Yay! Biden/Harris WIN

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Storm in a glass of water.
99.9% of the politicians from all over the world who congratulated Biden with his victory would have send congratulations to Trump as well, if he had won.
No doubt about that. And Biden knows that too.
You are right of course. But even so, it's just too hillarious!

Edit: No, it's more than hillarious. It's... it's... BORISOUS!

Last edited:

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
99.9% of the politicians from all over the world who congratulated Biden with his victory would have send congratulations to Trump as well, if he had won.
No doubt about that. And Biden knows that too.
The way the congratulations are worded could be different... although someone like Trump probably would not have been able to tell.
He will have send a few of those himself while thinking along the line "f*ck you, *ssh*le" during his political career.
His staff may have sent the congratulations, but when he got on the phone...

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
No, this has to be deliberate. Nobody but nobody is that incompetent!
You can't have been following the British news very closely over the last year, whether about Brexit or Covid-19 -- Johnson and most of his cabinet keep on demonstrating every week or 10 days that they are, in fact, far more incompetent than that.

ETA -- Arkady beat me to it.

Also, Hanlon's Razor (which turns out to be a lot older than I thought)

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Johnson and most of his cabinet keep on demonstrating every week or 10 days that they are, in fact, far more incompetent than that.
Yes, I should have thought it through before I posted that. And now of course two Tory backbenchers, Iain Duncan Smith and John Redwood, have been kind enough to elmininate all doubts about the Tories collective mental capacity.

Come to think of it, didn't they try to redact part of the Yellowhammer document by changing the background colour of parts of a PDF document to black? Or is that just something I dreamed?

We really need that new word I suggested now:
Borisous ): Excessively hillarious, ludicrous, preposterous and ridiculous. Usually also pretentious.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Yes, I should have thought it through before I posted that. And now of course two Tory backbenchers, Iain Duncan Smith and John Redwood, have been kind enough to elmininate all doubts about the Tories collective mental capacity.

Come to think of it, didn't they try to redact part of the Yellowhammer document by changing the background colour of parts of a PDF document to black? Or is that just something I dreamed?

We really need that new word I suggested now:
Borisous ): Excessively hillarious, ludicrous, preposterous and ridiculous. Usually also pretentious.
Yellowhammer was leaked, I think, at least according to this

But certainly, I, too, remember reading not some time ago about a botched attempt to redact something in an official document that was easily unredacted by anyone with modest .pdf skills. However, I can't remember any more than that -- not what it was about, or even whether it was the UK or the US.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Ralph Nader wrote a comment, thinking the Democrats didn't put enough effort into the best ways to get rid of Trump and that's why now the outcome is so meh for themdespite Biden elected: Apart From Defeating Trump, Why Did The Democrats Have Such a Bad Election Day?

Apart from barely squeezing through the swing states to defeat corrupt, incompetent, lying, corporatist Donald Trump, the Democratic Party had a bad election.

Loaded with nearly twice as much money as the Republican Party, the Democratic Party showed that weak candidates with no robust agendas for people where they live, work, and raise their families, is a losing formula. And lose they did against the worst, cruelest, ignorant, lawbreaking, reality-denying GOP in its 166-year history.

The Democrats failed to win the Senate, despite nearly having twice the number of Senators up for re-election than the Republicans. In addition, the Democratic Party lost seats in the House of Representatives. The Democrats did not flip a single Republican state legislature, leaving the GOP to again gerrymander Congressional and state legislative districts for the next decade!

Will all this lead to serious introspection by the Democratic Party? Don’t bet on it. The GOP tried to learn from their losses in 2012, which led to their big rebound. Already, the Democratic Party is looking for scapegoats, like third party candidates.

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Ralph Nader wrote a comment, thinking the Democrats didn't put enough effort into the best ways to get rid of Trump and that's why now the outcome is so meh for themdespite Biden elected: Apart From Defeating Trump, Why Did The Democrats Have Such a Bad Election Day?

Apart from barely squeezing through the swing states to defeat corrupt, incompetent, lying, corporatist Donald Trump, the Democratic Party had a bad election.

Loaded with nearly twice as much money as the Republican Party, the Democratic Party showed that weak candidates with no robust agendas for people where they live, work, and raise their families, is a losing formula. And lose they did against the worst, cruelest, ignorant, lawbreaking, reality-denying GOP in its 166-year history.

