"Global heating makes our homes uninhabitable - Lets contribute to global heating by doing even more useless air conditioning."
I really can't wait till those morons run out of oil to pay for their sins.
The whole article is worth reading.
Qatar, it seems, is pretty much uninhabitable without cooling, and the Qataris seem to be doing a great deal -- more, I'm sure, than many US desert and irrigated desert cities -- to reduce the need for air-conditioning indoors through design methods, and similarly doing all they can naturally to cool the urban "cool spots" where outdoor cooling is used so people can hold street-markets and walk down the street without acute discomfort.
The air conditioning system described in the headline is the one in the city's international soccer stadium, and the stadium would clearly be unusable without it.
It's a complicated problem, as the local climate activists apparently acknowledge.
Certainly I'm glad I bothered to read the article -- when you've got economically important cities, like Qatar, or Los Angeles or Houston or Phoenix or Las Vegas, that aren't sustainable in anything like their present form without huge amounts of air-conditioning, what do you do?
Abandon them?