Tears of the Jetta...

• 1Pie
Reactions: Tigar

Jopsy Pendragon

If you can't dazzle'm with dexterity...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
And now I’m beginning to have 2nd thoughts.

Sure, you might give yourself 3rd degree burns plopping bare flesh onto vinyl/leather seats in a fully heated parked car. You can fry an egg on the hood... but parts actually melting? Nah, that needed extra help.

Common plastics have a higher melting point than Phoenix record high temps. (like 200f+).

Likely it was parked too close to something that was on fire, or a it was subjected to some kind of heat-gun prank.

Or heaven forbid, it was parked in the wrong place at the wrong time of day when a curved fully-windowed building caused solar energy to converge on it. (I think that's a major violation of building codes in phoenix though)

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Sure, you might give yourself 3rd degree burns plopping bare flesh onto vinyl/leather seats in a fully heated parked car. You can fry an egg on the hood... but parts actually melting? Nah, that needed extra help.

Common plastics have a higher melting point than Phoenix record high temps. (like 200f+).

Likely it was parked too close to something that was on fire, or a it was subjected to some kind of heat-gun prank.

Or heaven forbid, it was parked in the wrong place at the wrong time of day when a curved fully-windowed building caused solar energy to converge on it. (I think that's a major violation of building codes in phoenix though)
When first I saw the clip, I wondered if the melted components weren't simply props, attached to the car in order to make a viral video.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Snopes tags the melting car light stories as fake. The cars are real, but they apparently were in a construction area fire.

Meanwhile:

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
And now I’m beginning to have 2nd thoughts.
I assumed you were only joking about moving to a state like Arizona. You're not serious, are you? Wait, of course you're joking, because running full tilt into a danger zone that people should be leaving would be crazy. It's just so hard to tell, sometimes, without tone markers.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Jopsy Pendragon

If you can't dazzle'm with dexterity...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
I assumed you were only joking about moving to a state like Arizona. You're not serious, are you? Wait, of course you're joking, because running full tilt into a danger zone that people should be leaving would be crazy. It's just so hard to tell, sometimes, without tone markers.
I am indeed moving to AZ with Tigress. For several reasons, some of which include that we’ll be moving in with her best friend from childhood , renting at a very favorable rate, it’s desert and we both love the desert. ( I spent two years at George AFB in CA and loved it.) The cost of living is low and since I’m retiring and will be on a fixed income, that matters hugely. Tigress’ only income is SS disability.

We’ll be up in the mountains (about 5,000+ feet) so I’m not really worried about my taillights melting 😉

why do you call it a danger zone?

• 1Hug
Reactions: Archer

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
Snopes tags the melting car light stories as fake. The cars are real, but they apparently were in a construction area fire.

Meanwhile:
I must say that I’m kinda disappointed ☹

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts

I dunno wth I didn’t realize that, thanks for pointing it out.
speaking of curved windows focusing sunlight, I think something like that happened here in Dallas some years ago.

ETA: Yep, it did. Turning Up The Heat: Building Glare That's More Than A Nuisance

• 1Like
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Bless their hearts, poor microbes must be simply starv'n down there in Rick Perry/Louie Gohmert country...
Actually, Houston - NASA country, and a lot of tech jobs and engineers.

Its also one of the places my spouse and I [if its not summer] have to go on occasion for his job.

• 1Like

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
why do you call it a danger zone?
If you're retirement age and don't expect to live too long, then you'll probably be okay.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Presuming of course, your home is still habitable without the utilities and access that were less elevated.

My home would be fine, I'm at ~280ft above sea level. My power, comms, water would probably be gone, as would the rails/roads that bring food/services to my future isolated island.
Given the San Diego area's geography, if the ocean level rose enough, there'd be a lot of small islands over there.

• 1Agree

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I dunno wth I didn’t realize that, thanks for pointing it out.
speaking of curved windows focusing sunlight, I think something like that happened here in Dallas some years ago.

ETA: Yep, it did. Turning Up The Heat: Building Glare That's More Than A Nuisance
I've heard of something like that happening somewhere before, where light and heat being reflected off a high-rise was causing car windows to explode or something like that.