The Democrats failed to win the Senate, despite nearly having twice the number of Senators up for re-election than the Republicans. In addition, the Democratic Party lost seats in the House of Representatives. The Democrats did not flip a single Republican state legislature, leaving the GOP to again gerrymander Congressional and state legislative districts for the next decade!

Will all this lead to serious introspection by the Democratic Party? Don’t bet on it. The GOP tried to learn from their losses in 2012, which led to their big rebound. Already, the Democratic Party is looking for scapegoats, like third party candidates.

Yeah, it wouldn't have -anything- at all to do with rampant cheating, dismantling the postal service,... not at all. Because yeah, we're going to find that the gop won where they had no business wining.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Oh, also, pretty thrilled that, even after not living in Germany since I was 8 years old, I could follow her speech.

• 1Like
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
The Democrats failed to win the Senate, despite nearly having twice the number of Senators up for re-election than the Republicans. In addition, the Democratic Party lost seats in the House of Representatives.
Dems won (decisively) against Trump because he was an unfit president, so unfit that he was one of the very few presidents in our history to fail to secure a 2nd term. It was not a close race; it was a resounding defeat. For him.

We didn't win the Senate because many Republican voters split their ticket, throwing out Trump but not the down-ballot Republicans. They were unhappy with Trump, but not with the GOP. Enough Republicans voted that way to overcome the down-ballot Dem votes that are handicapped by gerrymandering, voter suppression and mail-in vote suppression. The lost mail-in votes would have meant an even larger win for Biden and might well have changed some down-ballot races; we'll never know for sure.

I'm so TIRED of people blaming the Democrats for being "weak", blithely brushing aside the overwhelming obstacles that we face in any election. We're fighting on so many fronts, not the least of which is as a nation deeply divided into different realities. There is no "strong" message that we can craft that will magically crack the Right/Conservative bubble created by Fox News and social media. Those bubbles are impervious to anything Dems say or do; our words and actions are simply denied. To keep blaming Dems for this situation is to miss the larger picture -- a very bleak picture -- of what is going wrong in this country.

Myradyl Muse

Mermaid Myradyl Muse
SL Rez
Dems won (decisively) against Trump because he was an unfit president, so unfit that he was one of the very few presidents in our history to fail to secure a 2nd term. It was not a close race; it was a resounding defeat. For him.

We didn't win the Senate because many Republican voters split their ticket, throwing out Trump but not the down-ballot Republicans. They were unhappy with Trump, but not with the GOP. Enough Republicans voted that way to overcome the down-ballot Dem votes that are handicapped by gerrymandering, voter suppression and mail-in vote suppression. The lost mail-in votes would have meant an even larger win for Biden and might well have changed some down-ballot races; we'll never know for sure.

I'm so TIRED of people blaming the Democrats for being "weak", blithely brushing aside the overwhelming obstacles that we face in any election. We're fighting on so many fronts, not the least of which is as a nation deeply divided into different realities. There is no "strong" message that we can craft that will magically crack the Right/Conservative bubble created by Fox News and social media. Those bubbles are impervious to anything Dems say or do; our words and actions are simply denied. To keep blaming Dems for this situation is to miss the larger picture -- a very bleak picture -- of what is going wrong in this country.
Absolutely this. ☝

Another analogy that comes to mind for me is blame the victim, not the abuser - applicable to domestic violence of many kinds. Enough of this, no more acceptance of this. Corruption, lying, cheating, gerrymandering, slimey backdoor shennanigans and criminally-verging deals are never equivalent to a 'fair fight'.

Jopsy Pendragon

I'm now giving negative Eff's. I'm in debt.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Oh, also, pretty thrilled that, even after not living in Germany since I was 8 years old, I could follow her speech.
Not me... I lived in the southern part of Germany as a kid, so the Bavarian / Schwäbisch is easier to follow but high german sounds alien. :D

Even so, she has a beautiful speaking voice, and I could follow about 30%-40% without the subtitles. :D

I so very much look forward to having a U.S. President once again able to actually conduct themself with as much dignity, class, and whatever the gender-neutral form of 'statesmanship' is.