Democratic Party Presidential Candidates for 2020

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
A little analysis: Bloomberg will only pull from people like Biden, Buttigieg and Harris, and maybe some Warren.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cindy Claveau

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Fair question? I don't know. An interesting and valid point, but Warren wasn't amused. Not a good note to end on.
There is a valid discussion but it's longer and a bit more nuanced. In short, it's not so much that they are first but that there is so much time between the first contests and the next contests (SC and NV), and so little time between the next contests and Super Tuesday. IA and NH have an outsized influence because they have a lot more time to shape the media narrative in between contests. She obviously wasn't prepared for this question and reacted badly to it.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aeon Jiminy

Aeon Jiminy

There is a valid discussion but it's longer and a bit more nuanced. In short, it's not so much that they are first but that there is so much time between the first contests and the next contests (SC and NV), and so little time between the next contests and Super Tuesday. IA and NH have an outsized influence because they have a lot more time to shape the media narrative in between contests. She obviously wasn't prepared for this question and reacted badly to it.
This is going to be interesting. It's a difficult question, for sure, and she may as well have ran off the stage on fire. If this had been Sanders, I'm sure we would be watching this clip for the next week over and over on every on major media outlet with discussion panels and outraged pundits demanding for the end of his campaign. There would probably be an entire segment of The View with Ashlee Marie Preston. Nina Turner would be under fire. It would be a topic in the next debate. Let's see what happens.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Han Held and Cristalle

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
This is going to be interesting. It's a difficult question, for sure, and she may as well have ran off the stage on fire. If this had been Sanders, I'm sure we would be watching this clip for the next week over and over on every on major media outlet with discussion panels and outraged pundits demanding for the end of his campaign. There would probably be an entire segment of The View with Ashlee Marie Preston. Nina Turner would be under fire. It would be a topic in the next debate. Let's see what happens.
I agree, but it's a good warning for any of the other candidates to be prepared to answer a question like this. You don't want to alienate Iowa and New Hampshire, you want to recognize that their traditional roles is the first in the nation are something that they are very proud of.

But if they say that if the diversity of the four earliest contests is pretty good and representative of the country as a whole, which they are, then they could say that they should just decrease the amount of time between those contests and the South Carolina and Nevada primary and caucus so that the timing is not so disadvantageous to the remaining contests. That is the answer that Warren should have given, that would have been respectful to South Carolina without looking like she had her hair set on fire.

• 1Agree

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Fair question? I don't know. An interesting and valid point, but Warren wasn't amused. Not a good note to end on.
How was that even a fair question? What is Warren, or any candidate for that matter, supposed to do about the Primary schedule? As far as I know, the Primaries are scheduled by the individual states. The President has nothing to do with that. Might as well have asked her what she intends to do about the sky being blue.

Aeon Jiminy

How was that even a fair question? What is Warren, or any candidate for that matter, supposed to do about the Primary schedule? As far as I know, the Primaries are scheduled by the individual states. The President has nothing to do with that. Might as well have asked her what she intends to do about the sky being blue.
Nobody promises a President that the world is going to be fair and on your side. There are times when you have to have an answer. Howard Dean went down for a howl that was on continuous media loop. This moment would destroy Warren's campaign if the media decided to do so. " I'm just a player in the game" It says she's powerless and that's the argument that you are making to defend her. Fair or unfair, It's not a pretty color on a presidential candidate.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Han Held

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Inside baseball bullshit. It'll blow over in a day because most people won't give it a second thought.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts

Han Held

It's all part of my Rococo N Roll Fantasy
Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
You don't throw accusations like that against people without evidence.
Regardless of one's opinion of Gabbard, this is the bottom line.

If we claim to follow the rule of law, that includes the concept that people are innocent until proven guilty.

• 1Agree

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Regardless of one's opinion of Gabbard, this is the bottom line.

If we claim to follow the rule of law, that includes the concept that people are innocent until proven guilty.
I'm tired of the smearing using guilt by association. I mean, using that logic, maybe Qanon is real and right about Hillary Clinton running a pedophilia ring, given her associations with Jeffrey Epstein and Harvey Weinstein, especially since her campaign sought to quash Ronan Farrow's reporting. Maybe they were right, but just had the location wrong when the goon attacked the pizza shop. And yeah, she had Seth Rich killed, too! See how that works?

Funny how that's okay going one way.

ETA: oh, and Bill got paid by a Russian bank, to the tune of $500K. Maybe they're the real Russian stooges!

Han Held

Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
I'm tired of the smearing using guilt by association. I mean, using that logic, maybe Qanon is real and right about Hillary Clinton running a pedophilia ring, given her associations with Jeffrey Epstein and Harvey Weinstein, especially since her campaign sought to quash Ronan Farrow's reporting.
Would it really be terribly surprising if it turned out that whole bit was spread around the internet in anticipation of the Epstein story being leaked -for the sake of getting ahead of it and discrediting it?

I wouldn't be surprised, personally speaking.

That said, it's irresponsible for someone in Clinton's position to throw around accusations without so much as a photo of Gabbard dining with Putin...

Han Held

Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
IE I think that there's a lot more to Jill Stein being sketchy than "guilt by association", that's a low bar that someone in Clinton's position could easily clear.

If she could clear it in Gabbard's case; she ought to have. If I were Gabbard I'd be reacting the same way.