona and North Carolina - are swing voters who have not decided yet.

Interestingly there are probably more male then female in this class. The Times argues that the Democrat's candidate needs at least to win in three of those states over Trump to have a chance if the rest of the states voted exactly like in 2016 - which really is a very big if.

When polling registered voters in those states, Trump leads against Warren and Sander but trails Biden. Talking to likely voters Biden does lead even more so, while Sanders and Warren have no chance.

So their conclusion is that at the moment Biden is the Democrat's candidate with the highest chance of winning, because he does appeal to most swing voters. In between is Sanders, and Warren has the least.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
And this too. When copying Bernie didn't work, he rolled this way and the money came in. Pushing a public option.

Salome

Vermicious Knid
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Fuck I don't remember
As this is more or less just a follow-up on Bazelon’s August hit piece in the NYT, I’m just going to post the general rebuttal to those many false and half-true claims. It’s too exhausting to go through the whole mess every-time they do this.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Cindy Claveau

Aeon Jiminy

I was talking to my dental hygienist about health care yesterday. Instead of health insurance, her family uses this: Christian Care Ministry | Medi-Share . I never knew such a thing existed. Obviously, the whole concept kinda freaks me out and this is explicitly not an endorsement. I just found it to be another layer of resistance that must be overcome in getting consensus for something like Med4All. This is someone I've been seeing every 3 months for over 20 years and we've had some pretty personal discussions. This is someone who comes from an earned asset-rich , conservative Christian, CPA husband, high performing ( nurse practitioner, robotics engineer) sub-Ivy League children, breast cancer survivor, doesn't need a break household. I don't understand the contradictions.

They've found a way to game the Obama Care system of not being able to deny pre-existing conditions by being able to pay out of pocket, use this creepy Christian healthcare network, and be in a position to gamble and save thousands of dollars a year in premiums.

It was an eye-opener to see the venom this woman had for the concept of "paying for other people's healthcare", even though she's doing exactly that in this network. I guess "other" is that which one doesn't approve of. I'm feeling this 20 y/old relationship just went up in smoke. I don't feel like dropping $180 a crack out-of-pocket for her "care" anymore.

The rot in our healthcare system seems overwhelming. It's not just the money, it's the people.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Han Held and Cristalle

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
I was talking to my dental hygienist about health care yesterday. Instead of health insurance, her family uses this: Christian Care Ministry | Medi-Share . I never knew such a thing existed. Obviously, the whole concept kinda freaks me out and this is explicitly not an endorsement. I just found it to be another layer of resistance that must be overcome in getting consensus for something like Med4All. This is someone I've been seeing every 3 months for over 20 years and we've had some pretty personal discussions. This is someone who comes from an earned asset-rich , conservative Christian, CPA husband, high performing ( nurse practitioner, robotics engineer) sub-Ivy League children, breast cancer survivor, doesn't need a break household. I don't understand the contradictions.

They've found a way to game the Obama Care system of not being able to deny pre-existing conditions by being able to pay out of pocket, use this creepy Christian healthcare network, and be in a position to gamble and save thousands of dollars a year in premiums.

It was an eye-opener to see the venom this woman had for the concept of "paying for other people's healthcare", even though she's doing exactly that in this network. I guess "other" is that which one doesn't approve of. I'm feeling this 20 y/old relationship just went up in smoke. I don't feel like dropping $180 a crack out-of-pocket for her "care" anymore.

The rot in our healthcare system seems overwhelming. It's not just the money, it's the people.
It's always people.

This is not new; people who are supposedly religious object to having to pay for things like abortion (even though they get them when push comes to shove), drug rehab, etc. Purportedly, Christians will not conduct themselves in such fashion as to have to pay for those things, and perhaps contraception is in that list of items as well. So the ACA allows this exemption, as it's not insurance but is still a theoretically viable means of coverage since they're sharing the bills. So long as the bills get paid, it's viable. I have heard some people having problems with it, but I don't know for sure. I don't really have a problem with it so long as they actually pay the bills. There is commercial insurance otherwise.

