Coup in the USA?

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Ok what just happened today in Pennsylvania?

I have watched the video, read a few Reddit threads and news articles, but as a non American I’m not sure if these terms like treason, sedition and coup are internet hyperbole or legit.

More terrifying are those saying this was the dress rehearsal for tomorrow.

For real, how bad is this? And more importantly can this happen to Biden? Refusing to acknowledge voting results?

Edit to add one of the links and videos.

Last edited:
SL Rez
SLU Posts
My non expert take is first - Treason is a crime. However no one has been convicted of it since 1952.
Sedition is on the books but from what I can tell, the only people convicted of it in modern times were people involved in mixing explosives shortly after the World Trade Center bombing in 1993.
Attempting to commit a coup isn't a legal word. That would be treason.

As for refusing to acknowledge voting results, there is no way they have the numbers for that to be a problem. It will however force all of them to display a vote showing their support for orangey or for democracy. That includes Pence.

Archer

Arch Enemy
SL Rez
Joined SLU
The situation remains unresolved at this point.

The Republicans are acting like spoiled brats, as usual. Their guy lost by 69 votes, the results were certified, challenged, and upheld in court. They have appealed to the Federal Courts, and that is their whole basis for the chaos yesterday. They demanded that no one be sworn in for that seat until the appeals process is finished. They even had made an agreement prior to yesterday's session to provisionally seat the Senator, which they promptly went back on. At this point, Republicans cannot be trusted even with a dog catcher position anywhere in this country. It's insane.

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
It's not good, and I'm highly pissed off. I've already talked to my state Senator's office and let them know how freaking OUTRAGED I am by this action on the part of our Senate. I'm not surprised by it. And I'm really pissed by what they pulled with Lt. Gov Fetterman. No one should be messing with John! Unfortunately, Republicans have control of our state Legislature. Senator Brewster SHOULD have been seated, and in the highly off-chance his opponent's lawsuit succeeds, he had already agreed to step down. Her suit WON'T succeed, and ultimately, he'll be seated.

I doubt the same thing could happen to Biden. The Federal Congress isn't controlled by Republicans. Only one chamber is and that's the Senate, and despite the dozen who plan to "object" to the Electoral vote count, they will ultimately vote to confirm Biden. It's a show for Trump and a play for his base from some Senators or Congress people who have designs on 2022 and 2024.

I'm angry as hell, but unsurprised.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Meanwhile, in Washington, right-wing protestors have broken into the capitol building.

If a group of black men had done this, they would have been mowed down by the police. But white guys gets a pass, apparently, in mounting a violent coup.

Cindy Claveau

SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
Meanwhile, in Washington, right-wing protestors have broken into the capitol building.

If a group of black men had done this, they would have been mowed down by the police. But white guys gets a pass, apparently, in mounting a violent coup.
Well, really, after claiming Colin Kaepernick was "disrespecting our troops", I expect nothing less of the Party of Stupid.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

No exaggeration. There would be blood running down the Capitol steps this moment if it was black people.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
What do those idiots in DC hope to accomplish by this? And this time, I'm not referring to our congress critters!

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Lawmakers and reporters inside the building say they have been asked to evacuate, shelter in place and put on gas masks.

What the idiots try to achieve is connected with a self told prophecy by the Republicans: they told themselves if they do loose indeed this one election, that they will not be able to win any election in the future, because the Democrats will open the borders and masses of immigrants will flood the country.

In reality though they fear that the Democrats finally give voting power to the legal immigrants, which are traditionally anti GOP and have been sabotaged by the GOP since ages. Something which might happen.

And just look at this bunch of "American patriots" below, so many beards, they must be glad for the hipsters which made full beards not muslim exclusive in the public eye.

Last edited:
  • 2Sad
Reactions: Govi and Myradyl Muse

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Does DC have a National Guard unit? I thought the Marines were the federal defense force in DC. Am I wrong?

• 1Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Kalel

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
They need to subdue and arrest these people. Shoot them if necessary. I had a gun drawn on me walking down the wrong hallway, looking for a restroom, in the Capital building and was pretty confident that they would shoot me if I didn't stop as instructed.