Aeon Jiminy

It's always people.

This is not new; people who are supposedly religious object to having to pay for things like abortion (even though they get them when push comes to shove), drug rehab, etc. Purportedly, Christians will not conduct themselves in such fashion as to have to pay for those things, and perhaps contraception is in that list of items as well. So the ACA allows this exemption, as it's not insurance but is still a theoretically viable means of coverage since they're sharing the bills. So long as the bills get paid, it's viable. I have heard some people having problems with it, but I don't know for sure. I don't really have a problem with it so long as they actually pay the bills. There is commercial insurance otherwise.
I never thought of the moral objection angle. I guess my life doesn't generally attract Christians, I don't go to Church, so I'm not in the Christian Healthcare circle. The only thing that kinda bugs me, is the plan to get "sinful" insurance if in crisis, which means the sinners are going to carry the burden for catastrophe.
She would still do better with Med4All. I wouldn't object to contributing for her yearly Mammogram screening, even though I don't believe in breasts and never use them anymore. It's amazing to watch all of the twisting and prying it takes to get Americans out of the healthcare nuthouse. I can't imagine addressing meaningful Climate Change reforms if we can't do healthcare. It's going to require sacrifice and cooperation x 10.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
This is not new; people who are supposedly religious object to having to pay for things like abortion (even though they get them when push comes to shove)
I get the reason for objecting to paying for abortions. Thing is, they don't.

So obviously they object for other reasons. And if they truly held to those convictions, they'd demand that women who have abortions, and the doctors and nurses that handle the procedure, and the medical assistants and desk clerks who provide any aid whatsoever, should all be imprisoned. Or worse. But most don't have the guts to stick their necks out that far because they know most Americans would stand against them.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts

So obviously they object for other reasons. And if they truly held to those convictions, they'd demand that women who have abortions, and the doctors and nurses that handle the procedure, and the medical assistants and desk clerks who provide any aid whatsoever, should all be imprisoned. Or worse. But most don't have the guts to stick their necks out that far because they know most Americans would stand against them.
I just picked the most egregious hot-button issue but it's really more like contraception, STDs, drug rehab that they would object to.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cindy Claveau

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

So obviously they object for other reasons. And if they truly held to those convictions, they'd demand that women who have abortions, and the doctors and nurses that handle the procedure, and the medical assistants and desk clerks who provide any aid whatsoever, should all be imprisoned. Or worse.
In a lot of places around the country, they're trying their damned best to make that happen.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Han Held

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
I don't know if anyone is interested, but there is a lot of discussion happening in progressive circles about the Professional/Managerial Class (PMC), and some of it is coming from popular but not mainstream news sources.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I don't know if anyone is interested, but there is a lot of discussion happening in progressive circles about the Professional/Managerial Class (PMC), and some of it is coming from popular but not mainstream news sources.
A link to an example, or some info about what they are talking about would be nice. If it's just "down with the bourgeoisie", we had that discussion in the 19th century.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Eric Holder is thinking about getting in too. I mean, really? His record is going to get trashed. Why didn't you hold anyone from Wall Street accountable? If Harris wouldn't go after Mnuchin, why didn't you? Come, Holder, let's discuss your record. Nimrod.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
As this is more or less just a follow-up on Bazelon’s August hit piece in the NYT, I’m just going to post the general rebuttal to those many false and half-true claims. It’s too exhausting to go through the whole mess every-time they do this.

She stands for nothing other than identity and got exposed. She keeps "mishearing" questions and pivoting, reinforcing that image. Instead of trying to get Trump off of Twitter, she should have been coming up with bold, meaningful policy.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aeon Jiminy

Aeon Jiminy

That's probably a good thing. He'll just split votes with Biden.
He might likely bleed support from Warren and Buttigeig, who also appeal to a mainly white Professional/Managerial Class-sensitive voter. I just don't see people of color or Bernie supporters running to Bloomberg for leadership.

In any case, I'm happy to welcome Bloomberg to the party and encourage others like him to come on down and buy their million dollars chance to win a stay at The White House.

Status
Not open for further replies.